Steam Era Freight Cars Website, was RE: Small tank cars

Schuyler Larrabee

[I]t's sad to
visit the Steam Era Freight Cars site these days, and find VERY little
that postdates 2003. I know Ted has an awful lot on his plate, but I'd
think there must be ways for this most promising site to continue.

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history
My thoughts exactly. I'm glad it's still there, but disappointed that it's not been continued, even
at a lower level of activity.

SGL

Database version: 6.12750

tmolsen@...

One big reason that Ted discontinued keeping the website up was that it was garnering a large amount of spam. With the other things that he was doing, it was not worth his time to continue adding to the site and weeding out the spam.

Regards,
Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Alan Palmer <rrgeekdev@...>

Would Ted Be willing to have someone take over the site?

Alan

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM, <tmolsen@...> wrote:
One big reason that Ted discontinued keeping the website up was that it was garnering a large amount of spam.  With the other things that he was doing, it was not worth his time to continue adding to the site and weeding out the spam.

Regards,
Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Alan Palmer
http://rrgeekdev.googlepages.com/home

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

Alan,

I seem to recall that someone did take over the site; I can't recall who it was; Ted had indicated with his Speedwitch Media obligations, he really didn't have the time to maintain the site.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Would Ted Be willing to have someone take over the site?

Alan

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM, <tmolsen@...> wrote:
> One big reason that Ted discontinued keeping the website up was that it was garnering a large amount of spam. With the other things that he was doing, it was not worth his time to continue adding to the site and weeding out the spam.
>
> Regards,
> Tom Olsen
> 7 Boundary Road, West Branch
> Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
> (302) 738-4292
> tmolsen@...

Alan Palmer
http://rrgeekdev.googlepages.com/home

Dennis Williams

I have asked him and he said that he had someone in mind.  I am still up for the task.   Dennis

tmolsen@udel. edu

Alan Palmer
http://rrgeekdev. googlepages. com/home

Paul Krueger <kruegerp@...>

Rob Adams took over the site. See message #72908.

Paul
Seattle, WA

--- In STMFC@..., "James F. Brewer" <jfbrewer@...> wrote:

Alan,

I seem to recall that someone did take over the site; I can't recall who it was; Ted had indicated with his Speedwitch Media obligations, he really didn't have the time to maintain the site.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD
Would Ted Be willing to have someone take over the site?

Alan

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM, <tmolsen@...> wrote:
> One big reason that Ted discontinued keeping the website up was that it was garnering a large amount of spam. With the other things that he was doing, it was not worth his time to continue adding to the site and weeding out the spam.
>
> Regards,
> Tom Olsen
> 7 Boundary Road, West Branch
> Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
> (302) 738-4292
> tmolsen@...

Alan Palmer
http://rrgeekdev.googlepages.com/home

Clark Cooper

In that message, he set up another email address and asked people to send him material for the site.

Did anybody do that?

I'm a relative newbie, so unfortunately I didn't have anything to contribute.
-Clark Cooper

On Jul 5, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Paul Krueger wrote:

Rob Adams took over the site. See message #72908.

Paul
Seattle, WA

--- In STMFC@..., "James F. Brewer" <jfbrewer@...> wrote:

Alan,

I seem to recall that someone did take over the site; I can't
recall who it was; Ted had indicated with his Speedwitch Media obligations, he really didn't have the time to maintain the site.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Gary Roe

As life has a way of doing, Rob has been under a lot of "outside influence" which has been in competition for his free time for well over a year now. The company he works for is located in Cedar Falls, Iowa. It was caught up in last years flooding, just after he lost one of the key people in his department. Once things started to get "back to normal" from all that, they decided to build a new plant, out of floods harm; and he has yet to be able to replace that "missing person" due to the economy. Not long ago, he was working 12-14 hour days, just trying to keep his head above water......so to speak.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Rob Adams took over the site. See message #72908.

Paul
Seattle, WA

--- In STMFC@..., "James F. Brewer" <jfbrewer@...> wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I seem to recall that someone did take over the site; I can't recall who it was; Ted had indicated with his Speedwitch Media obligations, he really didn't have the time to maintain the site.
>
> Jim Brewer
> Glenwood MD

I know someone who just finished the Rutland Railroad Historical
Society's site. He's a web guy and might be interested in taking it on
if there was interest?

Alan

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM, gary roe<wabashrr@...> wrote:
As life has a way of doing, Rob has been under a lot of "outside influence" which has been in competition for his free time for well over a year now.  The company he works for is located in Cedar Falls, Iowa.  It was caught up in last years flooding, just after he lost one of the key people in his department.  Once things started to get "back to normal" from all that, they decided to build a new plant, out of floods harm; and he has yet to be able to replace that "missing person" due to the economy.  Not long ago, he was working 12-14 hour days, just trying to keep his head above water......so to speak.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

 Rob Adams took over the site. See message #72908.

 Paul
 Seattle, WA

 --- In STMFC@..., "James F. Brewer" <jfbrewer@...> wrote:

 > Alan,
 >
 > I seem to recall that someone did take over the site; I can't recall who it was; Ted had indicated with his Speedwitch Media obligations, he really didn't have the time to maintain the site.
 >
 > Jim Brewer
 > Glenwood MD

jerryglow2

I believe he did have someone doing updates and corrections at one time as I remember sending some to the person but don't remember who it was.

Jerry Glow