Early CNW Airslides & Athearn model

Bill Welch

One of the Airslide schemes I would like to do is the initial group the CNW received, which used a very unique CNW on the sides that was rather tall and narrow, what I would call rather stylized and perhaps unique to their early Airslides. Does anyone know, probably a CNW modeler, if this lettering has ever been done in decals or dry transfers?

Regarding the actual Athearn model, I received four undecorateds yesterday. This is a beautiful model! Many small separate detail parts and the body is shipped w/little reinforcing braces attached to the delicate vertical posts on each end that are designed to protect them until the model is built and then to be cut out. The dogs or screw downs on the hatch covers look a little large to me but I have not compared them to photos yet to see if the proportions are actually right or not. The one I opened had two sets of trucks, which meant extra wire parts since they are packaged together. The trucks are the same pseudo Ride Control truck Athearn has used for years.

When my normal source for kits let me know Horizon Hobbies was already sold out, I was able to get four from "Mainline Hobbies" in Blue Ridge Summit, PA and to make sure I backed this order up with a duplicate amount form Caboose Hobbies. I say this in case any of you may be looking for possible sources of these undecs. My extras are already promised.

Bill Welch

Carl J. Marsico <Carlmarsico@...>

I recall Oddballs had one or more sets for CNW Airslides, but don't recall the specific scheme(s) offered.

CJM

thomas christensen

--- On Wed, 9/2/09, Bill Welch <fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

One of the Airslide schemes I would like to do is the initial group
the CNW received, which used a very unique CNW on the sides that was
rather tall and narrow, what I would call rather stylized and perhaps
unique to their early Airslides. Does anyone know, probably a CNW
modeler, if this lettering has ever been done in decals or dry
transfers?

Check the April 1987 Mainline Modeler, there is an article by
Lloyd Keyser.
Tom Christensen

__._ |
Change settings via the WebYahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch d

Recent Activity

 3
New MembersVisit Your Group

Give Back
Yahoo! for Good
Get inspired
by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar
Get it Free!
easy 1-click access
to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups
Start a group
in 3 easy steps.
Connect with others.
..

I wonder if this new Microscale box car set has the correct
size letters for the C&NW airslide? Anyone have a photo of the
C&NW prototype car to compare?

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/871306.jpg

Tim O'Connor

I recall Oddballs had one or more sets for CNW Airslides, but
don't recall the specific scheme(s) offered. CJM

Bill Welch

These are close but no cigar I don't think. On the Airslides the black areas of the CNW were thinner. It is hard to gauge how high these letters are.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Bill

I measured the decal image on my screen (Microscale decal sets
are exactly 8.0" tall) and I came up with a scale 52" size for
the tall C&NW. But I agree with you I think the airslides had
somewhat thinner letters or they were just taller giving them
a thinner appearance (higher ratio of height to width)..

Tim