From: Doug Polinder
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 7:43 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: CP slabside hoppers

Tom Molsen,

Thank you for those links. How about a product review? I built the Sylvan slabside a few years ago and it went together fairly nicely, except that I screwed up the horizontal plate of the B end and had to cut a new plate out of 0.010 styrene. Did you retrofit your slabside with the TMW trucks or keep the True-Line ones? Looks like all of their CP stock is sold out, although Pacific Western in Surrey BC shows quite an extensive list in stock.

Bob Lucas,

I posed some questions about the slabside to the Pacific Northwest RPM group a while back; there are some very knowledgeable people in that group who might be able to help you and point you to a photograph of 380000.

Doug Polinder

Grand Rapids MI

Armand Premo

A happy owner of several TLT cars.Just superb.Better than most US models.....bar none.You won't be disappointed .Armand Premo

[...]

tmolsen@...

Doug and Steve,

I recently bought one of the 6-Hatch CP Slab Side Covered Hoppers from Canadian Model Trains in Missaugua Canada which was put out by True-Line Trains. Car matches the pictures in Volume 7 of the Canadian Rail Car Pictorial which covers the CP Covered Hoppers.

The product number that I bought was TLT-300333. Since this part number covered the number series that I wanted, the car that I received was #380259.

The cars are sold at True-Line Trains, but may still be available through CMT. An email to them should give you some notion as to whether any are still in stock at CMT,

I have added the links for the product listing and the large photo of the car.

http://www.modeltrains.com/WEB%20-%20CMT/True%20Line%20Trains/HO/true-line-trains-canadian-pacific.htm

http://www.modeltrains.com/PICTURES/PICTURES%20-%20Non-brass-1/True%20Line%20Trains/TLT-000001-399999/TLT-CP-6H-block-2-crop%20copy.jpg

Hope that this is of some value.

Best regards,

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Doug Polinder

Bob Lucas asked: "Anyone know what trucks were found on CPR's smooth side covered hoppers
(CP 380000-380200)?  These were the original series with 10-hatches
built by National Steel Car in 1948.  Also, any image sources showing
the delivered paint scheme for these interesting prototype cars is
appreciated."

Bob, the August 1986 _RMC_ had an article on the prototype CP and CN slabsides.  There is an image of the 380000, but it is small and the trucks are somewhat dark.  Purportedly the September 1986 issue had an article on modeling these cars, but I do not have the issue and cannot confirm if there are any useful photos in it.  In David Hickcox' _Great Northern in Color Volume I: Lines West_, p. 37, there is a partial image in color of what appears to be CP 380294 (unfortunately not the series you are asking about), in CP's basic black with small gothic lettering dating from about 1960.  The author of the _RMC_ article does not address the source of the trucks, only the builders of the cars (some in the railroads' own shops, some NSC, some CCF).

Doug Polinder

Grand Rapids MI