Topics

Prototype info from model mfgs

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Branchline has joined the ranks of those manufacturers who provide dates built as stenciled on their models. They are providing this information to dealers. I don't know if it is available to consumers because I haven't visited their web site in quite a while.

Here is what they have sent to dealers so far. Whether right or wrong, accurate or inaccurate, prototypical or not, I applaud them for providing the information. I am glad to have it. If Branchline has made mistakes tell them, not me. I'm just a messenger.

Gene Green

BRANCHLINE BLUEPRINT SERIES All are HO scale.

# 1401 40' box car 6' door A&WP, Built 1947, Delivery Scheme
# 1410 40' box car 6' door ERIE Small Diamond, Built 1946, Delivery Scheme
# 1413 40' box car 6' door GM&O 2nd run w/turned wheels, Built 1947, Delivery Scheme
# 1416 40' box car 6' door IC Box Car Red White 2nd run - new wheels, Built 1948, Delivery Scheme
# 1417 40' box car 6' door ITC, Built 1947, Delivery Scheme
# 1419 40' box car 6' door L&N, Built 1947/1952 repaint
# 1421 40' box car 6' door MP, Built 1950, Delivery Scheme
# 1427 40' box car 6' door NYC Green, Built 1949/1959 repaint
# 1438 40' box car 6' door AT&SF, Built 1945, Delivery Scheme, Class BX-44

# 1504 40' box car 8' door DT&I, Built 1950, Delivery Scheme
# 1506 40' box car 8' door IC, Built 1957, Delivery Scheme
# 1507 40' box car 8' door KCS, Built 1956, Delivery Scheme
# 1509 40' box car 8' door MP, Built 1956, Delivery Scheme
# 1512 40' box car 8' door PRR Circle Keystone, Built 1951, Delivery Scheme
# 1513 40' box car 8' door RDG, Built 1948, Delivery Scheme
# 1517 40' box car 8' door MEC Yellow Green lettering, Built 1948/ 1970 repaint
# 1520 40' box car 8'door RDG Green Yellow lettering, Built 1948/1970 repaint
# 1521 40' box car 8' door PRR Shadow Keystone, Built 1951/1956 repaint

# 1601 40' box car 7' door BCK, Built 1956, Delivery Scheme
# 1602 40' box car 7' door D&TS, Built 1948, Delivery Scheme
# 1603 40' box car 7' door ERIE Large Diamond, Built 1952, Delivery Scheme
# 1605 40' box car 7' door GTW, Built 1953, Delivery Scheme
# 1606 40' box car 7' door LV, Built 1950, Delivery Scheme
# 1607 40' box car 7' door NKP, Built 1946, Delivery Scheme
# 1608 40' box car 7' door PRR Circle Keystone, Built 1951, Delivery Scheme
# 1609 40' box car 7' door PRR Shadow Keystone, Built 1951/1957 repaint
# 1610 40' box car 7' door TP&W, Built 1951, Delivery Scheme
# 1611 40' box car 7' door WM Speed Lettering, Built 1951 Delivery Scheme
# 1612 40' box car 7' door WP, Built 1947-1952 repaint

BRANCHLINE YARDMASTER SERIES BOXCARS – SPECIAL EDITION All are HO scale.

# 9007 HO 40' box car GM&O GULF MOBILE & OHIO, Built 1942 /1960's Repaint
# 9015 HO 40' box car SP SOUTHERN PACIFIC, Built 1941 /1960's Repaint
# 9016 HO 40' box car MONON, Built 1942 / 1960's Repaint

Brian Carlson <brian@...>

Gene; They have put that information on their boxes for many years, maybe
from the beginning of the Blueprint series.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

SUVCWORR@...

This information have always been on the Branchline Blueprint series labels.

Rich Orr

[...]

# 9007 HO 40' box car GM&O GULF MOBILE &=2
0OHIO, Built 1942 /1960's Repaint
# 9015 HO 40' box car SP SOUTHERN PACIFIC, Built 1941 /1960's Repaint
# 9016 HO 40' box car MONON, Built 1942 / 1960's Repaint

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Brian and Rich,
Yes, I know the information is (and has been) on the box label. I don't think I worded my message as well as I might have.

In order to get the information from the box label one must be able to hold it in one's hand. That means, for the most part, that one must either be in a hobby shop that has the model of interest or, as in my case, have to buy the model through the mail or internet, wait until it arrives and then see if it is what one wants.

Having the information in advance is a benefit for those who, like me, are far, far away from a decent hobby shop.

Gene Green

SUVCWORR@...

Gene,

I answer these questions from customers all the time.? So you should be able to ask your dealer before buying.

Rich Orr

Yes, I know the information is (and has been) on the box label. I don't think I
worded my message as well as I might have.

In order to get the information from the box label one must be able to hold it
in one's hand. That means, for the most part, that one must either be in a
hobby shop that has the model of interest or, as in my case, have to buy the
model through the mail or internet, wait until it arrives and then see if it is
what one wants.

Having the information in advance is a benefit for those who, like me, are far,
far away from a decent hobby shop.

Gene Green

Rich, you're joking, right? Surely you jest. You may be the
ONLY dealer who can answer those questions.

Tim O'Connor

Gene,

I answer these questions from customers all the time.? So you should be able to ask your dealer before buying.

Rich Orr

Yes, I know the information is (and has been) on the box label. I don't think I
worded my message as well as I might have.

In order to get the information from the box label one must be able to hold it
in one's hand. That means, for the most part, that one must either be in a
hobby shop that has the model of interest or, as in my case, have to buy the
model through the mail or internet, wait until it arrives and then see if it is
what one wants.

Having the information in advance is a benefit for those who, like me, are far,
far away from a decent hobby shop.

Gene Green

SUVCWORR@...

Tim,

Can and will are two different animals.? The information is on the Branchline boxes so I see no reason why any Branchline dealer should not be able to answer these questions.? Also, if asked I do open other manufacturers' boxes and provide the build and re-weigh dates if readable.? Now if I don't have the particular item in stock then I can't answer the question.

Also, to give credit where due, Atlas does list the paint dates of some but not all of their freight cars on their website but not on the box labels.

Rich Orr

Yes, I know the information is (and has been) on the box label. I don't think
worded my message as well as I might have.

In order to get the information from the box label one must be able to hold it
in one's hand. That means, for the most part, that one must either be in a
hobby shop that has the model of interest or, as in my case, have to buy the
model through the mail or internet, wait until it arrives and then see if it is
what one wants.

Having the information in advance is a benefit for those who, like me, are far,
far away from a decent hobby shop.

Gene Green

Bruce Smith

On Aug 24, 2009, at 12:14 AM, SUVCWORR@... wrote:

Gene,

I answer these questions from customers all the time.? So you should be able to ask your dealer before buying.

Rich Orr
Dealer? What dealer? I live more than 100 miles from the nearest hobby shop that knows anything about or carries Branchline. Yes, my local USA Hobbies will order them for me (at full price plus the 8% local sales tax) but he doesn't give refunds based on paint schemes or reweigh dates not being appropriate for my era. As I have noted before, if Al Westerfield can provide an accurate timeline for each car in an on-line web format, I'm baffled as to why others find it apparently so difficult.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Rich,
How do you answer the question if you don't have the car in stock? The nearest decent hobby shop doesn't carry very much Branchline stock so am I to be restricted to choosing only among the items he stocks?

Bruce,
100 miles?!?! That's local. Try 275 miles to the dealer mentioned in the above paragraph.

Bruce, I agree with you. If Al can do it, they all can. There's no point in keeping that information secret. I suppose for many, perhaps most, modelers the information is important. Maybe they don't even know what it means but for a few of us, it matters.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Aug 24, 2009, at 12:14 AM, SUVCWORR@... wrote:

Gene,

I answer these questions from customers all the time.? So you
should be able to ask your dealer before buying.

Rich Orr
Dealer? What dealer? I live more than 100 miles from the nearest
hobby shop that knows anything about or carries Branchline. Yes, my
local USA Hobbies will order them for me (at full price plus the 8%
local sales tax) but he doesn't give refunds based on paint schemes
or reweigh dates not being appropriate for my era. As I have noted
before, if Al Westerfield can provide an accurate timeline for each
car in an on-line web format, I'm baffled as to why others find it
apparently so difficult.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Oops! I meant to say, "I suppose for many, perhaps most, modelers the information is UNimportant."

Obviously I need another cup of coffee.

Gene Green

SUVCWORR@...

If I don't have the car, I
can't answer the question easily.? That does not mean I cannot get the
information or don't have it from previously stocking the car.

As to why the information is not readily available from most
manufacturers, in my opinion it is the fear of lost sales and that those who blindly
buy cars etc will become educated to the correct P/L and car details
for the era they model..? As Bruce stated his LHS will order but won't
take back a car that is out of era for him.? The sale is the sale and
final.? I prefer to not alienate a customer by such action which may be
why I am a very small dealer and have found that providing such
information more often than not results in a sale that I otherwise
would not have made.? If the dates matter, the sale is not going to be
made if there is doubt about the era of the car.? Even with that
mistakes do occur regarding exactly when a paint scheme changed etc.

This seems to be wandering away from the purpose of this list so I will stop here rather than risk jail.

Rich

How do you answer the question if you don't have the car in stock? The nearest
decent hobby shop doesn't carry very much Branchline stock so am I to be
restricted to choosing only among the items he stocks?

Bruce,
100 miles?!?! That's local. Try 275 miles to the dealer mentioned in the above
paragraph.

Bruce, I agree with you. If Al can do it, they all can. There's no point in
keeping that information secret. I suppose for many, perhaps most, modelers the
information is important. Maybe they don't even know what it means but for a
few of us, it matters.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Aug 24, 2009, at 12:14 AM, SUVCWORR@... wrote:

Gene,

I answer these questions from customers all the time.? So you
should be able to ask your dealer before buying.

Rich Orr
Dealer? What dealer? I live more than 100 miles from the nearest
hobby shop that knows anything about or carries Branchline. Yes, my
local USA Hobbies will order them for me (at full price plus the 8%
local sales tax) but he doesn't give refunds based on paint schemes
or reweigh dates not being appropriate for my era. As I have noted
before, if Al Westerfield can provide an accurate timeline for each
car in an on-line web format, I'm baffled as to why others find it
apparently so difficult.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Mark

I have found interest in this topic. One of our LHS stocks Branchline. I have bought at least a dozen and built half. He has not restocked these but there is still a fifty footer selection and a few reefers.
He knocks off a little and always asks how they are to build.

Mark Morgan

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, Bruce Smith <smithbf@... > wrote:

[...]
http://www.vetmed. auburn.edu/ index.pl/ bruce_f._ smith2
__
/ &#92;
__<+--+>____ _________ ___&#92;__/__ _ ____________ _________ _________ __
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__ ||__||__| |__||__|| __||
|/__________ _________ _________ _&#92;|_|____ _________ _________ _________ _|
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Charlie Vlk

No, the manufactuers do not have all the information that some modelers would like to have (for example, the first instance of a paint scheme being applied and the last car in service to carry the paint scheme).

Often times a manufacturer is working off of one photo of a car. Some artwork is prepared by people that have an interest in and some knowledge of the prototype and Model Railroading, but many are done by commecial artists that create an artwork to the best of their skill and ability who have little personal interest in the subject beyond the job.

Some art is dead accurate for the car depicted.... I make a practice of doing correct lettering for all data that I can see in photos... but some cars come through with fairly generic lettering when it gets down to the small data. The data for in-service cars and even cars when new will vary between cars (new date, repack / repaint dates and locations) but often it is not possible or practical to have dead accurate details down to the last nth for multiple roadnumbers of the same paint scheme... only the car numbers will be changed.

If someone is interested in limiting their purchases to cars that have reweigh and other data suitable for a narrow time frame, they can certainly do some modeling and restencil the cars. Maybe it should have been called Modeling Railroads instead of Model Railroading!

I would imagine that between the various on-line vendors, eBay, and other online sources one can probably come up with images of most items that have been produced. Given today's small batch production that allows for the great variety of continous new products I don't see any advantage for a manufacturer to try to maintain a encycopedia of all past products.... they are primarily interested in moving their new product into the distribution pipeline.... the wholesalers and retailers get a discount off of MSRP to move the product off of their shelves.

Where does the notion that manufacturers should provide research on their products end? Should it be required to provide a useage history of each car so that a person doesn't purchase a car that did not ever show up on the rails of the road that they model? Most manufacturers do show a reasonably sharp image (either online or in their advertisements) of the product when it is announced. I don't see any reason a manufacturer would include or post a two page brochure of fine print disclaimers similar to drugs about each car or locomotive they make....giving all sorts of reasons why a product should not be purchased by a very small segment of the market.

The internet can be used to do one's own research.... it isn't just for posting requests or the desire for it to be done by others!!! If one is going to limit their scope to a particular time range it is incumbant on that individual to do the research to figure out what that entails, not the manufacturers!

Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources

Donald B. Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@... wrote:

In part:

Also, to give credit where due, Atlas does list the paint dates of some but not all of their freight cars on their website but not on the box labels.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but it strikes me that Atlas has been doing this on their website for some years now but simply have not gone back and provided the info for those cars offered prior to their doing so. This first became apparent to me with their 11,000 gal. LPG cars. The first run was made prior to their providing such information on their website but it is available for every run produced since. Is this not correct?

Take care, Don Valentine

SUVCWORR@...

Dan,

It is hit or miss.? Take a look at the latest offerings.? Cars where the orders were due July 24th have no info.? The current new model -- rebuilt USRA has some but not all dates.? Specifically build dates or re-build dates are missing for re-paints of the re-builds.? While it is true they have been more forthcoming with tank car info it is still missing for the most recent tank offerings.

Rich Orr

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Charlie Vlk wrote:

Where does the notion that manufacturers should provide research on their products end? Should it be required to provide a useage history of each car so that a person doesn't purchase a car that did not ever show up on the rails of the road that they model?
Back in the early days of Branchline's passenger car project, when I was beginning to realize just how detailed Pullman's records were, I suggested, tongue in cheek, that Branchline offer limited edition "RPA Line" kits, maybe 100 of each car name. I would provide information in each kit showing the shopping dates over the entire life of the car, so that those modelers who obsess over such things could move those cars off the layout if they would have been in the shops at the time of an operating session.

Just a random idea that sounded good after a few beers. But I bet they would have sold like hotcakes.....

Tom Madden

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Rich Orr wrote:
"The current new model -- rebuilt USRA has some but not all dates."

...which is completely irrelevant since the model(s) are bogus hermaphrodites.

Ben Hom

SUVCWORR@...

And I was not commenting on the accuracy of the model.? I was using that as a current example of Atlas' hit or miss effort to provide build, re-weigh and paint dates.? Nothing more.

We all know the example used is not an accurate model of anything.

Rich Orr

"The current new model -- rebuilt USRA has some but not all dates."

...which is completely irrelevant since the model(s) are bogus hermaphrodites.

Ben Hom

Marty McGuirk

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@... wrote:

And I was not commenting on the accuracy of the model.? I was using that as a current example of Atlas' hit or miss effort to provide build, re-weigh and paint dates.? Nothing more.

We all know the example used is not an accurate model of anything.

Rich Orr

It's hard to provide specific dates on a "generic" model like the Atlas car . . . although I suppose they could simply "wing it."

I'm not entirely sure what the term "paint" or "repaint" date refers to. Are you defining it as the time a particular scheme was introduced?

Marty McGuirk

Bruce Smith

On Aug 25, 2009, at 7:28 AM, cvsne wrote:
It's hard to provide specific dates on a "generic" model like the Atlas car . . . although I suppose they could simply "wing it."

I'm not entirely sure what the term "paint" or "repaint" date refers to. Are you defining it as the time a particular scheme was introduced?

Marty McGuirk
Marty,

Ideally, the manufacturer's web site for RTR cars would include the following:
Built date
Paint scheme date
New/Reweigh date

We all know that paint schemes lasted well beyond the introduction of new schemes, but obviously if you model 1944 and the scheme was introduced in 1945, it's a no go. The NEW/reweigh is the least important as that is easily changed, and many of us do that... but it is still nice to know.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL