Topics

More Reefer help

roblmclear <rob.mclear2@...>

Hi to all

I have been busily painting a decorating my reefer fleet of recent times and for information model N scale. Thanks to everyone who replied to my PFE question which gleaned some information that I was not aware of that PFE/WP never had any steel cars, only wood, thanks George.. These I guess will now have to be repainted as well. My question is this, or should I say questions...

I am trying to decorate some Swift Reefers in the pre all red scheme and have commissioned some decals to be made both with the all black lettering scheme and the 1948 scheme with the red/white swift logo on the right hand side of the car. I have managed also to pick up some Fine N Scale wooden truss rod reefer kits that look like with the addition of a new underframe could be made into a reasonable facsimilie of a 37' wooden Swift reefer. I don't know what the prototype was for this but with a scratchbuilt centre steel beam and exposes bracing they could be made to look close to the wooden Swift car. If Martin Loften or Richard Hendrickson (still overseas it seems) or anyone else is out there with knowledge of what I need to do to get them closer please get in touch. I do have the article printed in the Railmodel Journal in February 1993 and is the basis for my questions.

My question is in a number of articles I have seen the paint scheme for both of the earlier cars is Reefer Yellow Sides with a Red roof and ends. Is the roof a red like a fire engine red or a more sedate boxcar red? Thanks for any help that you can give.

Regards to all
Rob McLear
Brisbane Australia.

John Riddell <jriddell@...>

Hi Rob,

There is an excellent colour photo in book "Classic Freight Cars Volume 3" that provides a down-on view of a yard full of bright red Swift reefers. All the wood roofs are weathered. The original wood roof colour may have been bright red but after some use appears to be more like box car red, with a gray cast. Hope that helps.

I hope the sand storm dust didn't get on your fine models.

John Riddell

Scott Pitzer

My question is in a number of articles I have seen the paint scheme for both of the earlier cars is Reefer Yellow Sides with a Red roof and ends. Is the roof a red like a fire engine red or a more sedate boxcar red? Thanks for any help that you can give.

Regards to all
Rob McLear
Brisbane Australia.
=================================
The yellow-sided cars had box car red roofs.
Scott Pitzer

roblmclear <rob.mclear2@...>

Thanks Scott

To all I have the information I was looking for thanks to all that replied on the list or off list. The knowledge in the group is formidable and available what more can a bloke want!!

Thanks
Rob.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "scottpitzer2002" <scottp459@...> wrote:

My question is in a number of articles I have seen the paint scheme for both of the earlier cars is Reefer Yellow Sides with a Red roof and ends. Is the roof a red like a fire engine red or a more sedate boxcar red? Thanks for any help that you can give.

Regards to all
Rob McLear
Brisbane Australia.
=================================
The yellow-sided cars had box car red roofs.
Scott Pitzer

tmolsen@...

John,

How are you! Been a long time! Saw your post regarding Swift reefers in Classic Freight Cars #3! Who published that series? Somewhere I must have missed it!

Are you going to Naperville this year? I hear that Keith Jordan is going to pick it up next year. Tony Thompson mentioned it to me recently. Sounds fine to me!

regards,

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479