Topics

Thermice

Schuyler Larrabee

At the North Shore Model Railroad Club, we have a Thermice tank car, which, we think, carried carbon
dioxide. We'd like to make some realistic waybills for it.

One of the other guys has found a location of the company in Thorofare, NJ, near Paulsboro. That
looks like a dry ice plant, not a place that would originate CO2.

Can anyone provide information on where those cars might have carried CO2 from and to ?

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

Database version: 6.13030

al_brown03

Dry ice is solid CO2.

To be continued, after I look up manufacturing methods ...

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

At the North Shore Model Railroad Club, we have a Thermice tank car, which, we think, carried carbon
dioxide. We'd like to make some realistic waybills for it.

One of the other guys has found a location of the company in Thorofare, NJ, near Paulsboro. That
looks like a dry ice plant, not a place that would originate CO2.

Can anyone provide information on where those cars might have carried CO2 from and to ?

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

Database version: 6.13030

CO2 can be recovered from combustion or chemical processes. It
has many uses. The model you mention belongs on the scrap heap! :-)
There are no HO scale models of CO2 tank cars (the kind with
cylindrical tanks). In the 1950's most CO2 was shipped in
solid form (dry ice) in heavily insulated reefers. There are
models for those.

Tim O'

At 8/12/2009 10:19 PM Wednesday, you wrote:
At the North Shore Model Railroad Club, we have a Thermice tank car, which, we think, carried carbon
dioxide. We'd like to make some realistic waybills for it.

One of the other guys has found a location of the company in Thorofare, NJ, near Paulsboro. That
looks like a dry ice plant, not a place that would originate CO2.

Can anyone provide information on where those cars might have carried CO2 from and to ?

SGL

al_brown03

As of the late forties, the most common source of gaseous CO2 was the combustion of coke. (Nowadays, it's mostly recovered from ammonia plants.) Upon compression the gas will liquefy and can be shipped that way, at room temperature but under pressure. If pressure is released, the CO2 becomes gaseous again.

At a dry-ice plant, CO2 gas is allowed to expand. Gases cool upon expansion, in this case enough to solidify the material as "snow". (This isn't efficient, and excess gas is recovered.) In a hydraulic press, the "snow" is converted to blocks. These must be kept cold, and are shipped in the familiar heavily-insulated reefers.

Above info from: R.M. Reed and N.C. Updegraff, in "Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology", 3rd ed., eds. R.E. Kirk and D.F. Othmer; Interscience: New York, 1949; vol. 3, pp 128-142.

So, a CO2 tank car would be used to ship the gas and liquid from someplace coke is burnt, to a dry-ice plant. It would need to withstand high pressure and I'd think it'd be insulated.

To be concluded when I get home and look in Kaminski's tank-car book.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

Dry ice is solid CO2.

To be continued, after I look up manufacturing methods ...

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@> wrote:

At the North Shore Model Railroad Club, we have a Thermice tank car, which, we think, carried carbon
dioxide. We'd like to make some realistic waybills for it.

One of the other guys has found a location of the company in Thorofare, NJ, near Paulsboro. That
looks like a dry ice plant, not a place that would originate CO2.

Can anyone provide information on where those cars might have carried CO2 from and to ?

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

Database version: 6.13030

al_brown03

In Kaminski's book, p 17, is an ACF ad for a 7300-gallon ICC 105A500W tank car, for liquefied CO2 service. It's an insulated "chemical" tank along the general lines of the old Athearn car but two-thirds as big, with a pressure bonnet instead of a dome, and a platform around the bonnet.

I haven't time to search the book exhaustively tonight; there may be other CO2 cars shown.

[...]

Al, thanks very much for digging into this topic so thoroughly. Much appreciated.

SGL

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Schuyler Larrabee"
<schuyler.larrabee@> wrote:

At the North Shore Model Railroad Club, we have a Thermice tank car, which, we think,
carried carbon
dioxide. We'd like to make some realistic waybills for it.

One of the other guys has found a location of the company in Thorofare, NJ, near Paulsboro.
That
looks like a dry ice plant, not a place that would originate CO2.

Can anyone provide information on where those cars might have carried CO2 from and to ?

SGL
La vita e breve, mangiate prima il dolce!

Database version: 6.13030
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

Database version: 6.13040