Corrected Ends for Central Valley NP stock car

Bill Welch

I notice that the NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car to properly narrow the car, but they offer them packaged to do four cars. As I only want to do one car, I am wondering if there is anyone on this list that has one pair they want to sell? Alternatively, are there 1-3 people who want to split up a packet?

Bill Welch
fgexbill@...

Steve SANDIFER

I would like to do 2 cars. Do you have to be a member to order them?

J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...
Home: 12027 Mulholland Dr., Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX
77025, 713-667-9417
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/stevesandifer2000/index
Church: http://www.swcentral.org

I notice that the NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car to
properly narrow the car, but they offer them packaged to do four
cars. As I only want to do one car, I am wondering if there is anyone
on this list that has one pair they want to sell? Alternatively, are
there 1-3 people who want to split up a packet?

Bill Welch
fgexbill@...

Matt Herson

Bill,

Don't forget the minimum order from the NPRHA Company Store is $20.

Matt Herson

I notice that the NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car to
properly narrow the car, but they offer them packaged to do four
cars. As I only want to do one car, I am wondering if there is anyone
on this list that has one pair they want to sell? Alternatively, are
there 1-3 people who want to split up a packet?

Bill Welch
fgexbill@... <mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com>

Bill Welch

I admit I had not noticed this detail. I may have to forget that the car is too wide and build it w/o using these parts.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "Matt Herson" <mherson@...> wrote:

Bill,

Don't forget the minimum order from the NPRHA Company Store is $20.

Matt Herson

I notice that the NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car to
properly narrow the car, but they offer them packaged to do four
cars. As I only want to do one car, I am wondering if there is anyone
on this list that has one pair they want to sell? Alternatively, are
there 1-3 people who want to split up a packet?

Bill Welch
fgexbill@... <mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com>

Steve SANDIFER

I think you can cut a foot out of the current ends (and roof, and floor) to achieve this. Just build the car complete, then run it through a band saw. (Just kidding, of course).

I was real proud of the car I built until I went over to Mike Spoors layout and saw that it was 1' too wide and painted it the wrong color (should be Tuscan). Only rivet counters (including I) know the difference.

I do want to build two of them correctly.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Steve Sandifer wrote:
I was real proud of the car I built until I went over to Mike Spoors layout and saw that it was 1' too wide and painted it the wrong color (should be Tuscan). Only rivet counters (including I) know the difference.
I recommend the "passing train" standard of accuracy, made famous by our own Mr. Brock, for this problem. As long as you never switch the car but keep it in moving trains, it's undetectable.
(If, conceivably, I've misrepresented Mr. Brock's theory, I suspect we will all hear about it shortly.)

Publishers of books on railroad history

Greg Martin

Bill,

What are the cost of the ends? With the $20.00 minium in mind I have plans to do at least two cars on my own (they seemed to show up regularly in PRR traffic). ?I had discuss this just?before the meet we just had in Salem, OR and I had made my "Marching Orders" of "no selling" at the meet too broad (it was not intended to eliminate Hisitorical Society sales or some small "invited sales") and I will?not make that mistake next year. So, the NPRHA didn't bring them, my bad... So let me know off line what we can do collectively with whomever is interested. What trucks do we need as well? Might as well get that covered at the same time.

Thanks,

Greg Martin

I notice that the NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car to
properly narrow the car, but they offer them packaged to do four
cars. As I only want to do one car, I am wondering if there is anyone
on this list that has one pair they want to sell? Alternatively, are
there 1-3 people who want to split up a packet?

Bill Welch
fgexbill@... <mailto:fgexbill%40tampabay.rr.com>

WILLIAM PARDIE

Bill:

Will be happy to take a set of ends. You can contact me off list at pardiew001@...
.

Bill Pardie

On Sep 8, 2009, at 12:19 AM, Bill Welch wrote:

I notice that the NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car to
properly narrow the car, but they offer them packaged to do four
cars. As I only want to do one car, I am wondering if there is anyone
on this list that has one pair they want to sell? Alternatively, are
there 1-3 people who want to split up a packet?

Bill Welch
fgexbill@...

leakinmywaders

Steve: Actually the "new" color of the NP stock cars was the NP's standard mineral red, which is a shade of boxcar red that runs heavily to rusty red-orange. On some cars this color shifted toward Tuscan with age, but actually far less so on wood than metal cars (yes the NP's 50s-built steel-sided Pig Palace stock cars were darkening toward Tuscan by the time they slipped off the purview of this list...). The wood stock cars like the CV model didn't get frequent repaints, so they tended to go from mineral red to slightly-redder peeling mineral red with gray bleached wood and oxidized gray metal roof.

Chris Frissell
Rivetenumerator, MT

--- In STMFC@..., "Steve Sandifer" <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:
I was real proud of the car I built until I went over to Mike Spoors layout and saw that it was 1' too wide and painted it the wrong color (should be Tuscan).

Steve SANDIFER

Is there a good paint choice for the "correct" color?
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...

Steve: Actually the "new" color of the NP stock cars was the NP's standard mineral red, which is a shade of boxcar red that runs heavily to rusty red-orange. On some cars this color shifted toward Tuscan with age, but actually far less so on wood than metal cars (yes the NP's 50s-built steel-sided Pig Palace stock cars were darkening toward Tuscan by the time they slipped off the purview of this list...). The wood stock cars like the CV model didn't get frequent repaints, so they tended to go from mineral red to slightly-redder peeling mineral red with gray bleached wood and oxidized gray metal roof.

Chris Frissell
Rivetenumerator, MT

--- In STMFC@..., "Steve Sandifer" <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:
> I was real proud of the car I built until I went over to Mike Spoors layout and saw that it was 1' too wide and painted it the wrong color (should be Tuscan).

Clark Cooper

Not having access to the cited article, a dumb question: what has to be done to the floor, underframe, and roof in order to use these ends?

-Clark Cooper

On Sep 8, 2009, at 5:19 AM, Bill Welch wrote:

I notice that the NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car to
properly narrow the car, but they offer them packaged to do four
cars. As I only want to do one car, I am wondering if there is anyone
on this list that has one pair they want to sell? Alternatively, are
there 1-3 people who want to split up a packet?

Bill Welch
fgexbill@...

Tim O'Connor

Bill

A formula that looks pretty good on the stock cars IMO:

1 part Floquil #74 box car red
1 part Floquil #88 DH10 caboose red

The above was recommended in Mainline Modeler 8/1990. I'd say
it resembles aged paint, not fresh paint.

Tim O'Connor

At 9/8/2009 07:47 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
Not having access to the cited article, a dumb question: what has to
be done to the floor, underframe, and roof in order to use these ends?

-Clark Cooper

On Sep 8, 2009, at 5:19 AM, Bill Welch wrote:

I notice that the NPHS offers corrected ends for the CV stock car to
properly narrow the car, but they offer them packaged to do four
cars. As I only want to do one car, I am wondering if there is anyone
on this list that has one pair they want to sell? Alternatively, are
there 1-3 people who want to split up a packet?

Bill Welch
fgexbill@...

leakinmywaders

Tim's formula looks really good. Or if you prefer an acrylic paint, try Modelflex Light Tuscan Oxide Red 3:1 with Modelflex Rust, then mix in a couple drops of white until you can just see it start to lighten. This gets you a color that's close the fresh NP mineral red. For a well-aged stock car, add maybe 20 percent maroon tuscan oxide red and then a drop or two more white. Airbrush unthinned at 12-15 ppi to keep it satin smooth.

BTW, builders photos first supplied to me by Matt Herson show that the interior of these cars was unpainted wood. There were small interior stencils over the doors with the car number and some other information. Now there's some rarely trodden ground in freight car modeling.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

Bill

A formula that looks pretty good on the stock cars IMO:

1 part Floquil #74 box car red
1 part Floquil #88 DH10 caboose red

The above was recommended in Mainline Modeler 8/1990. I'd say
it resembles aged paint, not fresh paint.

Tim O'Connor

leakinmywaders

Clark: Briefly, you split the roof down the middle and cut out the midsection and rejoin the rest--the splice is hidden by the running board. You trim the ends of the crossbears, crossties and bolsters to narrow the frame and floor.

Ed Ursem published a clear, nicely illustrated walk-through article on the conversion in NPRHA's magazine Mainstreeter, Vol. 25 No.1, like the ends it's available at the Company Store link at nprha.org.

Chris Frissell

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT