Blue Coal Hoppers

wulantowag <SUVCWORR@...>

Check the archives and did not find the answer to these questions. What is the time period when the "blue coal" P/L was applied to hoppers by the Antracite roads? To which roads and cars was it applied?

TIA

Rich Orr

Malcolm H. Houck

What is the time period when the "blue coal" P/L was
applied to hoppers by the Anthracite roads? To which
roads and cars was it applied?

"Blue Coal" was a marketing tool used by the Glen
Alden Coal Co. of Huber, Pennsylvania. Glen Alden
was owned by the DL&W and so, if at all used on cars,
the "Blue Coal" advertising would be limited to cars
of the Lackawanna.

Some years ago Mantua made a run of triple hoppers
that were painted blue and were lettered with the "Blue
Coal" registered trademark logo and immense billboard
lettering of "Blue Coal." Aside from a misuse of a triple
hopper, the reporting marks were "RDG" and not for
DL&W. . . .

Never having seen a "Blue Coal" lettered hopper or photo
image, and suspecting further that, if used at all, it was
on but a very, very few cars and then I neither can offer
any answer to when such lettering was used.

Mal Houck

SUVCWORR@...

Thanks Mal.

So I assume the current crop of Blue Coal cars from Bowser on the Stewart triple offset hopper in RDG, D&LW and D&H lettering are bogus.

Rich Orr

[...]

I'd surely say so! After having checked the
Bowser site I have to say that what they offer
aren't even as appealing(?) [with all lower case
billboard lettering] as the old Mantua offering!

Mal Houck

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@..., SUVCWORR@... wrote:

So I assume the current crop of Blue Coal cars from Bowser on the Stewart triple offset hopper in RDG, D&LW and D&H lettering are bogus.
I can't ever remember hearing of or seeing a D&H offset triple, much less a prototype photo of anything that looked like this. Have you tried emailing Bowser about the cars?

Walt Lankenau

SUVCWORR@...

Yes, no information has been forthcoming regarding the prototype for these cars from Bowser.

Rich Orr

So I assume the current crop of Blue Coal cars from Bowser on the Stewart
triple offset hopper in RDG, D&LW and D&H lettering are bogus.

I can't ever remember hearing of or seeing a D&H offset triple, much less a
prototype photo of anything that looked like this. Have you tried emailing
Bowser about the cars?

Walt Lankenau

Brian Carlson <brian@...>

In my 1955 ORER none of those roads had any cars, let along hoppers, with
the three numbers on the Bowser site. If someone has a October 1948 or any
1949 we could determine for sure. I think they are foobies. Bowser link
below.
http://bowser-trains.com/New_Products/New%2008-18-09%20Frt%20Car%20Kits/New%
2008_18_09%20Frt%20Car%20Kits.htm
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.