Hopper Car with box car roof


atsfsd26 <davenorth@...>
 

Sorry everyone,
I forgot to change the subject line in my previous post. By coincidence, I'm looking for some of the roofs for ATSF hopper cars that Bob was asking about
cheers
Dave


Hi,
I'm looking for 2 or 3 sets of Sunshine kit M1 MINI. These were 2 ATSF
covered hopper roofs & parts for conversion of Stewart 3-bay hoppers to ATSF grain cars.

The Sunshine catalog says these were/are only available at meets, and as I live in Australia, sadly I don't see myself attending one of those anytime soon.

If you have any that are surplus to needs please email me at
davenorth at optusnet dot com dot au and let me knowwhat you want or them.
Cheers
Dave North


Rich C
 

Dave,
 
Those mini kits are listed in their July 15th, 2009 numeric list, which means they are available directly. They are $30 for 2 roofs. Overseas shipping is $39!!
 
Rich C

--- On Thu, 9/10/09, atsfsd26 <davenorth@optusnet.com.au> wrote:


From: atsfsd26 <davenorth@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: [STMFC] Hopper Car with box car roof
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 3:30 PM


 



Sorry everyone,
I forgot to change the subject line in my previous post. By coincidence, I'm looking for some of the roofs for ATSF hopper cars that Bob was asking about
cheers
Dave

Hi,
I'm looking for 2 or 3 sets of Sunshine kit M1 MINI. These were 2 ATSF
covered hopper roofs & parts for conversion of Stewart 3-bay hoppers to ATSF grain cars.

The Sunshine catalog says these were/are only available at meets, and as I live in Australia, sadly I don't see myself attending one of those anytime soon.

If you have any that are surplus to needs please email me at
davenorth at optusnet dot com dot au and let me knowwhat you want or them.
Cheers
Dave North



















[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


stevelucas3 <stevelucas3@...>
 

Dave--

With what the costs and time required might be to ship the parts that you need to Australia, and then the time and effort to modify them to suit the hopper car, have you considered cobbling the roof up out of sheet and strip styrene? If it's only one car that you need this roof for, it shouldn't be too hard a fabrication job.

I found it easy to make a flat panel roof for an IMWX car this way while at a train show, so it'd be a little more work to make a Hutchins radial roof. The key seems to be to make some fixture to hold the curve in the roof while adding the ribs and intermediate stiffeners. Or heat-form some heavy sheet styrene for the base of the roof in the oven on low heat, while your significant other is out of the house? :)

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Rich C <rhcdmc@...> wrote:

Dave,
 
Those mini kits are listed in their July 15th, 2009 numeric list, which means they are available directly. They are $30 for 2 roofs. Overseas shipping is $39!!
 
Rich C

--- On Thu, 9/10/09, atsfsd26 <davenorth@...> wrote:


From: atsfsd26 <davenorth@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Hopper Car with box car roof
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 3:30 PM


 



Sorry everyone,
I forgot to change the subject line in my previous post. By coincidence, I'm looking for some of the roofs for ATSF hopper cars that Bob was asking about
cheers
Dave

Hi,
I'm looking for 2 or 3 sets of Sunshine kit M1 MINI. These were 2 ATSF
covered hopper roofs & parts for conversion of Stewart 3-bay hoppers to ATSF grain cars.

The Sunshine catalog says these were/are only available at meets, and as I live in Australia, sadly I don't see myself attending one of those anytime soon.

If you have any that are surplus to needs please email me at
davenorth at optusnet dot com dot au and let me knowwhat you want or them.
Cheers
Dave North



















[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>
 

This is one of the few Sunshine mini-kits included in the price list. It's
kit # M.1, 2 radial roofs, hatches, and a few other bits, plus decals for
$30. See the last page of the new prices list. It's used with the Bowser
triple hopper.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com



Hi,
I'm looking for 2 or 3 sets of Sunshine kit M1 MINI. These were 2 ATSF
covered hopper roofs & parts for conversion of Stewart 3-bay hoppers to ATSF
grain cars.

The Sunshine catalog says these were/are only available at meets, and as I
live in Australia, sadly I don't see myself attending one of those anytime
soon.

If you have any that are surplus to needs please email me at
davenorth at optusnet dot com dot au and let me knowwhat you want or them.
Cheers
Dave North




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links


Clark Cooper
 

Is the Acccurail 3-bay hopper car appropriate for this conversion?

-Clark Cooper

On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Jim & Lisa Hayes wrote:

This is one of the few Sunshine mini-kits included in the price
list. It's
kit # M.1, 2 radial roofs, hatches, and a few other bits, plus
decals for
$30. See the last page of the new prices list. It's used with the
Bowser
triple hopper.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

Hi,
I'm looking for 2 or 3 sets of Sunshine kit M1 MINI. These were 2 ATSF
covered hopper roofs & parts for conversion of Stewart 3-bay hoppers
to ATSF
grain cars.

The Sunshine catalog says these were/are only available at meets,
and as I
live in Australia, sadly I don't see myself attending one of those
anytime
soon.

If you have any that are surplus to needs please email me at
davenorth at optusnet dot com dot au and let me knowwhat you want or
them.
Cheers
Dave North

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



Tim O'Connor
 

Clark

Yes, Accurail's model is better than the Bowser (formerly Stewart)
3-bay triple offset hopper. But the resin roof was made to fit the
Stewart body so I'm not sure it would fit the Accurail car.

Tim O'Connor

At 9/11/2009 07:00 PM Friday, you wrote:
Is the Acccurail 3-bay hopper car appropriate for this conversion?

-Clark Cooper

On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Jim & Lisa Hayes wrote:

This is one of the few Sunshine mini-kits included in the price
list. It's
kit # M.1, 2 radial roofs, hatches, and a few other bits, plus
decals for
$30. See the last page of the new prices list. It's used with the
Bowser
triple hopper.

Jim Hayes


David North <davenorth@...>
 

Thanks to everyone for their info on the hopper car roofs.

I didn't realise they were still available.

I saw them on the list as a Gift and though some of you may non-ATSF types
may have them tucked away on a shelf.

I'm afraid at US$30 plus $39 shipping that would make the roofs about A$93 a
pair.



Steve L, as soon as you mentioned radial roofs I remembered that

I have some Central Valley radial roofs, so I think I'll look to modify
them.

Again, thanks to all

Cheers

Dave North

Sydney

Australia


gn3397 <heninger@...>
 

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "David North" <davenorth@...> wrote:

I have some Central Valley radial roofs, so I think I'll look to modify
them.
Cheers

Dave North

Sydney

Australia

Dave,
As an alternative, if you have the August 1999 issue of Mainline Modeler, Bob Hundman describes how to scratchbuild the Chicago-Cleveland radial roof that was used on these covered hopper conversions.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Iowa City, IA


Steve SANDIFER
 

The CV roofs look different. They are also 12+" wider than the ATSF.
______________
J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net
Home: 12027 Mulholland Drive, Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX 77025, 713-667-9417

----- Original Message -----
From: gn3397
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:06 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Hopper Car with box car roof


--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "David North" <davenorth@...> wrote:

> I have some Central Valley radial roofs, so I think I'll look to modify
> them.
>

> Cheers
>
> Dave North
>
> Sydney
>
> Australia

Dave,
As an alternative, if you have the August 1999 issue of Mainline Modeler, Bob Hundman describes how to scratchbuild the Chicago-Cleveland radial roof that was used on these covered hopper conversions.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Heninger
Iowa City, IA


David North <davenorth@...>
 

Thanks Robert. I'm grateful for the heads-up. I have that MM.

Steven, I was only going to use the CV roof as the core for

hopper roof as it is moulded with the curve.



Now that Robert has pointed me to the MM article, I'll likely follow that
process.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input.

Cheers

Dave


rwitt_2000
 

Clark Cooper asked:

Is the Acccurail 3-bay hopper car appropriate for this conversion?

Tim O'Connor answered:

Yes, Accurail's model is better than the Bowser (formerly Stewart)
3-bay triple offset hopper. But the resin roof was made to fit the
Stewart body so I'm not sure it would fit the Accurail car.





The photo provided shows a triple hopper built to ARA standard with
"stepped" off-sets in the end panels and the "hat" braces at the top of
the sides. From other photos I recall that the ATSF did have post WWII
AAR standard, triple hoppers. I don't have Richard's book on Santa Fe
open top cars so is there information indicating that the Santa Fe built
"roofed" hoppers from both types of triple hoppers? For some curious
reason Roundhouse (now Athearn) made a model of the ARA off-set side
triple hopper in N scale, but not HO.

Bob Witt