From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill
Welch
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 2:32 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] The most common Offset Twin

The most common version did not have the ever so slight "swale" along the
bottom of the side sheathing but was straight along the bottom edge of the
car's side. The L&N and C&O had thousands of these and the Southern had
approximately 3,000. While one can "get there" using Athearn and Atlas
models, both involve removing molded on grabs and replacing with wire. The
Athearn example is not up to modern standards in that the inside of the car
is not modeled correctly.

Dennis, my apologies for leaving Accurail off the list I wish would do this
car. If you do it, please do not cast the grabs in place!
Personally, I don't care about the sill steps. There are only four per car.
But on hoppers the many grabs are out there for the world to see and need to
be modeled with wire, as with IM's covered hopper and Athearn's Airslide.

Bill Welch

Ed Hawkins

On Oct 8, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

L&N, C&O and many others
had many thousands of that AAR alt std car, too, didn't they?
Elden,
C&O had some 27,400 alternate standard cars with many variations of end
arrangements. L&N had zero alternate standard cars.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

The "most common" version of the offset side twin is not the "AAR standard"
version, or am I wrong? I guess we should discuss how many roads had how
many of each type, shouldn't we? I thought it was the AAR alternate standard
car, which has never been done by anyone, has it? L&N, C&O and many others
had many thousands of that AAR alt std car, too, didn't they?

Elden Gatwood
Bill is talking about the side sill variations of the AAR Standard car, specifically the straight side sills that make an offset toward the bottom of the car behind the side sheets vs. the version that has the sill straight for the length of the side sheets, and then angles up to the end sills. To use the AAR 70 ton triple to illustrate, the Accurail car has the later, while the Steward / Bowser car has the former.

I'm not in agreement with Bill, however, on the relative numbers of cars. There may have been more cars built total with the angled ends of the side sills,but it appears that there were more different roadnames had the straight sills at the end of the car.

Dennis

mforsyth127

<elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

I thought it was the AAR alternate standard
car, which has never been done by anyone, has it?
Indeed they have been done, and in multiples...just NOT in a "popular" scale. Rich Yoder of Rich Yoder models

http://www.richyodermodels.com/

has done several variations of the AAR Alt. Std., especially the many C&O variants...

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the D&H Penn Division/
Erie Jefferson Divison in "O" Scale,
Fall, 1951

Armand Premo

Another Offset hopper really doesn't bother me.The question I would raise is this really the most common hopper type yet to be produced? Armand Premo

On Oct 8, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD wrote:

> L&N, C&O and many others
> had many thousands of that AAR alt std car, too, didn't they?

Elden,
C&O had some 27,400 alternate standard cars with many variations of end
arrangements. L&N had zero alternate standard cars.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

I think everyone in HO is envious and wishes Rich did cars in that scale,
too. His C&O cars are beautiful, as are all his PRR models.

Elden Gatwood

http://www.richyodermodels.com/ <http://www.richyodermodels.com/>

has done several variations of the AAR Alt. Std., especially the many C&O
variants...

Matt Forsyth

Modeling the D&H Penn Division/
Erie Jefferson Divison in "O" Scale,
Fall, 1951

Tim O'Connor

Years ago, Overland imported several of the C&O cars, plus a
C&O triple, in HO scale.

At 10/9/2009 07:15 AM Friday, you wrote:
I think everyone in HO is envious and wishes Rich did cars in that scale,
too. His C&O cars are beautiful, as are all his PRR models.

Elden Gatwood

Tim O'Connor

Armand Premo wrote

Another Offset hopper really doesn't bother me. The question I
would raise is this really the most common hopper type yet to
be produced? Armand Premo
Well, if Kadee were to produce a USRA hopper, both original and
rebuilt panel side, that might be more numerous than any one of
the myriad twin offset hoppers. I only mention it because there is
no accurate "high fidelity" version of the USRA hopper in HO. (The
Tichy model fails the accuracy test, while Accurail's model has fat
grabs etc.)

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler Larrabee

At how much per copy, Tim? They imported the ERIE horizontal-rib hopper too, but at something in
the neighborhood of $110.00 each. Rather puts a crimp on a full train's worth! Over time I've
snagged about seven or eight, but if they were in plastic (as the ASH should be done, with alternate
end styles available) then I'd have more.

SGL

Years ago, Overland imported several of the C&O cars, plus a
C&O triple, in HO scale.

At 10/9/2009 07:15 AM Friday, you wrote:
I think everyone in HO is envious and wishes Rich did cars in that scale,
too. His C&O cars are beautiful, as are all his PRR models.

Elden Gatwood

Database version: 6.13450