Topics

New Lackawanna box car models available

Schuyler Larrabee

The Erie Lackawanna Historical Society has worked closely with Intermountain to produce a unique
model, exclusive with the ELHS. It is a combination of sides, ends and roof which has not been
previously produced, and exactly matches the prototype.

These are steam era freight cars, built in January and February 1950. The repack date is 8/55, but
that is easily weathered and replaced. The cars are assembled models. The ELHS worked very hard to
get the lettering on these models as correct as we can, working especially the distinctive "Phoebe
Snow" lettering.

If you go to www.erielack.org these cars are on the website's front page, and you can order on
line. I have a pair, and can attest that they are very well done. Note that we will be producing
another series based on this same molding, which will be available later this year, and will have a
different lettering arrangement.

I should mention that I am not entirely disinterested in these models, as I am a member of the ELHS
Board. These cars will serve to support out publishing efforts.

I appreciate Mike Brock's permission for this mildly commercial post. Thanks Mike.

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

Database version: 6.13020

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote: in part:

The Erie Lackawanna Historical Society has worked closely with Intermountain to produce a unique
model, exclusive with the ELHS. It is a combination of sides, ends and roof which has not been
previously produced, and exactly matches the prototype.

These are steam era freight cars, built in January and February 1950.
As nice as it will be for many to have these cars available I suspect the 1950 built date will be a bit of a stretch for most of
us who are seriously "steam era". With the exception of the Central Vermont most of the larger steam power on other New England roads was gone by that point. While the effort is commended I hope earlier prototypes will be forthcoming too.

Don Valentine

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Don Valentine writes:

As nice as it will be for many to have these cars available I suspect the 1950 built date will be a bit of a stretch for most of
us who are seriously "steam era". With the exception of the Central Vermont most of the larger steam power on other New England roads was gone by that point.
Well...not being that familiar with New England RR's I certainly won't argue against that. However. If the STMFC has done nothing more to expand the general information about frt cars...and, in this case...box cars...surely it has shown with no doubt at all that box cars traveled all around the US. Thus, we have films showing NYC and PA box cars on short lines in the Cascades, FEC box cars on Sherman Hill, ATSF box cars on Long Island...etc., etc., and wheel reports stating the same thing. So...why would 1950 be a stretch for a steam era RR? Certainly REAL HE RR's like UP, SP, ATSF, Pennsy, NP, GN, L&N, MP, C&O and N&W found steam powered locomotion to be quite acceptable in 1950.

Mike Brock

MDelvec952 <MDelvec952@...>

In a message dated 08/12/09 00:34:08 Eastern Daylight Time, schuyler.larrabee@... writes:
These are steam era freight cars, built in January and February 1950. The repack date is 8/55, but
that is easily weathered and replaced. The cars are assembled models.
-----------------------

Steam era, yes, on the N&W, NKP and UP during the harvests. Nice cars, yes.

Remember, though, that this initial offering is in a lettering scheme that began mid-1955. The offering coming in a couple of months will be in the 1942 Phoebe Snow billboard factory applied to a 1950-built car.

I'm not aware of a decorated Phoebe boxcar before the ELHS offering that's yet been done in the correct combination of lettering, artwork, era and details. Some have had modern typefaces, wrong number series for the door style, or a mixture of 1942 and 1955 elements on the same car, shop lettering on a factory painted car and vice-versa, wrong colors, and so on. And we won't get into the blue-box Athearn boxcar from many years ago.

The current ELHS offering represents a couple of rare cars of which photos exist, showing factory lettering on a repainted car, which is very interesting.

Full disclosure: I am an ELHS member and was part of the imagineering team. I have two of the current cars, but plan to load up the next version. And I hope ELHS will produce the more numerous 1937 car with the 4/5 dreadnaught end with the correct lettering and door styles.

Mike Del Vecchio

Tim O'Connor

Mike Del Vecchio wrote

I'm not aware of a decorated Phoebe boxcar before the ELHS offering
that's yet been done in the correct combination of lettering, artwork,
era and details.
Are there problems with Branchline kit #1912 (50ft car)?
And Red Caboose #8010 (1944 paint) and #8069 (1955 paint)?

Tim O'Connor

MDelvec952@...

After shutting down the computer I thought that comment would create questions asking for a lot of specifics.? And thus my middle-age is showing, as?I can't recall everything since?I didn't buy any because of something I saw at first glance in the hobby shop that wasn't correct and easily fixable.? I did buy loads of undecs, though.

The 50-foot car from Branchline has an incorrect?typeface on the reporting mark and?the large lettering over it is a modern one, or at least not the exact one used in 1956 (common problem). And I kinda recall that the billboard on the model was the 1942 version, but I'd have to see one today.? The color wasn't right on, but that can be fixed in the weathering.? Here's a link to a photo of the model:? http://www.branchline-trains.com/blueprint/50boxcars/50welded/1912.jpg.? While this car is too new for my era, I'd have bought a couple to support it.

From memory, most billboard cars?had typeface and billboard placement issues. And check the numers to make sure the Superior and Youngstown doors are correct.? I'll post those number series from home.

Some of these models are blurring together.? I remember one with black ends on a car that didn't have them (only portions of the 54000-series and higher had black ends).? The IMWX 1937 cars had poling pockets, and Jerry Porter offered them in the correct pre-Phoebe lettering. Any subsequently in billboards through 1955-ish were repainted by?DL&W?and had that version, though what's been offered on models has?factory lettering. Repaints post-1956-'57-ish were done?outside of DL&W's own shops and had significant varations, including no billboard at all.?

Nipping the poling pockets and finishing the corners is an easy thing that would not keep me from buying a well-lettered model.

One of the complications is that there were two billboards, one in 1942 and 1955, with slight differences in artwork and placement, and the stencils at the home shop were slightly different than those at the factory.? The result is that?it's too easy to mix up the artwork (most kit makers lift any billboard to put on any car, then change the numbers, including?resin kit-makers. And?lots of?kit-offered decals?don't have?consistent?verticals and curves.).?

Prime Mover Decals did the artwork for the ELHS cars, and I'm sure they'll be adding accurate decals to its line.

Mike Del Vecchio

I'm not aware of a decorated Phoebe boxcar before the ELHS offering
that's yet been done in the correct combination of lettering, artwork,
era and details.
Are there problems with Branchline kit #1912 (50ft car)?
And Red Caboose #8010 (1944 paint) and #8069 (1955 paint)?

Thanks for the explanations Mike.

The 50-foot car from Branchline has an incorrect typeface on the
reporting mark and the large lettering over it is a modern one, or
at least not the exact one used in 1956 (common problem).

I'm looking at a 40ft box car photo, and the reporting marks look
exactly right -- except for the Ampersand on the model, which is
clearly a different (wrong) style. As for the large lettering, it
looks the same on the two cars (40ft and 50ft) but since I don't
have a photo of a 50ft car I don't know if it's right.

I'm surprised that Branchline got it wrong since they usually did
artwork straight from photos.

I wish the ELHS cars were kits. I like to pre-weather parts before
assembly.

Tim O'Connor

MDelvec952@...

As luck would have it, here's an ebay listing for the Branchline car, a classic 1937 10' IH car modeled after that Whitaker collection photo of the 51300 that shows up often. The model has black ends and roof, which the prototype did not. The word LACKAWANNA above the billboard should be of a heavier line weight?and the reporting mark type looks like it was lifted from the photo and its line wieght got thin in the horizontal areas.? Here's the link:? http://cgi.ebay.com/Yardmaster-HO-Kits-AAR-40-DL-W-Boxcar-VERY-detailed_W0QQitemZ400066562376QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item5d25d34948&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It's a shame as this was one of Lackawanna's most numerous boxcar models and every steam-era modeler can justify some.? Granted, it's a Yardmaster series car, but it would have been less expensive to make it correct. And what modeler wouldn't buy a common car that's correct?? This model didn't separate this fool and his money.

I did buy a bunch of the IMWX undec kits, and?nipped off?the poling pockets.? When our railroad club was restoring and painting DL&W caboose 896, which wore the very same Glidden No. 204 Standard Brown, I brought a few of the IMWX cars trackside and shot them in Dupont's Centari 5000 of that color. Yes, the paint is a little thick, but they are novel.? And with CDS decals,?home-made styrene running boards, wire?stirrups and other details?they look great. I numbered one 51896 with the correct doors in honor of the caboose.

Artwork from photos isn't always the best. I don't know how many reading this have dabbled in the various artwork software packages, but a scan from a photo for the purpose of conversion to decal artwork?always has jagged edges and the artist has to fill in the jags and pixels with a hard edge, the graphic equivalent of drawing a hard edge with an ink pen.? Typographers understand how type is drawn, and they can use the portions of some characters to scale others to maintain a consistent look and proper curves. It's a time consuming process.

Mike Del Vecchio

(Feeling a little sad for the loss of Les Paul, who I got to know over the past eight years or so.? I enjoyed hearing his stories of the old days when he walked with kings.? He was a railroad buff, experimented with strings and magnetic pickups mounted on a piece of rail in Waukesha before building that first guitar. My favorite of his old stories was about operating the Lionel trains on Groucho Marx's large?basement layout. Les derailed one, and Groucho wouldn't let him put it back on the track, Groucho insisted on bringing out the big hook and rerailing with that.)

The 50-foot car from Branchline has an incorrect typeface on the
reporting mark and the large lettering over it is a modern one, or
at least not the exact one used in 1956 (common problem).
I'm looking at a 40ft box car photo, and the reporting marks look
exactly right -- except for the Ampersand on the model, which is
clearly a different (wrong) style. As for the large lettering, it
looks the same on the two cars (40ft and 50ft) but since I don't
have a photo of a 50ft car I don't know if it's right.

I'm surprised that Branchline got it wrong since they usually did
artwork straight from photos.

I wish the ELHS cars were kits. I like to pre-weather parts before
assembly.

Tim O'Connor

Eric Hansmann

Mike Del Vecchio wrote:

[...]

=================================

Well, this fool bought a few Yardmaster kits at about $8 each and thought they were a pretty
good deal. The word on this list was that Branchline was striving for prototype paint and
lettering on their models - Blueprint and Yardmaster models. My DL&W effort can be seen at the
bottom of this page:
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/73

I note there were five different lots of these cars built for the DL&W. There must have been at
least one car from one of these lots that were painted with black ends and roof and
photographed for posterity. Seems that a compamy like Branchline, that corrected a mold for a
wrong length box car, would be double-certain of their data early in production. Documentation
for the five DL&W lots of these cars can be found on this PDF:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1937aarpdfmain.html

An additional four Branchline Yardmaster upgrades can be seen here:
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/74

Eric

Eric Hansmann
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Starting over in a new house:
http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/

MDelvec952 <MDelvec952@...>

In a message dated 08/14/09 12:42:55 Eastern Daylight Time, eric@... writes:
Well, this fool bought a few Yardmaster kits at about $8 each and thought they were a pretty
good deal. The word on this list was that Branchline was striving for prototype paint and
lettering on their models - Blueprint and Yardmaster models. My DL&W effort can be seen at the
bottom of this page:
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/73

More foot-in-mouth -- I didn't mean to imply that anyone who bought one was a fool. I didn't buy one. The molded on ladders would have kept me away as well though I liked that Branchline was offering sides, ends and roofs separately.
Interesting blog, by the way. Might see if I can post some photos in a similar venue to provide links.

There were five lots, yes, as far as modelers are concerned. The railroad considered all 10' IH cars as one group, so there were more lots than that listed in DL&W recordkeeping. The 49000-series cars had poling pockets, the 51000-series and up did not. The 49000-series were delivered pre-Phoebe billboard, the 51000-series were the first cars delivered in the Phoebe billboard, in 1942. The 51750-51999 had Superior doors, the rest Youngstown. The 52500- and 53000-series cars had modern and modern-improved dreadnaught ends, respectively, the latter group represented by the ELHS cars.

Black ends didn't begin until the 54000-series and 55000-series of 10'5" and 10'6" IH cars. And on the 50-foot cars of 1956, 12000-series. Looking through some photos, I see that a couple of repaints of the latter series have brown ends.

....Mike Del Vecchio

I note there were five different lots of these cars built for the DL&W. There must have been at
least one car from one of these lots that were painted with black ends and roof and
photographed for posterity. Seems that a compamy like Branchline, that corrected a mold for a
wrong length box car, would be double-certain of their data early in production. Documentation
for the five DL&W lots of these cars can be found on this PDF:
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/1937aarpdfmain.html

An additional four Branchline Yardmaster upgrades can be seen here:
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/74

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

All this discussion of DL&W box cars has made me curious about the DL&W's 46000 and 48000 series box cars which seem to have been single-sheathed box cars. Can anyone refer me to a source of information on these cars?

Gene Green