Star Brand Paints

snoqualmier <leethwaits@...>

Is it necessary to put a gloss coat over PBL's Star Brand Paints before applying decals?

Lee Thwaits

Marty McGuirk

Lee,

The Star Paints dry glossy - the finish is very similar to Accupaint or Scalecoat. The only exception may be one or two of the specific weathering colors, but I've not used them so can't say for certain.

Marty

Lee Thwaits <leethwaits@...>

Marty,

The Star Brand paints I have used dry to what I would call a semi-gloss. The loco I just painted with their Satin Black is really quite flat thus prompting my question about applying a gloss coat before decalling.

Lee

losgatos48 <losgatos48@...>

Lee
I have used a number of the Star colors. Most of the line that I have used dries to an "eggshell" finish. The one exception is DARK OLIVE. They sell a clear gloss lacquer that works very well. You can use Future floor wax also.

Gene Deimling

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "snoqualmier" <leethwaits@...> wrote:

Is it necessary to put a gloss coat over PBL's Star Brand Paints before applying decals?

Lee Thwaits

Tim O'Connor

Since Star is similar to Accupaint, it requires a lot of thinning
and is helped somewhat by a small amount of retarder. Also it can
be very sensitive to ambient humidity and this can affect the final
finish significantly. (High humidity can result in a flat, chalky
finish.)

Gene how do you spray Future -- do you thin it with something? What
pressure do you use?

Tim O'Connor

At 10/1/2009 11:53 AM Thursday, you wrote:
Lee
I have used a number of the Star colors. Most of the line that I have used dries to an "eggshell" finish. The one exception is DARK OLIVE. They sell a clear gloss lacquer that works very well. You can use Future floor wax also.

Gene Deimling

Tim O'Connor

Lee

Did you thin the paint at least 1:1 with thinner? Did you add
a few drops of retarder?

At 10/1/2009 11:32 AM Thursday, you wrote:
Marty,

The Star Brand paints I have used dry to what I would call a
semi-gloss. The loco I just painted with their Satin Black is really
quite flat thus prompting my question about applying a gloss coat before
decalling.

Lee

VINCE PUGLIESE

Tim::

This might prove useful if you are interested in using Future:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

..vp

________________________________
Since Star is similar to Accupaint, it requires a lot of thinning
and is helped somewhat by a small amount of retarder. Also it can
be very sensitive to ambient humidity and this can affect the final
finish significantly. (High humidity can result in a flat, chalky
finish.)

Gene how do you spray Future -- do you thin it with something? What
pressure do you use?

Tim O'Connor

At 10/1/2009 11:53 AM Thursday, you wrote:
Lee
I have used a number of the Star colors. Most of the line that I have used dries to an "eggshell" finish. The one exception is DARK OLIVE. They sell a clear gloss lacquer that works very well. You can use Future floor wax also.

Gene Deimling

Gene <losgatos48@...>

Tim
I shoot straight Future on models most of the time. It can be thinned with Testors Airbrush Thinner for Acrylics. The Polyscale thinner has caused problems.

Gene Deimling

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, VINCE PUGLIESE <gigitreosei@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim,
You may be correct about high humidity. I live in the Puget sound area and it was raining the night I did the painting. Although I have never had a problem with humidity when spraying Scalecoat or acrylics I have not used Star Brand paints under these weather conditions before.

This paint had to thinned about 80% (20 parts paint 80 parts thinner). I contacted PBL and was told that the employee thinning the paint for bottles probably didn't thin it enough.
Lee