Wegman (?) PFE/ART resin kit

asychis@...

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

Bill Welch

Actually I think they are a Sunshine kits cast as a one piece body. They come with brass foot holds for the roof, and a choice of ice hatch covers.

From the photo I have showing the outside metal roof from a relatively high angle, I determined the number of roof ribs was not correct, so I removed the ones that were cast on and replaced them with strip styrene. I think my two models are still pictured on the Steam Era website. I used a combination of Sunshine, Champ and Terry's decals. Based on a recommendation I saw I think in the MPHS magazine, I used Modelflex D&RGW gold to paint the sides. I built two, one w/fans and still have two unbuilt kits

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, asychis@... wrote:

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

Paul Lyons

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Actually I think they are a Sunshine kits cast as a one piece body. They come with brass foot holds for the roof, and a choice of ice hatch covers.

From the photo I have showing the outside metal roof from a relatively high angle, I determined the number of roof ribs was not correct, so I removed the ones that were cast on and replaced them with strip styrene. I think my two models are still pictured on the Steam Era website. I used a combination of Sunshine, Champ and Terry's decals. Based on a recommendation I saw I think in the MPHS magazine, I used Modelflex D&RGW gold to paint the sides. I built two, one w/fans and still have two unbuilt kits

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, asychis@... wrote:

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

GUYZ,

          By chance, is this one of Dennis S. original kits? They were one piece blocks.

Fred Freitas

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Actually I think they are a Sunshine kits cast as a one piece body. They come with brass foot holds for the roof, and a choice of ice hatch covers.

From the photo I have showing the outside metal roof from a relatively high angle, I determined the number of roof ribs was not correct, so I removed the ones that were cast on and replaced them with strip styrene. I think my two models are still pictured on the Steam Era website. I used a combination of Sunshine, Champ and Terry's decals. Based on a recommendation I saw I think in the MPHS magazine, I used Modelflex D&RGW gold to paint the sides. I built two, one w/fans and still have two unbuilt kits

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, asychis@... wrote:

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

pierreoliver2003 <pierre.oliver@...>

Paul,
I think you are mistaken. I have a memory of a Sunshine reefer kit that had the ends and sides cast as one piece, with a seperate roof and floor. Of course I can't remember which kit it was at this time.
Now one could argue that without the roof or underframe it doesn't fully qualify as a one piece body.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, cobrapsl@... wrote:

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Paul Lyons

Pierre,

You may be right, but someone is going to have to give me a number. I am well over a hundred Sunshine kits built and yet to see the "animal" you decribe.

Paul Lyons

I think you are mistaken. I have a memory of a Sunshine reefer kit that had the ends and sides cast as one piece, with a seperate roof and floor. Of course I can't remember which kit it was at this time.
Now one could argue that without the roof or underframe it doesn't fully qualify as a one piece body.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, cobrapsl@... wrote:

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

Pierre, I had the same memory. I checked my all-time list and found kits
34.14 & 34.15, BREX & WFEX reefers listed as Quick-Kits. One piece sides and
ends is close enough to a "one piece" body for me.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

Paul Lyons

Thanks Jim,

I have a couple in the closet to look at when I get home. However, those sure are not?PFE/ART models! So I guess, the question still lingers. What kit are we taliking about Jerry?

Paul Lyons

Pierre, I had the same memory. I checked my all-time list and found kits
34.14 & 34.15, BREX & WFEX reefers listed as Quick-Kits. One piece sides and
ends is close enough to a "one piece" body for me.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

Andy Carlson

I am surprised that Gerald Glow hasn't responded, since he was instrumental with the development of this car, and he did the decals with his ALPS printer.

Terry and Gerald thought that the ART reefer from Sunshine could use some improvements, and Terry proceeded to assemble a better body and then made a complex acrylic mold box to allow pouring one-piece castings. Terry did about 50 of these cars, and I know for an absolute fact that Terry will not be making any more-EVER (He has all he wants)! Terry is immersed in bringing his tri-color LED equipped US&S H2 searchlight signals to market and isn't entertaining any ideas of other projects, especially at this time.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________
I have a couple in the closet to look at when I get home. However, those sure are not?PFE/ART models! So I guess, the question still lingers. What kit are we taliking about Jerry?

Paul Lyons

Pierre, I had the same memory. I checked my all-time list and found kits
34.14 & 34.15, BREX & WFEX reefers listed as Quick-Kits. One piece sides and
ends is close enough to a "one piece" body for me.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits. com

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...> wrote:

GUYZ,

By chance, is this one of Dennis S. original kits? They were one piece blocks.

Fred Freitas
Nope, not mine.

Dennis

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

Darn, I missed that one. I have several different Wegman products and every
one is great. His signals are exquisite. Anyone have a Wegman ART reefer kit
they'd be willing to sell?

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

I am surprised that Gerald Glow hasn't responded, since he was instrumental
with the development of this car, and he did the decals with his ALPS
printer.

Terry and Gerald thought that the ART reefer from Sunshine could use some
improvements, and Terry proceeded to assemble a better body and then made a
complex acrylic mold box to allow pouring one-piece castings. Terry did
about 50 of these cars, and I know for an absolute fact that Terry will not
be making any more-EVER (He has all he wants)! Terry is immersed in bringing
his tri-color LED equipped US&S H2 searchlight signals to market and isn't
entertaining any ideas of other projects, especially at this time.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Dennis Williams

Paul.
  I do recall that he did a reefer that had all 4 sides molded together.  Just add the roof and floor.  Can not remember which one.  I will see if I can find out. Dennis

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Actually I think they are a Sunshine kits cast as a one piece body. They come with brass foot holds for the roof, and a choice of ice hatch covers.

From the photo I have showing the outside metal roof from a relatively high angle, I determined the number of roof ribs was not correct, so I removed the ones that were cast on and replaced them with strip styrene. I think my two models are still pictured on the Steam Era website. I used a combination of Sunshine, Champ and Terry's decals. Based on a recommendation I saw I think in the MPHS magazine, I used Modelflex D&RGW gold to paint the sides. I built two, one w/fans and still have two unbuilt kits

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, asychis@... wrote:

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

Dennis Williams

Paul.
  One of the kits is #34.14 BREX78200series Burlington Reefer

  I do recall that he did a reefer that had all 4 sides molded together.  Just add the roof and floor.  Can not remember which one.  I will see if I can find out. Dennis

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Actually I think they are a Sunshine kits cast as a one piece body. They come with brass foot holds for the roof, and a choice of ice hatch covers.

From the photo I have showing the outside metal roof from a relatively high angle, I determined the number
of roof ribs was not correct, so I removed the ones that were cast on and replaced them with strip styrene. I think my two models are still pictured on the Steam Era website. I used a combination of Sunshine, Champ and Terry's decals. Based on a recommendation I saw I think in the MPHS magazine, I used Modelflex D&RGW gold to paint the sides. I built two, one w/fans and still have two unbuilt kits

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, asychis@... wrote:

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits
of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

Dennis Williams

paul.
  One of the kits is #34.14 BREX78200series Burlington Reefer, and the kit #34.15 WFEX 38'8" Reefer. I hope this helps.   Thanks Jim for ALL the useful info on your site.   Dennis Williams (I owed you one!)

  I do recall that he did a reefer that had all 4 sides molded together.  Just add the roof and floor.  Can not remember which one.  I will see if I can find out. Dennis

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Actually I think they are a Sunshine kits cast as a one piece body. They come with brass foot holds for the roof, and a choice of ice hatch covers.

From the photo I have showing the outside metal roof from a relatively high angle, I determined the number of roof ribs was not correct, so I removed the ones that were cast on and replaced them with strip styrene. I think my two models are still pictured on the Steam Era website. I used a combination of Sunshine, Champ and Terry's decals. Based on a recommendation I saw I think in the MPHS magazine, I used Modelflex D&RGW gold to paint the sides. I built two, one w/fans and still have two unbuilt kits

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, asychis@... wrote:

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

Dennis Williams

Paul.
  The kits in question are the #34.14 BREX 78200 , and the 34.15 WFEX 38'8" reefers.  I hope that this helps...   Thanks Mr. Jim Hayes for ALL the useful info on your site.  I owed you one!!!!!   Dennis Williams

  I do recall that he did a reefer that had all 4 sides molded together.  Just add the roof and floor.  Can not remember which one.  I will see if I can find out. Dennis

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Actually I think they are a Sunshine kits cast as a one piece body. They come with brass foot holds for the roof, and a choice of ice hatch covers.

From the photo I have showing the outside metal roof from a relatively high angle, I determined the number of roof ribs was not correct, so I removed the ones that were cast on and replaced them with strip styrene. I think my two models are still pictured on the Steam Era website. I used a combination of Sunshine, Champ and Terry's decals. Based on a recommendation I saw I think in the MPHS magazine, I used Modelflex D&RGW gold to paint the sides. I built two, one w/fans and still have two unbuilt kits

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, asychis@... wrote:

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

Paul Lyons

Thanks Dennis, Jim had given me the kit numbers earlier, but I am not home to look at those kits.

Paul Lyons

?

You guys really have my curosity up as to what kit you are talking about. Bill, if it is a one piece body, it is NOT a Sunshine kit, as Martin has never done any one piece castings, except for the quasi gondolas castings.

Paul Lyons

Actually I think they are a Sunshine kits cast as a one piece body. They come with brass foot holds for the roof, and a choice of ice hatch covers.

From the photo I have showing the outside metal roof from a relatively high angle, I determined the number of roof ribs was not correct, so I removed the ones that were cast on and replaced them with strip styrene. I think my two models are still pictured on the Steam Era website. I used a combination of Sunshine, Champ and Terry's decals. Based on a recommendation I saw I think in the MPHS magazine, I used Modelflex D&RGW gold to paint the sides. I built two, one w/fans and still have two unbuilt kits

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, asychis@... wrote:

I am preparing a presentation on ART models for the Missouri Pacific
Historical Society meeting in Omaha. I have two of these models, but
unfortunately did not keep the instructions. Can someone provide me with details on
these kits? I know the numbers series, and have built the models, but I
believe they were modifications of a PFE wood-sided reefer. I'd like to know
how they differ from the PFE car and any other tidbits of information. Do
I have the name right? Has anyone else built the ART version? Want to
send me a photo to include in the talk?

Thanks,

Jerry Michels

jerryglow2

Amazing what goes on when you take a few day break. Terry was and is, of course, a PFE fan and I followd his advice on building quite a few but as a MP modeler bemoned the lack of ART models. We obtained one of Martin's ART wood side kits (already discontinued) and Terry corrected a few details and made it into a one piece body as reported and I did supplemental decals on the ALPS as Andy indicated.

Jerry Glow