City of Vancouver image archive

Eric Hansmann

I there are more than 70 box car images here. I was just trolling among the Railroad section and there are nearly 300 box car images. Some were taken after the endpoint of our discussion list, but many were taken in the 1940s and 1950s. Here's a short list of what I've seen.

Columbus & Greenville 3249 - A single-sheathed car with Dreadnaught ends and a radial roof.
Duluth South Shore and Atlantic 15096 - A post-war, steel-sheathed car with carbuilders ends (I think).
Illinois Central 44180 - A 50-foot, steel-sheathed, double-door car.
Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac 2538 - A USRA single-sheathed car.
Lancaster and Chesterfield 915 - A 1932 ARA steel-sheathed car (?).
Great Northern 18007 - A post-war, steel-sheathed car.
Pere Marquette 71340 - A 50-foot, steel-sheathed, double-door car.
Illinois Northern 1412 - A very funky-looking, single sheathed, door and a half car. Not certain if this is 40 or 50 foot.
St. Louis and San Fransisco 128489 - A steel rebuilt, USRA double-sheathed car.
Akron, Canton and Youngstown 3645 - A 50-foot, steel-sheathed, single-door car.
Wellsville Addison and Galeton 6075 - 1923 ARA XM-1, single-sheathed car.
Georgia Railway 39436 - A steel rebuild of a 1923 ARA XM-1, single-sheathed car.
Duluth Missabe and Iron Range 3243 - Double-sheathed car with steel fishbelly centersill. This one looks like a pre-WWI car.
Reading 18804 - Steel rebuild with double-doors.
Manufacturers Railway 7536 - Mather single-sheathed car.
Maine Central 5654 - 1923 ARA XM-2 steel car.
Chicago & Illinois Midland 8396 - Mather single-sheathed car.
Des Moines & Central Iowa 2168 - A single-sheathed, 50-foot, double door car. Sheathing may be steel.
Clinchfield #8291 - A USRA single-sheathed car with CC&O reporting marks.
Mystic Terminal 70110 - A USRA double-sheathed car, with AB brake system.

The search page is here:
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/archives/webpubhtml/qbes/ws_photocombined.htm

Enter railroad into the keyword and hit the search button to troll through over 2500 images. Using the subject search box and entering Railroads - Cars or Railroads - Freight will net more images.

Most of the box car images I viewed are credited to Walter Edwin Frost. Is anyone here familiar with this photographer?

The copyright status is noted as public domain for many of the Frost images.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Starting over in a new house:
http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/

Robert kirkham

A couple of comments:

While many have not seen this collection before, it has been the subject of e-mail discussion in the past. I'm glad that it has been re-introduced for those who hadn't seen it.

Having looked through the collection of prints and negatives in the archives, I infer that Mr. Frost worked locally around the Vancouver area for a few decades starting in the mid 1930's.

While his earlier photos may technically be public domain, you won't get decent quality prints from the web page and so you'll be stuck paying the City of Vancouver's fees for use. They start around $20.00 for a 8x 10 glossy print (or a CD image) and go up if you want to publish. Further, I believe his gift of them to the City was on pretty strict terms about giving proper credit and other limitations on the use of the photos. All something to discuss with an archivist if your need is to do more than just get a copy.

Rob Kirkham
Surrey,
B.C.

[...]

rwitt_2000

Eric Hansmann wrote:

[...]

There is also a photo with a date of Feb. 1, 1956 of a New York Central
Boxcar #17496 painted and lettered for "Pacemaker Freight Service" with
high speed trucks obviously in interchange service, but still without
dimensional lettering.

Bob Witt

P.S. Use the car number in the subject search to find it quickly.

Ian Cranstone

On 2-Sep-09, at 11:31 AM, Rob Kirkham wrote:

Having looked through the collection of prints and negatives in the
archives, I infer that Mr. Frost worked locally around the Vancouver area
for a few decades starting in the mid 1930's.
There's a page on the site which notes that he was born c. 1884 and died in 1976, and seemingly kept photographing into the 1970s.
While his earlier photos may technically be public domain, you won't get
decent quality prints from the web page and so you'll be stuck paying the
City of Vancouver's fees for use. They start around $20.00 for a 8x 10
glossy print (or a CD image) and go up if you want to publish. Further, I
believe his gift of them to the City was on pretty strict terms about giving
proper credit and other limitations on the use of the photos. All something
to discuss with an archivist if your need is to do more than just get a
copy.

I went ahead and ordered a number of photographs from the Frost collection (the copyright holder is noted as the City of Vancouver), and checked the "Other" box instead of the "Fair Use" box on the website order form. I opted to receive digital scans (8x10's are the same price at $17 each -- and one supposes are probably printed from the same scans), and there is a small shipping charge levied as well. I received this reply later the same day:
===========

"We have received your online order, thank you, and processed payment against the credit card.
We anticipate your order will be in the mail by the end of the week, so you may wish to watch your mailbox thereafter.

"Most of the images ordered are under copyright. It is the responsibility of the User to determine copyright status and ensure copyright compliance.

"Please note, there is a photographer's restriction on the images. The photographer's name, Walter E. Frost, is to be credited with the image. All other crediting requirements still apply.

"If the image is being used in a publication, kindly forward the complimentary copy to the City of Vancouver Archives.
Thank you for your order and for using the services of the City of Vancouver Archives."

I wasn't queried as to my plans for "Other" (which at the moment are mostly research, but may well include publication in the pages of CN LINES), nor are the terms onorous -- the C. Robert Craig Memorial Library here in Ottawa has essentially the same terms, although probably charges a little less for services due to the all-volunteer nature of the operation (and the free support provided by the City of Ottawa Archives).

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@nakina.net
http://freightcars.nakina.net