Topics

the Great Unwashed (was NYC hoppers)

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Dave
Lehlbach started Tangent Scale Models, and just recently
Chris Clune started a major new operation, Exactrail. The
Great Unwashed are buying very few of their models.<

I checked both sites and they have very good products. I'm wondering what the distribution system is? Do most LHSs carry them? I think this is probably important for the "Great Unwashed" as I'm guessing they do very little mail-order. As they would not be concerned with hunting for accurate models but something they see and like I think the product would have to be in a LHS!
The era is wrong for me.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

jerryglow2

I haven't been to Happy Hobo in Tampa for a long time but was there Wednesday and noted they have both company's produces. But they are IMO a very good hobby shop with a good assortment of freight cars due to the manager's interest.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Miller" <atsf@...> wrote:

Dave
Lehlbach started Tangent Scale Models, and just recently
Chris Clune started a major new operation, Exactrail. The
Great Unwashed are buying very few of their models.<

I checked both sites and they have very good products. I'm wondering
what the distribution system is? Do most LHSs carry them? I think this is
probably important for the "Great Unwashed" as I'm guessing they do very
little mail-order. As they would not be concerned with hunting for accurate
models but something they see and like I think the product would have to be
in a LHS!
The era is wrong for me.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tim O'Connor

Jon

The business model is applicable to the steam era too. Want
to bring out a prototypical 1950's TOFC car with round nose
trailers? Or an Ethyl tank car? Or.... [ fill in the blank ]

All you need is time, money, a business plan, a web site, a
good toolmaker, and Chinese manufacturing. :-) Oh and keep it
under your hat! That may be the most important thing.

Exactrail does sell through hobby shops at short discount -
like Intermountain, Kadee and Red Caboose. Tangent does not.

Tim O'Connor

I checked both sites and they have very good products. I'm wondering
what the distribution system is? Do most LHSs carry them? I think this is
probably important for the "Great Unwashed" as I'm guessing they do very
little mail-order. As they would not be concerned with hunting for accurate
models but something they see and like I think the product would have to be
in a LHS!
The era is wrong for me.

Jon Miller

W.R.Dixon

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Exactrail does sell through hobby shops at short discount -
like Intermountain, Kadee and Red Caboose. Tangent does not.
There is the problem, a short discount. Add in that you have to pay the freight and you are closing in on no discount. That means no profit. No profit means a store will not stock it. Add in a requirement to buy a LARGE minimum amount of their product in a year and that adds up to no sale.

A pity because they are very good products and should be in stores.

Bill Dixon

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

I'm with Gene.
When IM came out with the ART car in meat reefer paint schemes all the locals here were interested in is if the paint schemes match those in Gene Reefer book. They came to my house with cars in hand to look at the book. They held the models up next to the photos and were happy. They could care less if the car was accurate. It was close enough. Just what IM had in mind.

It took years to get Kadee to do that M&StL red 50er. They did their PS2 covered hopper in a pre-56 paint scheme with 2 numbers I don't think it sold well. Now, if they were to do the later version of the car in the post 56 scheme....
Clark Propst

Alan Palmer <rrgeekdev@...>

I, and others, have lobbied Kadee for more Rutland PS-1's in the
Yellow, Green and Black scheme. The reply we've all gotten is that
their painters and assemblers would protest if they ran that
complicated scheme too soon.

I know that three numbers of their cars is not enough. :)

ALan

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:25 PM, rockroll50401<cepropst@netconx.net> wrote:
I'm with Gene.
When IM came out with the ART car in meat reefer paint schemes all the locals here were interested in is if the paint schemes match those in Gene Reefer book. They came to my house with cars in hand to look at the book. They held the models up next to the photos and were happy. They could care less if the car was accurate. It was close enough. Just what IM had in mind.

It took years to get Kadee to do that M&StL red 50er. They did their PS2 covered hopper in a pre-56 paint scheme with 2 numbers I don't think it sold well. Now, if they were to do the later version of the car in the post 56 scheme....
Clark Propst

Alan Palmer
http://rrgeekdev.googlepages.com/home

Tim O'Connor

Kadee does custom runs -- just offer to pay more!

Tim O'Connor