Safeway Foods reefers

goldrod_1 <goldrod_1@...>

Did Safeway Foods have a fleet of leased reefers? I have seen many cars on the market at different times over the years, but I do not remember ever seeing a real one before. Thanks for any help.

Michael Bishop

Tim O'Connor

Michael

I know what you mean, I had an Athearn Safeway 50' reefer as a teenager.
But I've never seen a photo of such a car and I can't find any published
references or emails ever discussing them.

Tim

Did Safeway Foods have a fleet of leased reefers? I have seen many cars on the market at different times over the years, but I do not remember ever seeing a real one before. Thanks for any help.

Michael Bishop

Richard Townsend

While we're on the subject of never seen a real one, has anyone seen a real Carnation reefer like this one (or a photo of a real one)?? http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH1602

I've seen photos of real ones like these,

http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/906mqvtb/Ho-Rtr-41-Apos-Reefer-Carnation?

and these

http://cgi.ebay.com/InterMountain-Carnation-Milk-Wood-Reefer-HO-47722-03_W0QQitemZ190333549620QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090907?IMSfp=TL090907186001r12519
but nothing like the Athearn version

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Did Safeway Foods have a fleet of leased reefers? I have seen many cars on the market at different times over the years, but I do not remember ever seeing a real one before. Thanks for any help.

Michael Bishop

michael bishop <goldrod_1@...>

I beginning to think that some of these paint schemes have been around so long and used by so many model railroad manufactures, copied and recopied that they do not know if it is really correct or not. Like the Santa Fe green cattle car, it been done by about every model railroad company out there and in all scales. I have seen the Carnation car in all black lettering, no red at all and some painted in all red with no black. I guess this is what makes "Model Railroad is Fun".

Michael Bishop

Did Safeway Foods have a fleet of leased reefers? I have seen many cars on the market at different times over the years, but I do not remember ever seeing a real one before. Thanks for any help.

Michael Bishop

http://mail.yahoo.com

Mr Charles burns

Hey Micheal
 I recall seeing one come through San Luis Obispo CA in the 70's.  I had an Athearn 50' HO version at the time, and the prototype car was remarkably similar.
 I had heard that Irv Athearn would take pictures of cars in Taylor yard in Los Angeles for reference.
Charlie Burns
N Scale Coastline '64