Topics

Conductor Fraley’s Train Book, Sept-Oct, 1938

Wendye Ware

Hi Folks

I recently found 128 Union Pacific Freight Conductors' Train Books in the attic of the Laramie Depot, and earlier summarized the contents of Conductor Ferguson's Train Book, May-June, 1938.

Herein is a summary report on UP Conductor Fraley's Train Book, September 12 to October 18, 1938. During this time, Conductor Fraley rode 43 trains between Laramie (MP 566) and Rawlins (MP 683), Wyoming, on the UP mainline. Twenty-two trains were westbound, and the remaining 21 were headed east. The trains consisted of a total of 2,648 cars, and Fraley listed the railroad name and number of 2,510 of them, in most cases recording the contents and destinations as well.

Twenty-two trains were pulled by 4-6-6-4 engines in the 3900 series. Seventeen were led by 4-12-2s in the 9000 series. Two trains were headed by 2-8-2s, and the motive power was not listed for two others. On September 12, after leaving Rawlins and traveling 21 miles, eastbound engine 3916 overheated and was replaced by UP 3908. Fraley rode behind 3916 on three more occasions without incident.

The longest train had 89 cars, the shortest 9; the average was about 62 cars. In total, 2648 cars were hauled, 1975 with loads, and 664 empty. Eastbound, 1367 cars were pulled, 1270 loaded, 97 empty. The longest train had 87 cars, the shortest 17, and the average was 65 cars. Westbound, there were 1281 cars, 705 with loads, 567 empty. The longest train was 89 cars, the shortest was 9, and the average was 58. Three entire westbound trains, of lengths 69, 72, and 78 cars, consisted entirely of empties. Eight westbound trains and one eastbound had more empties than loads. In these nine trains, 3 of which were entirely empty, there were 91 loads and 581 empties. Most of the empties were PFE reefers headed west.

Fraley listed the ownership for 2510 cars. The most common eastbound cars were PFE reefers, followed by various types of UP cars. In decreasing order of frequency, ownership of the eastbound cars was:

Most common eastbound cars, all types:
Railroad, number of cars
PFE 736
UP 277
MDT 38
CNW 35
NYC 24
CB&Q 22
UTLX 18
SLSF 17
SP 16
MILW 14
PRR 13
ART 8
NRC 8 (Northern Refrigerator Line)
RI 8
URT 8 (URTX?)
MC 7
MP 7
KCS 6
REx 6 (Railway Express)
UCR 6 (Utah Coal)
ATSF 5
MSCX 5 (Mather Stock Car Co.)
WP 5
Others 78
Total 1367

Westbound ownership was as follows:

Most common westbound cars, all types:
Railroad, number of cars
PFE 400
UP 256
NYC 41
UTL 36 (UTLX? If so, then UTLX = 38 cars)
CB&Q 30
SP 29
MILW 29
PRR 24
GTW 16
WGL 14 (Initials hard to read; contents oil)
RI 13
ATSF 13
CNW 12
SLSF 12
B&O 11
MDT 10
MP 9
WABASH 9
NP 9
WP 6
IC 6
NKP 6
URT 5 (URTX? If so, then URTX = 7)
UCR 5 (Utah Coal)
EJ&E 5
PM 5
SFRD 5
C&S 5
SOO 5
Others 117
Total 1143

Fraley listed the type of car (box, auto, reefer, etc.) for 587 cars. Many of the car types for those not identified could be inferred from the ownership (e.g., PFE = reefer), and a few hundred more were matched by comparison with a digital January ORER of box and auto cars. By these means, the number of cars with their type identified was brought to 2179.

Among the box and auto cars, ownership was distributed as follows:

Most common eastbound box and auto cars:
Railroad, number of cars
UP 139
NYC 20
CB&Q 19
SP 16
CNW 12
MILW 10
PRR 8
SLSF 8
RI 7
MC 6
WP 5
Others 40
Total 290

Most common westbound box and auto cars:
Railroad, number of cars
UP 152
NYC 37
CB&Q 29
SP 27
MILW 25
PRR 22
GTW 15
ATSF 13
RI 12
SLSF 11
B&O 9
CNW 9
NP 8
WABASH 8
NKP 6
WP 6
SOO 5
Others 59
Total 453

As time permits, I'll report on the contents of the cars.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming

devansprr

--- In STMFC@..., "laramielarry" <larryostresh@...> wrote:

Hi Folks

I recently found 128 Union Pacific Freight Conductors' Train Books in the attic of the Laramie Depot, and earlier summarized the contents of Conductor Ferguson's Train Book, May-June, 1938.

As time permits, I'll report on the contents of the cars.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming
Larry,

First, thank-you for all of the analysis you have reported - very informative.

Along the lines of conductor train books, I see 39 SP conductor train books on sale on e-bay - split up into 9 lots - not cheap.

Too bad there isn't some form of association where members could share in the expense, then share in the analysis and results. These books range from '42 to '68.

Dve Evans