JN reweigh symbol on refurbished boxcars

leakinmywaders

I'm going to push the envelope on the time frame of the list by just a hair, and am begging the moderator's tolerance as this does concern the disposition of a group of venerable steam era freight cars. The NP's round roof boxcars, ex-DT&I, show reweigh station symbols "JN" at delivery in 1961. Can anyone identify the likely repairer/rebuilder from that symbol?

My best guess is JN stands for Bethlehem Steel's Johnstown, PA plant, but I would appreciate any confirmation that this plant was doing rebuilds in the late 1950s-early 60s time frame, or that they used the JN reweigh symbol.

A.A. Morrison of Buffalo, NY, under two or three different corporate monikers, was the broker of these lease deals and owner of the cars, and he used Greenville Steel Car, also of PA, to repair or rebuild other lots of second-hand boxcars.

If anyone has background information on Mr. A.A. Morrison and his business activity I'd be appreciative to learn of it. He appears to be one of the Morrison freight car and steel clan in upstate New York, but operating as something of a free agent in these freight car leasing agreements. He appears to have approached the NP some time around 1959 upon seeing a business opportunity to help alleviate recurring west coast boxcar shortages).

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

According to the list here:

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/protoinfomain.html

JN was Johnston Yard on the IC.

KL

I'm going to push the envelope on the time frame of the list by just a hair, and am begging the moderator's tolerance as this does concern the disposition of a group of venerable steam era freight cars. The NP's round roof boxcars, ex-DT&I, show reweigh station symbols "JN" at delivery in 1961. Can anyone identify the likely repairer/rebuilder from that symbol?

Mark Heiden

Hi Chris,

In this case, JN is the symbol for the DT&I shops in Jackson, Ohio, where the work was done.

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., "Christopher" <leakinmywaders@...> wrote:

I'm going to push the envelope on the time frame of the list by just a hair, and am begging the moderator's tolerance as this does concern the disposition of a group of venerable steam era freight cars. The NP's round roof boxcars, ex-DT&I, show reweigh station symbols "JN" at delivery in 1961. Can anyone identify the likely repairer/rebuilder from that symbol?

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

leakinmywaders

Thanks, Mark, that sounds right. I had the source showing JN for the IC Johnston Yard too but that in this case that didn't make much sense.

Chris Frissell

--- In STMFC@..., "mark_heiden" <mark_heiden@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,

In this case, JN is the symbol for the DT&I shops in Jackson, Ohio, where the work was done.

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., "Christopher" <leakinmywaders@> wrote:

I'm going to push the envelope on the time frame of the list by just a hair, and am begging the moderator's tolerance as this does concern the disposition of a group of venerable steam era freight cars. The NP's round roof boxcars, ex-DT&I, show reweigh station symbols "JN" at delivery in 1961. Can anyone identify the likely repairer/rebuilder from that symbol?

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

J.A. Phillips

CF-

Think that might be Jamestown. Ask Rick Leach for a complete list of NP paint station codes. AU, ST, etc., etc., etc.

JP3

Tim O'Connor

JP

No JN or Jamestown, nor ST in this list. What is ST?

AU NP Auburn WA
BD NP Brainerd MN
BG NP Billings MT
BJ NP Bemidgi MN
BM NP Bellingham WA
BT NP Butte MT
CE NP Cle Elum WA
CO NP Como MN Minneapolis
DL NP Dilworth
DU NP Duluth MN
EV NP Everett WA
F NP Fargo ND
GF NP East Grand Forks ND
GV NP Glendive MT
HL NP Helena MT
HO NP Hoquiam WA
LR NP Laurel Shops MN
LT NP Lewiston WA
LV NP Livingston MT
MI NP Mississippi St MN St. Paul
MN NP Mandan SD
MP NP Minneapolis MN
MS NP Missoula MT
MT NP Minnesota Transfer MN
NT NP Northtown MN Minneapolis
PA NP Pasco WA
PT NP Portland OR
PW NP Parkwater WA Spokane
SE NP Staples
SK NP Spokane WA
SL NP Seattle WA
TA NP Tacoma WA
TS NP Third St MN St. Paul
WA NP Wallace
YA NP Yakima WA

At 9/19/2009 12:55 AM Saturday, you wrote:
CF-

Think that might be Jamestown. Ask Rick Leach for a complete list of NP paint station codes. AU, ST, etc., etc., etc.

JP3

leakinmywaders

JP3: Thanks, I have the NP station symbols, but at delivery to the NP these leaser cars were marked with the codes of the east coast shops where they were refurbished, rather than any NP station. (This took me a while to figure out as GV on some leaser boxcars is the symbol for Glendive, MT, but turns out to have been Greenville, PA.)

Just this evening I found confirmation in NP president's correspondence that the round roof cars in question were refurbed at DT&I's shops as Mark Heiden pointed out in his reply, so this "JN" was for Jackson, OH. DT&I was the previous owner of the first two groups of round roof cars the NP got, so it makes good sense. Interesting that the third lot of round roof cars the NP leased (in 1962) were also worked on by DT&I at Jackson, even though in that case the cars originated with the N&W.

Incidentally the N&W 50-ft round roof cars differed in a couple of visible design features (side sills, side panels and framing) from the PRR and DT&I 50 foot double door cars. I think N&W shops expanded their own 50-ft plan from the base PRR X-31 40-ft plan, rather than adopting the PRR's own 50ft design.

Apparently the rest of NP's leasers (most ex-Erie and DLW AARoid boxcars ca. 1937-41, and later a lot of LV PS-1s) were repaired and updated at Greenville Steel Car. My thanks to Matt Herson, Jim Eager, and Eric Neubauer for helping me along with this research over the past few years.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

--- In STMFC@..., "Phillips, III, J.A." <whstlpnk@...> wrote:

CF-

Think that might be Jamestown. Ask Rick Leach for a complete list of NP paint station codes. AU, ST, etc., etc., etc.

JP3

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

On the NP S.T. is for South Tacoma.

Richard Wilkens