NYC Hoppers

Ed Hawkins

On Jul 8, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

A start would be to explain why the Atlas, Accurail, Athearn, Stewart
and Kadee models are all incorrect for NYC... It was my impression
that
some of them are totally ok for NYC.
Tim and Rich,
The Kadee model is correct for NYC 867000-867999. The NYC color guide
book shows a hopper car circa 1953 with outside posts (862543) painted
freight car red with what appears to be black hopper bottoms. The slope
sheets are in shadow and the color cannot be determined from this
photo. Two series of offset-side cars but with shorter inside length
built by ACF in 1949 and 1952 had the sides and ends painted freight
car brown with black underframe and underside of slope sheets. The
prototype cars matching the Kadee model were built by Pressed Steel in
1945, and I think the reason that Kadee hasn't released a model is
because they haven't been able to confirm how the cars were painted.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Ed;

Do you think they've seen the photos in all of the Morning Sun books? I
recall more than one photo of that series in black. Isn't there also a
series of P&LE cars that match the Kadee twin? I have to say I am also
surprised Kadee has not taken advantage of the two P&LE schemes they had
applied to their PS-2's. The billboard scheme was applied to at least one
series that was a dead match to their car. What are your thoughts?

Elden Gatwood

[...]

Larry Kline

I have just uploaded a P&LE hopper roster in the files section. The file name is *P&LE hoppers.pdf* On the P&LE the most common hopper in the early 1950s was the USRA design triple hopper available in HO from Westerfield. Unfortunately this car is not available in O scale but it could be kitbashed from two USRA twin hoppers. I wrote an article about the USRA triples in the P&LE RR Historical Magazine *The Little Giant* Vol. 2 No. 2. The magazine is still available.
http://www.plerrhs.org/tlg/tlg_002_2/cover.shtml
As the editor of *The Little Giant* I would be delighted to receive freight car history and modeling articles.

Comprehensive info on NYC freight cars is available on Terry Link's web site
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/NYC-MODELS-FREIGHT.htm

There is a 1950 NYC Freight Car Diagram book on George Elwood's Fallen Flags web site
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-frt.html

Charles Smith wrote a great article about NYC USRA twin hoppers in the 3rd qtr 1980 issue of the NYC Historical Society magazine *The Central Headlight.* The story that I have heard is that there were many complaints form the NYCHS members about a freight car article. Over the years there has been very little freight car material in the magazine. Smith was a longtime NYC employee, a founder of the NYCHS, and editor of *The Central Headlight* from 1982 to 2008. He passed away in 2008. The new editor, Richard Stoving, has been publishing modeling articles.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Ed Hawkins

On Jul 9, 2009, at 9:48 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

Do you think they've seen the photos in all of the Morning Sun books?
recall more than one photo of that series in black. Isn't there also a
series of P&LE cars that match the Kadee twin? I have to say I am also
surprised Kadee has not taken advantage of the two P&LE schemes they
had
applied to their PS-2's. The billboard scheme was applied to at least
one
series that was a dead match to their car. What are your thoughts?
Elden,
Kadee has seen the hopper photos in the NYC color guide book. No P&LE
cars match the Kadee open hopper model. The offset twins (4000-4999)
had an inside length of 31'-6" like many of the NYC offset twins. The
P&LE PS-2s had the bulkheads painted black. This causes a decoration
issue, which I believe Kadee is working on. There were a few other
PS-2s having black bulkheads such as N&W and some NAHX cars, which are
also awaiting models to be produced by Kadee.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

SUVCWORR@...

Ed,

Thanks for catching that.? I left those off the list I posted.? There are other lots for which the Kadee is close but not exact.

Rich Orr

[...]

Ray Breyer

What about the Stewart 14-panel outside-rib triple?
Is it a good representation? How much of the fleet did
they comprise? By AAR std offset triple are you covering
both the Stewart and Accurail offerings, or is there
something wrong with them? Both those types seemed to have
been very prevalent in the early 60's in my neck of the woods
(Pgh). In what ways are the Kadee twins wrong?  In what ways
are all of the above right and wrong for the P&LE?
Thanks,
Elden Gatwood

Hi Elden,

Let me get this out in the open right away: I'm NOT an"expert" on NYC hoppers. I'm just a noisy P&E modeler who knows that he needs something like 20 of these cars to replicate loads coming out of a big strip mine and up through the IC's charter line to Chicago, Madison and Ft Dodge. I know that for the 1945-1955 period the NYC's offset twins are the most prevalent type in the Midwest (and were leased to a couple of roads from time to time), know that nobody makes a model of them, and know that I need them!

That said, here's what I'm seeing based on the 1950 NYC freight car diagram book, cross referenced with the 1950 NYC ORER listing.

In general, the NYC had 22 types of hoppers on their roster (cross referencing the ORER car number listings with the diagram's lot and series numbers). I'll list them by NYC diagram book PAGE number, rather than by NYC lot number for brevity's sake. After the core dimensions I've also listed the car type quantities in 1950 (NYC/system roads) and what I think is an appropriate, correct, OUT OF THE BOX model to work with. There are several pre-USRA twins that I'm not sure about, and there are two types of offset side triples. I don't have an Accurail or Stewart model to measure for correctness, so someone's going to have to fill in the blanks.

H-1: 8 panel pre-USRA ribbed twin. 30' IL, 10'6" OH. 0/2
(GLa clone? Bowser?)
H-3: 9 panel pre-USRA ribbed twin. 30' IL, 11' OH. 0/924
H-5: 8 panel pre-USRA ribbed twin. 30' IL, 10' or 10'6" OH.
803/0 (GLa clone? Bowser?)
H-7: 8 panel pre-USRA ribbed twin. 30' IL 10'6" OH. 4123/0
(GLa clone? Bowser?)
H-9: 12 panel pre-USRA ribbed triple. 38'10" IL, 11' OH.
0/1591
H-11: 8 panel USRA ribbed twin & clones. 30'6" IL,
10'8" OH. 6571/1 (Accurail et al)
H-15: 8 panel USRA clone ribbed twins. 30'6" IL, 10'8" OH.
4555/1 (Accurail et al)
H-17: 8 panel USRA clone ribbed twins. 30'6" IL, 10'9" OH.
987/0 (Accurail et al)
H-19: 10 panel USRA 70 ton triple. 39' IL, 10'8" OH.
8890/4732 (Westerfield)
H-21: offset twin, short taper. 30'6" IL, 10'11" OH. 983/49

H-23: offset triple, short taper, clam or saw center door.
39' IL, 10'8" OH. 987/490
H-25: 10 panel blister side triple. 38'10" IL, 10'8" OH.
0/30
H-27: 10 panel ribbed triple. 38'10" IL, 10'8" OH. 444/0
H-29: offset triple, short taper. 39' IL, 10'8" OH. 0/498
(Accurail? See also H-55)
H-35: 12 panel blister side triple. 34'10" IL, 10'8" OH.
0/4
H-37: 8 panel blister side USRA twin. 30'6" IL, 10'8" OH.
194/1396 (Accurail, Tichy)
H-39: 8 panel blister side pre-USRA twin. 30' IL, 10'8" OH.
432/0
H-41: 8 panel blister side pre-USRA twin. 30' IL, 11" OH.
0/878
H-45: offset twin, short taper. 31'6" IL, 11' OH. 4963/0
H-49: offset twin, short taper. 33' IL, 10'8" OH. 995/0
(Athearn)
H-53: offset twin, long taper. 31'6" IL, 11' OH. 5997/1149
H-55: offset triple, short taper. 40'8" IL, 10'8" OH.
0/1000 (Accurail? Different than H-29's)

So....this is 53,698 NYCS hoppers. If ALL of my model assumptions above are correct (and I highly doubt they are!) then 66% of the NYC hopper fleet and 64.7% of the overall NYCS fleet can be modeled. In that case I'll be quiet, but will STILL want someone to make a model of those 13,141 short offset twins on the roster, considering that for the NYC, they were the hopper equivalent to free-roaming boxcars.

If anyone can shed some light on my assumptions and SWAGs above, please do!

Regards,

Ray Breyer

proto48er

Larry -

Thanks for the excellent P&LE hopper car roster!

That was indeed a nice article back in 1980 about NYC hoppers in the "Headlight." I recall at least one other short article there concerning triple USRA hoppers. I think these were the impetus for Bob Parri to make and sell some NYC "O" scale brass models.

Bob Parri made a series of brass NYC triple hoppers in "O" scale back in 1985-1987. In 1985, he made/sold about (65) USRA NYC triple hoppers using erection drawings provided by the late Lance Vail (not sure I spelled his name correctly.) These were quite popular models, and he repeated the run in 1987, making (50) more USRA triples, (5) "Rochester rebuild" triples (pictured in a "Headlight" article), (5) NYC early "triples" with the shallow center bay, and two C&O "triples" with shallow bay and heap shields. The rebuilds (somewhat ugly) and the earlier models were not very popular, as he only had requests to make (12) total of them.

In addition to the above, Parri made about (60) USRA double hoppers in 1987, along with (65) standard USRA doubles and (5) "Rochester rebuilds" of the USRA double. The "NYC USRA doubles" had two internal braces, but no crossbraces like the standard USRA cars had.

Lance Vail also provided the erection drawings to Parri for his series of USRA steel 45" low side gons and container cars. I think he provided drawings to Overland for their #0780/O NYC double panel hopper import (less than ten of these on the prototype - were featured in a 1980-81 era "Headlight" aslo).

Mr. Vail may have also provided the info to Pat O'Boyle for his marvelous USRA steel boxcar project, where he (as Pacific Limited) imported approximately (12) different versions of these cars. These cars, although very numerous on the prototype, were NOT popular with modelers, and it took a long time for Pat to sell all of them. Pat had considered writing a short article for Mainline Modeler about these cars to acquaint the "buying public" with their existence; however, the article was never run.

What happened to Mr. Vail's treasure trove of NYC information? I am sure that sufficient plans and photos were in it that would provide any manufacturer/importer with data for some, if not all, of the above mentioned cars.

Except for the USRA steel boxcars, all of the above cars were popular with "O" scalers - they should be equally popular with guys in other scales.

A.T. Kott

--- In STMFC@..., Larry Kline <lndkline@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

The NYCHS has digitized their entire collection of drawings and there
a couple of CDs full of hopper drawings.
They are still working on getting a full index out for public use.

Roger Hinman

On Jul 9, 2009, at 4:19 PM, proto48er wrote:

[...]

Alan Palmer <rrgeekdev@...>

How much are these CD's?

Alan

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Roger Hinman<rhinman@...> wrote:
[...]

http://rrgeekdev.googlepages.com/home

Virtually all of the material compiled, collected and owned by H. Lansing
Vail is in the possession of the NYCSHS. Regrettably the NYCSHS does not
have a facility suitable for proper storage, much less research. So, while
Lans' files remain intact they are not readily accessible.

H.T. Guillaume, Director, NYCSHS
**************Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.

James Yaworsky

--- In STMFC@..., Alan Palmer <rrgeekdev@...> wrote:

How much are these CD's?

Alan

from the NYCHS website: http://nycshs.blogspot.com/search?q=cd

Drawing CDs Now Available
Through grants by the generosity of the DeLong-Sweet Foundation, The Amherst Railway Society, and a member who wishes to remain anonymous, the Society has been able to digitize the majority of our official drawing collection. There are approximately 12,000 drawings available on Compact Disk covering approximately seventy different categories, including all steam locomotive classes, painting and lettering drawings, passenger cars, freight cars, MDT cars, diesel and electric locomotives, and others. This collection will be invaluable to modelers who model specific motive power and equipment. There are over 400 drawings available for J-1 Hudsons, over 800 drawings available for J-3 Hudsons, and over 700 drawings available for Niagaras and L-4 Mohawks, to cite a few examples. In addition, CDs are available of Valuation maps of the Boston & Albany main line, and CDs are also available of some equipment diagram books.

The price per CD for as many drawings as will fit on each CD is $45.00, postpaid. Ohio residents must add $3.25 sales tax. Depending on file size, between 27 and 400 drawings will fit on a CD. Purchasers are required to sign an End User License Agreement (EULA) which limits use of the files to the purchaser, prohibits electronic mailing and posting, etc. The Directors believe that if the files were to be posted, the value of the collection would be compromised, to the detriment of our members. Inquiries must include a contact phone number and email address, and should be made to:

NYCSHS Drawing CD
Dept W
PO Box 81184
Cleveland, OH 44181-0184

I hope this info helps.

Jim Yaworsky
Windsor, Ontario
NYCHS member...

Alan Palmer <rrgeekdev@...>

So how does one find out what building plans are in this collection?

Alan

--
Alan Palmer
Ottawa, Ontario

Sent from my TelusMobility wireless device.

[...]

I shall ask, and get back to you.

Jim Yaworsky

[...]

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 10, 2009, at 11:21 AM, mguill1224@... wrote:

Virtually all of the material compiled, collected and owned by H.
Lansing
Vail is in the possession of the NYCSHS. Regrettably the NYCSHS
does not
have a facility suitable for proper storage, much less research.
So, while
Lans' files remain intact they are not readily accessible.

And the NYCSHS is doing what about this? Other historical societies
(and not just those for the larger railroads) have either established
their own archives or contracted with existing libraries or museums
to store and catalog materials so that they are readily available.
Mr. Vail, when he was alive, and the NYCSHS in general, have never
been forthcoming with access to their collections, not even to
members (except perhaps for a select few) and especially not to non-
members. What good is a historical society if its holdings are held
in disorganized limbo where they can't be accessed?

Richard Hendrickson