Sunshine XM-1 BAR boxcars

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

I compared the road names on the Sunshine flyer for the XM-1 bpxcar with pratt truss against my 1955 ORER CD from Westerfield. The Sunshine flyer lists the number series for BAR as 61100-599. There were no cars in this number series for BAR in the 1955 CD.

I checked the RPI site and discovered these cars were renumbered. There are some photos on the pay side circa 1950 and later with these cars being in the 1000 series and 3000 series.

I then checked this against the 1955 ORER CD, which indicates the 1000-1599 are "old numbers" and 3000-3599 are "new numbers." Presumably, some of these cars could have carried three different road numbers.

According to the ORER, BAR had 572 on the roster in 1955.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Marty McGuirk

Jim,

Assuming your post is accurately quoting the Sunshine flyer (I don't have it in front of me) I'd venture a guess that there's a typo on the flyer and it should read "1000-1500"!

Yes, the cars were renumbered (a process which took several years based on photos that we know were taken in early 1957 with one of cars clearly visible numbered in the 1000-series.

This is a true signature car for the railroad, and I'm glad to see some "state of the art" cars of this type becoming available. Naturally, I just about finished upgrading two old Yankee Clipper models I have. If Murphy keeps plotting against me once I buy some of these new Sunshine kits then someone will release them in plastic!

Marty