Hoppers on the Rutland

Armand Premo

During the month of December 1950 249 hoppers were on Train#9.They were as follows:B&O 76,PRR 57, NYC 39 ,RDG 12,BWC 10 ,DL&W 9 ,D&H 8, WM 6 ,PL&E and LV 4 ,MRR, ERIE and N&W 3 ,CRP and PWV 2,1 ea for the following:CB&Q,L&N.NC&StL,NKP, CNW ,SOU ,NH ,PKY ,INT ,C&I ,CCO ,PS.I didn't check the total,but suspect that it is reasonably accurate.Can ,or should one draw any conclusions from the above? Your call.Armand Premo

Tim O'Connor

Armand, I think one obvious conclusion is that bituminous
coal predominated on the Rutland. I wonder how much of the
coal was for the Rutland's own consumption? Also, the three
largest owners all reached into northern New York state, so
this reinforces the idea that nearby railroads should be
more heavily represented than railroads further away.

What is reporting mark PS? Pittsburgh & Shawmut? And MRR?

What was the route of #9?

Tim O'Connor

During the month of December 1950 249 hoppers were on Train #9.
They were as follows:

B&O 76
PRR 57
NYC 39
RDG 12
BWC 10
DL&W 9
D&H 8
WM 6
P&LE 4
LV 4
MRR 3
ERIE 3
N&W 3
CRP 2
PWV 2
CB&Q 1
L&N 1
NC&StL 1
NKP 1
CNW 1
SOU 1
NH 1
PMcK&Y 1
INT 1
C&I 1
CCO 1
PS 1

I didn't check the total, but suspect that it is reasonably
accurate. Can or should one draw any conclusions from the
above? Your call.Armand Premo

mforsyth127

Tim O'Connor wrote:

What is reporting mark PS? Pittsburgh & Shawmut? And MRR?

Tim,

I would venture a guess that MRR stands for Montour Rail Road (I might be wrong), and belive that their actual reporting mark was just the letter "M".

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the DL&W, Erie, PRR,
NYC, and LV in "O" Scale
Elmira, NY 1951

SUVCWORR@...

PS? is Pittsburgh & Shamut

Montour was M? then MTR not MRR

The only reference to MRR I have is Mid-Atlantic RR from 1988 - 1996 when it was taken over? by the Carolina Southern RR.

Rich Orr

What is reporting mark PS? Pittsburgh & Shawmut? And MRR?

Tim,

I would venture a guess that MRR stands for Montour Rail Road (I might be
wrong), and belive that their actual reporting mark was just the letter "M".

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the DL&W, Erie, PRR,
NYC, and LV in "O" Scale
Elmira, NY 1951

Armand Premo

Tim,MRR is the Montour.Train # 9 is from Alburgh,Vt to the NYC interchange at Norwood,NY.Train # 9 for the most part was Train #19 from Rutland to Alburgh.Ben Hom did an analysis of company coal reports and this study would pretty much support your theory.and is essentially the same as the month of November.The surprises were the appearance of :Southern, L&N ,CB&Q,CCO ,NC&StL,PWV, INT , C&I ,CNW as well as PS.The Berwyn cars would come in on Train # 10 and would be interchanged with the CV at Alburgh.The BWC cars in Train # 9 were empties as were most of the hoppers in those trains.Armand Premo

Armand, I think one obvious conclusion is that bituminous
coal predominated on the Rutland. I wonder how much of the
coal was for the Rutland's own consumption? Also, the three
largest owners all reached into northern New York state, so
this reinforces the idea that nearby railroads should be
more heavily represented than railroads further away.

What is reporting mark PS? Pittsburgh & Shawmut? And MRR?

What was the route of #9?

Tim O'Connor

>During the month of December 1950 249 hoppers were on Train #9.
>They were as follows:
>
> B&O 76
> PRR 57
> NYC 39
> RDG 12
> BWC 10
> DL&W 9
> D&H 8
> WM 6
> P&LE 4
> LV 4
> MRR 3
> ERIE 3
> N&W 3
> CRP 2
> PWV 2
> CB&Q 1
> L&N 1
> NC&StL 1
> NKP 1
> CNW 1
> SOU 1
> NH 1
> PMcK&Y 1
> INT 1
> C&I 1
> CCO 1
> PS 1
>
>I didn't check the total, but suspect that it is reasonably
>accurate. Can or should one draw any conclusions from the
>above? Your call.Armand Premo

Armand Premo

Rich only reporting what was on the Wheel Report.Armand Premo

The only reference to MRR I have is Mid-Atlantic RR from 1988 - 1996 when it was taken over? by the Carolina Southern RR.

Rich Orr

> What is reporting mark PS? Pittsburgh & Shawmut? And MRR?

Tim,

I would venture a guess that MRR stands for Montour Rail Road (I might be
wrong), and belive that their actual reporting mark was just the letter "M".

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the DL&W, Erie, PRR,
NYC, and LV in "O" Scale
Elmira, NY 1951

SUVCWORR@...

Armand,

We all know handwriting can be difficult to read at times and typos do occur.? Considering the location of the T and R keys on a typewriter, a typo is entirely possible if this is a typed list.? I was just pointing out that MRR is not a reporting mark for the Montour.

Rich

Rich only reporting what was on the Wheel Report.Armand Premo
The only reference to MRR I have is Mid-Atlantic RR from 1988 - 1996 when it
was taken over? by the Carolina Southern RR.

Rich Orr

> What is reporting mark PS? Pittsburgh & Shawmut? And MRR?

Tim,

I would venture a guess that MRR stands for Montour Rail Road (I might be
wrong), and belive that their actual reporting mark was just the letter "M".

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the DL&W, Erie, PRR,
NYC, and LV in "O" Scale
Elmira, NY 1951

17:54:00

Armand

I look at it this way: about 10% of the cars are what I'd
call "oddballs" -- accidental tourists, as it were. That
seems about right to me, for coal hoppers, in the 1950's.
I don't count any of the likely anthracite cars (RDG/DL&W/
ERIE/LV/D&H) in that 10%, although they could easily have
gotten mixed into blocks of cars from the B&O/PRR/NYC. And
the P&LE cars could be mixed up with NYC cars.

Tim O'Connor

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Armand Premo wrote:
"...only reporting what was on the Wheel Report."

Rich Orr replied:
"We all know handwriting can be difficult to read at times and typos
do occur. Considering the location of the T and R keys on a
typewriter, a typo is entirely possible if this is a typed list. I
was just pointing out that MRR is not a reporting mark for the
Montour."

I have scanned copies of some of Armand's Wheel Reports.

1. The entries in the reports are hand written.

2. The entry indeed reads, "MRR".

3. The same clerk used shorthand for other roads, i.e., PRR was "PA"; NYC was "C".

Bottom line - examination of wheel reports and shifting lists revealed that clerks and conductors used shorthand and abbreviations in their paperwork. The researcher must be aware of this when analyzing these documents.

Ben Hom