SANTA FE REFRIGERATOR CAR TRUCKS

WILLIAM PARDIE

Could someone please recommend the best representation of a truck currently on the market for a Santa Fe RR-11 refrigerator car. The time period is the mid 40's.

Thanks:

Bill Pardie

John Hile

--- In STMFC@..., WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

Could someone please recommend the best
representation of a truck currently on the market for a Santa Fe RR-11
refrigerator car. The time period is the mid 40's.

Bill,

I have several Sunshine Rr-5-9,11 kits in various stages of completion and always keep an eye out for the right trucks.

Currently, I have my eye on the Tahoe, Buckeye, ARA 50-ton trucks (TMW-106 or TMW-206) as the closest match...the bolster end needs a vertical member, and there is no lateral motion device, but the sideframe shape, spring pack, and spring plank all look pretty good to me.

-John Hile

brianleppert@att.net

If you feel that the spring plank, spring group, lateral motion device detail and centered vertical web in the bolster end are important details, then check out Tony Thompson's SP Freight Cars book, vol. 4:Box Cars on pages 211, bottom, 226 bottom, 227 top or 239 top. The truck under these cars is the next release from Tahoe Model Works. (in about two months, hopefully)

The side frame isn't an exact match, but it's probably the closest you will get with a TMW truck.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@..., "brianleppert@..." <brianleppert@...> wrote:

If you feel that the spring plank, spring group, lateral motion device detail and centered vertical web in the bolster end are important details, then check out Tony Thompson's SP Freight Cars book, vol. 4:Box Cars on pages 211, bottom, 226 bottom, 227 top or 239 top. The truck under these cars is the next release from Tahoe Model Works. (in about two months, hopefully)

Brian,

These trucks sounds very interesting to me, however, I do not have Vol. 4 of the SP Frt Car Series. I do have Vols. 1 and 3...are the trucks featured in either of these books?

Thanks,

-John Hile

brianleppert@att.net

--- In STMFC@..., "john66h" <john66h@...> wrote:
These trucks sounds very interesting to me, however, I do not have Vol. 4 of the SP Frt Car Series. I do have Vols. 1 and 3...are the trucks featured in either of these books?

Thanks,

-John Hile
John,

In vol.1 on gondolas, see page 97 bottom. Its the right hand truck under the G-50-10. The truck on the left has the same sideframe but an older bolster.

The prototypes I'm working from were replacement trucks for older Bettendorf T-section and maybe Vulcan trucks, using new sideframes but keeping as much as possible of the old truck parts (bolster, Barber Lateral Motion Device, springs, spring plank, etc.) One real truck I've looked at is at the Western Pacific RR Museum in Portola, CA, and has sideframes cast in 1942 for Union Pacific. Closer to home at the Nevada State RR Museum here in Carson City are a pair of Southern Pacific trucks, whose sideframes were cast in 1948 or '49. All these sideframes are almost totally identical.

Very similar trucks were made for SP in the late 20s for their F-50-12 flatcars--see vol.3, page 220.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

John Hile

--- In STMFC@..., "brianleppert@..." <brianleppert@...> wrote:

In vol.1 on gondolas, see page 97 bottom. Its the right hand truck under the G-50-10. The truck on the left has the same sideframe but an older bolster.

Very similar trucks were made for SP in the late 20s for their F-50-12 flatcars--see vol.3, page 220.

Brian,

Based on the photos above, I'd say your new truck looks like a great option for my Rr-5-9, -11 SFRD reefers...perhaps some of my ATSF stock cars and tanks too. Thanks very much for doing this truck!

-John Hile