Topics

Need GTW roster info

Dennis Storzek

Any Grand Trunk Western experts here? There is a gentleman asking on the Railway Preservation News Interchange board for builder information on a boxcar that a transfer caboose in their collection was rebuilt from.

The car is presently GTW 75072, rebuilt at the Port Huron car shops in the early seventies.

They found the number GTW 515165 on the frame, and would like builder and built date info on the original car to complete their history.

Thanx,

Dennis

Ed Hawkins

On Aug 12, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:

They found the number GTW 515165 on the frame, and would like builder
and built date info on the original car to complete their history.
Dennis,
GTW 515000-515499 were 40' all-steel riveted postwar AAR box cars with
7' door openings & Youngstown doors, 4/4 Improved Dreadnaught Ends, and
Murphy panel roofs. They were built by Pullman-Standard ca. 1-48 (lot
no. 5891). I'm aware of two in-service photos from the series. Richard
Burg has a good 3/4 photo of 515067 in original paint and Bob's Photo
has a side view of 515293 repainted 6-61 with a maple leaf emblem.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Dennis Storzek

Thanks Ed. I'll pass the info along, with credit. I never cease to be amazed (appalled, really) at how hard it is for railway museums to find this information that we take for granted.

By the way, the transfer caboose has recently been restored at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum, North Judson, Indiana.

Dennis