HO Tichy tank car underframe...

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

I was reading the latest RMC today, starting with Ted Cullota's article on modelling AC&F Type 11 tank cars.

Comments, please, on using the Tichy tank car underframe for modelling that on AC&F built Type 11 cars? Accurate/needs some work/needs a lot of work/totally useless?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Lucas.

barrybennetttoo <Barrybennetttoo@...>

Not a hope.

The Tichy car is bogus, it was a design by AAR which was never taken up,
although a smallish number of similar cars were built for the US military.
These cars were designed for use (if I remember correctly) somewhere about
the time of WW2. By this time the tank car nomenclature was Type 103, 105
etc, each being represented by the Red Caboose type 103W (W for welded) and
the Atlas Type 105 insulated tank car.

The 'Type 11' description relates to an ACF car based on drawings
implemented in 1911, hence the '11'. The Proto 2000 tank car is a Type 21,
drawing implemented in, you guessed it, 1921, the Intermountain car a Type
27.

The main problem is that these are all ACF cars but the greatest part of the
tank car fleet was UTLX. Only Speedwitch Media and Sunshine Models do
significant alternatives.

Barry Bennett

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Barry Bennett wrote:
The Tichy car is bogus, it was a design by AAR which was never taken up, although a smallish number of similar cars were built for the US military. These cars were designed for use (if I remember correctly) somewhere about
the time of WW2.
Good basic thought, Barry, but wrong agency and wrong war <g>. It's a USRA tank car, circa WW I, and was never built by the USRA. What you're remembering is the similar though not identical Ware Emergency tank cars of WW II.

By this time the tank car nomenclature was Type 103, 105 etc, each being represented by the Red Caboose type 103W (W for welded) and the Atlas Type 105 insulated tank car.
The Red Caboose car is a relatively rare prototype of circa 1950 or later. The At;as car is only one (and a rather large one) of the various Type 105 designs.
All that said, the Tichy UNDERFRAME is not at all bad. Numerous authors, including Mark Feddersen, have used it over the years for kitbashed tank cars.
(Normally I'd wait for Richard Hendrickson to answer this, but I know he's en route to the Santa Fe meet.)

Publishers of books on railroad history

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I used a Tichy underframe and either a RC or IM tank. The problem is this car has been in the construction bin so long I forgot what I was doing. My understanding is the Tichy underframe is good but not with the tank that's on it.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

feddersenmark

After reading Ted's article in the latest RMC, I was wondering the same thing. I have not had time to study the details and dimensions of the Type 11 underframe in depth, but at first glance it appears doable with not much work. One detail that stands out is the lightly constructed side sills and only 4 rivets at the end of the bolster compared to 6 for the Tichy underframe. I suspect the ends of the frames are also different than the Tichy car, but that should be an easy fix. I will be using the Tichy frame when I do these cars, mainly because I have a ton of the Tichy cars, I don't want to buy the F&C cars just for the frame and I prefer working with styrene. Mark Feddersen

--- In STMFC@..., "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

I was reading the latest RMC today, starting with Ted Cullota's article on modelling AC&F Type 11 tank cars.

Comments, please, on using the Tichy tank car underframe for modelling that on AC&F built Type 11 cars? Accurate/needs some work/needs a lot of work/totally useless?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Lucas.

Barry Bennett <Barrybennetttoo@...>

Apologies to one and all re this message, and especially to Steve.

By dint of the inevitable coincidence I was in email conversation with somebody who is fairly new to modelling US railroads and we were have a fairly superficial chat establishing a general timeline for freight cars in general terms.

My Web browser threw up Steve's message which I assumed was part of my conversation.

NOTE TO SELF 1:- Check message address before sending.

NOTE TO SELF 3:- It may be wiser to hold conversations through email site rather than Web browser.

Retires to corner in embarrassment.

Mind you, the replies are, as usual, full of excellent information which I will one day put to use in my model railroad.

Barry Bennett