From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim
O'Connor
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 1:05 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Sunshine L&N Boxcar kit # 85.1

Paul, a 2' difference doesn't sound like resin shrinkage -- it
sounds like the wrong floor. Incorrect packing unfortunately is
not an uncommon problem if you have a lot of Sunshine kits. I've
had to write for replacement parts too. For example I bought an
SLSF single sheathed kit with steel sides, but the kit was packed
with wood sheathed sides. And I had built an ATSF flat car before
I realized it was the wrong body for the kit.

Tim

Paul Lyons

Brian,

It is a real oddity for a kit to be off as much as the?one that started the tread. Spend your time building one of them, rather than going through them measuring floors and sdes!

Have a Good Weekend!

Paul Lyons

Tim and others how often did this happen? I have 3-4 dozen sunshine kits
many older, and I don't usually look at them until I start to build. I'm
wondering if I should investigate them all

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

gn3397 <heninger@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Carlson" <brian@...> wrote:

Tim and others how often did this happen? I have 3-4 dozen sunshine kits
many older, and I don't usually look at them until I start to build. I'm
wondering if I should investigate them all

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY
Brian,
I have had three incorrectly packaged kits by Sunshine, out of 100+ purchased. I can't believe you have the restraint to not open the kits until you are going to build them, I open every kit as soon as I receive them and enjoy that new resin smell!

Sincerely,
Bob Heninger
Iowa City, IA

Dennis Williams

I have built over 200 Sunshine, F&C, Westerfield and RYM. Very, very few had problems.  One problem that I had was Westerfield "black" kits.  I talked to Al about these kits and understand the problem( very fragile).  Years ago he replaced to defective kits and the shops still sold them. He said that he can no longer replace them. Can't blame him after 20+ years.
  All you can do is to either build them with slight mods., or see if the company will replace them.  Either way, enjoy them!!  Remember that the kits are slowly fading away to the R-T-R "things".
  Denny Williams
  Munhall, Pa.

.

Paul, a 2' difference doesn't sound like resin shrinkage -- it
sounds like the wrong floor. Incorrect packing unfortunately is
not an uncommon problem if you have a lot of Sunshine kits. I've
had to write for replacement parts too. For example I bought an
SLSF single sheathed kit with steel sides, but the kit was packed
with wood sheathed sides. And I had built an ATSF flat car before
I realized it was the wrong body for the kit.

Tim

Dennis Williams

AGREED!!!!!
Dennis Williams
Munhall, Pa.

Tim and others how often did this happen? I have 3-4 dozen sunshine kits
many older, and I don't usually look at them until I start to build. I'm
wondering if I should investigate them all

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY
Brian,
I have had three incorrectly packaged kits by Sunshine, out of 100+ purchased. I can't believe you have the restraint to not open the kits until you are going to build them, I open every kit as soon as I receive them and enjoy that new resin smell!

Sincerely,
Bob Heninger
Iowa City, IA

tmolsen@...

Perhaps we should encourage Jim Hayes to add a list of the incorrectly packaged Sunshine kits to his unofficial Sunshine Website. This would alert those of us to the specific kit numbers that have incorrect parts so that they could request replacements.

I, for one, have a large number of unbuilt Sunshine kits and to go back through each is going to be a big job. I am sure that those who have run into this problem would be willing to advise of which kit numbers need replacement parts.

How about it Jim, would you be willing to add such a listing to the website if the list membership would assist by sending the kit numbers and description of the problem?

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

Bruce Smith

On Fri, October 2, 2009 5:41 pm, tmolsen@UDel.Edu wrote:
Perhaps we should encourage Jim Hayes to add a list of the incorrectly packaged
Sunshine kits to his unofficial Sunshine Website. This would alert those of us to
the specific kit numbers that have incorrect parts so that they could request
replacements.
Tom,

This is an individual box problem, not a problem with all the kits of a certain cat
number! It comes about because Martin is a cottage industry and he packs each kit
when ordered... and mistakes happen.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tom Olsen wrote:
Perhaps we should encourage Jim Hayes to add a list of the incorrectly packaged Sunshine kits to his unofficial Sunshine Website. This would alert those of us to the specific kit numbers that have incorrect parts so that they could request replacements.
Tom, you make a huge assumption here: that all kits are packed the same, either correctly or incorrectly. Given Martin and Patricia's overall competence, I'd think it FAR more likely that only the occasional kit, of whatever kit number, gets packed wrong.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Tom Olsen wrote

Perhaps we should encourage Jim Hayes to add a list of the incorrectly
packaged Sunshine kits to his unofficial Sunshine Website...
That sounds like a frivilous idea, but how about notes about the
actual ERRORS in some of the kits, or in the assembly instructions
or the data sheets? Those are pretty numerous, although often minor.
And it usually requires knowledge from another source to notice in
the first place.

Tim O'

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

I too agree that this is an occasional problem with an individual kit, not a
consistent problem worthy of tabulating, since the parts for a kit are boxed
for each order, not dozens at a time to stock a warehouse. I find that even
the problem of an underframe not quite fitting is less frequent than it used
to be and those underframes that did need adjustment were as likely to need
a little bit sanded off as to need a little shimming. I've built more than a
hundred Sunshine kits and the only mis-pack problems I've had were not quite
enough grabs or some such minor error. I've never found wrong or missing
resin parts in any of my kits.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

William Bryk <wmbryk@...>

I must comment that, without Sunshine's work, this site might not exist. I
think that while constructive criticism is the sort of thing that any mature
adult must expect, folks should be tolerant of the odd occasional error.

Regards,
William Bryk

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net>wrote:

Tom Olsen wrote

Perhaps we should encourage Jim Hayes to add a list of the incorrectly
packaged Sunshine kits to his unofficial Sunshine Website...
That sounds like a frivilous idea, but how about notes about the
actual ERRORS in some of the kits, or in the assembly instructions
or the data sheets? Those are pretty numerous, although often minor.
And it usually requires knowledge from another source to notice in
the first place.

Tim O'

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

So Tim, are you suggesting an 'Errata' page to note instruction errors or
suggestions for alternative assembly methods and such?

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

Jim

A separate page, or just a hyperlink in the listing that takes
you to the errata notes for that kit. Of course any errata should
be confirmed by at least one other modeler or we'd get into the
nasty business of correcting the errata notes... :-)

I'll ask Byron to write up the errata notes for the SP B-50-12A
(USRA rebuild) underframe. I saw his model and it had a couple
dozen repairs in unpainted styrene and brass, so he might have a
comment or two... :-)

Tim

At 10/2/2009 07:39 PM Friday, you wrote:
So Tim, are you suggesting an 'Errata' page to note instruction errors or
suggestions for alternative assembly methods and such?

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com

roblmclear <rob.mclear2@...>

I agree, before I made the switch to N scale I had built numerous kits from Al Westerfield and some of the Sunshine kits as well, it is one of the things I miss most about switching scales there are no comparable cottage industries for my road in particular. You are pretty lucky in HO to have two of the best sources for freight cars in resin.

Rob.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, William Bryk <wmbryk@...> wrote:

I must comment that, without Sunshine's work, this site might not exist. I
think that while constructive criticism is the sort of thing that any mature
adult must expect, folks should be tolerant of the odd occasional error.

Regards,
William Bryk

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>wrote:

Tom Olsen wrote

Perhaps we should encourage Jim Hayes to add a list of the incorrectly
packaged Sunshine kits to his unofficial Sunshine Website...
That sounds like a frivilous idea, but how about notes about the
actual ERRORS in some of the kits, or in the assembly instructions
or the data sheets? Those are pretty numerous, although often minor.
And it usually requires knowledge from another source to notice in
the first place.

Tim O'

Dennis Williams

I agree with you, Tom. These are not the "shake the box kits" , which are starting to get few and far between. If you are buying a Sunshine, F&C, Westerfield, Pacific Mountian, Rail Yard Models, Modelers Choice, Sylvan, the list  goes on and on, I would consider you a craftsman.  We should be proud at these manufactures that they take the risks to develop these kits. Who knows IF they will ever sell.
   I do have one question, Would you be happy if this kit was not produced???  I have one and enjoyed it.  Thanks, Martian!!
  I would like to thank ALL the manufactures, researcher, publishers and the professional builders that make these kits happen.  This includes you, Mr. Jim Hayes. Thanks, guys and gals,  Please keep up the good work!!!

Dennis Williams
Munhall, Pa.
www.resinbuilders4u.com

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep ress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

tmolsen@...

Bruce, Tony, et al.,

It was not my intention to impugn Martin and Tricia's efforts to correctly produce freight car kits as their kits are at the top of the list for correctness. They have manufactured more kits for the large number of freight railroads that are listed in the ORER, and not only cars of original manufacture, but also the many variations or rebuilds throughout service lives the cars they replicated. I think that the total number of kits, including the variations, so far has exceeded 700 with more being added each year. This is a record in any scale that has and probably will never be matched by any commercial plastic kit builder ever!

I guess I should have worded my post more carefully as I was not referring so much to those kits having short floors, etc. (reports of which have been reported on the List), that can be repaired or easily replaced, but more so to those kits that were found to have been inadvertently packed with a part that did not match the kit description or was missing a part.

My response was a result of reading those and of Robert D. Heninger's post where he noted that he had the wrong sides for the kit that he purchased. He did not say in his post though, whether he bought the kit from Martin through the mail or at an event where Martin was in attendance.

Both Martin and Al Westerfield both produce large numbers of kits prior to their attendance to train shows or historical society events. In doing so, the possibility of an inappropriate or missing part in a kit is much greater than in kits that are produced when filling individual kits which are generally done on demand. Martin fills out on-demand orders with kits that had been unsold at train show events to save time in getting orders filled. This also can possibly increase the possibility that there may be a kit with an inappropriate part or has a damaged or missing part may be included in an order. Notice, I said a possibility exists, not a probability as Martin and Al maintain a high standard of quality control.

Tricia Lofton packages all the kits, including attending to the other aspects of the business that includes ordering all of the materials used in kit preparation, and mailing out the finished orders. My experience with Tricia is that she is very detail oriented and an omission or accidental substitution of a part is an accident. A letter to her or Martin will generally correct the problem.

Sunshine's volume of orders has resulted in a six month backlog and it is to Martin and Tricia credit that they have been able to cope with this volume and maintain such a high level of quality. Tricia has advised that should anyone find problems with any kit, be it with the instructions or parts, they should address them in a letter to her or Martin so they can try to take care of the problem.

In regard to parts that are short or damaged, I am very aware of the vagaries of how urethane cures. Al Westerfield once told me that parts spoilage rate could sometimes attain upwards of 20% in the production process, but these are generally weeded out during the casting process. This is why all the parts of a urethane kit are always cast at one time in gang molds. To cast a large number of sides, ends and other parts individually generally does not work well. F&C once tried to produce sides, ends, floors and roofs in group batches, but found that the parts when assembled would not line up properly due parts sometimes being of different lengths. They abandoned this method and returned to casting each kit individually. Reports of a broken or part of incorrect length have turned up on the list a number of times and a letter to Martin or Al, depending which of the two manufactured the kit, has resulted in replacement of the part.

Most people who know me know that I have almost 700 of Martin's kits and have extolled them to many people, but even the best manufacturer of urethane kits can make errors in packaging or manufacturing. I believe only J.P. Barger has more than I as he has bought just about every kit Martin and Al Westerfield has produced.

As not everyone immediately assembles a kit that they have just purchased kits tend to sit on the shelf for a long period of time before being assembled. My thought was that it would be helpful if there was a semi-permanent site, other than the STMFC List, that List members could record their findings. In this way, an individual could check the site from time to time and be alerted of a problem kit. Once alerted, he could look to see if he had the kit and be able to examine it to see if there is a problem of a missing or an inappropriate casting. Otherwise, the discovery may not be made until after the kit has gone out of production or the manufacturer has gone out of business.

Either way, my post did generate a number of postings which also resulted in ideas which could be put forward. I agree with Jim in regard to having Byron critique kits as Jim does not have a life span long enough to transcribe the result <G>!

Best regards,

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

Dennis Williams

I made a BIG mistake.  I was in agreemnt with Tony, not Tom.  Again, sorry for the mistake.

Dennis Williams
Munhall, Pa.
www.resinbuilders4u.com

Perhaps we should encourage Jim Hayes to add a list of the
incorrectly packaged Sunshine kits to his unofficial Sunshine
Website. This would alert those of us to the specific kit numbers
that have incorrect parts so that they could request replacements.
Tom, you make a huge assumption here: that all kits are packed
the same, either correctly or incorrectly. Given Martin and Patricia's
overall competence, I'd think it FAR more likely that only the
occasional kit, of whatever kit number, gets packed wrong.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep ress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Armand Premo

Don't forget Speedwitch.............................Top drawer.Armand Premo

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <tmolsen@...> wrote:

My response was a result of reading those and of Robert D. Heninger's post where he noted that he had the wrong sides for the kit that he purchased. He did not say in his post though, whether he bought the kit from Martin through the mail or at an event where Martin was in attendance.
Group,
I will just add a final comment or two before I cease commentary because we are starting to beat a dying, if not dead, horse with this thread. I had ordered my CMO USRA rebuild kits through the mail, so I don't know if they were leftovers from a batch that had been cast for a show or not.

Frankly, as far as I was concerned, the inclusion of the wrong sides with my kits was a non-issue, as I knew the problem would be corrected. These are hand produced items, and mistakes will happen. The problem was fixed promptly, and all is well in my little corner of the world.

Finally, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Al Westerfield (and his wife, whose name I cannot remember), Martin and Tricia Lofton, Ted Culotta, Funaro and Camerlengo, Jim King, Aaron Gjermundson, Frank Hodina, Bill Welch, Charlie Slater, Stan Townsend, Vince Griesmer, Joe Pennington, Jon Cagle, Dennis Storzek, and anyone else who I have not named; who devote their time and talents to the development and production of masters, kits, and decals of steam era freight car kits. Often, this is done mostly as a labor of love, as these folks aren't getting rich for their efforts, and often have to hear plaintive wails of "Why don't you make a... or, "You said that would be out six months ago!" or "I would buy your kits, but they are too expensive". Their efforts have made it vastly easier to be a prototype modeler. I cannot imagine trying to create a replica of the GN in September 1949 if I had to research, create artwork for decals, and scratchbuild 75+% of the cars I need.

So, the bottom line: buy these kits and enjoy them, because they have essentially made our hobby (prototype modeling, not model railroading) possible. If they have errors in accuracy, please note them for the group, so that we may use that information to improve our models, or decide if we can accept the errors.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Bob Heninger
Iowa City, Iowa

Dennis Williams

I need to be kicked in the knee for that!!!  Ted, next time yu see me, I will let you kick me in the knee!! Please be nice, though. Thank you, Armand.  I know that there are a few others.  While we are at it,  Anyone have a all time list of the builders??   Thanks, all.

Dennis Williams
Munhall, Pa.
www.resinbuilders4u.com

From: Armand Premo <armprem2@surfglobal.net>