Drilling underframes

Charles Hladik

All,
Now that we've all voiced our opinions on how to clamp resin kits, how
does one drill through the center frame and crossmembers to put the brake
rigging on? I can't find any small (enough) right angle drills.
Thanks in advance,
Chuck Hladik
net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

frograbbit602

Chuck,

No right angle drills needed. Just long drill bits ( 4 1/2 inches long ) made out of .020" music ( piano ) wire or larger. The music wire is sharpened via grinding at one end creating a point or flat surface to do the drilling. ( old woodwooding working trick ) Chuck the music wire bit in a variable speed Dremel and on the lowest speed possible drill the holes needed. I drill all holes for the train line with this type of homemade drill bit. SAFETY CAUTION --- You need to hold the music wire flat ( keep the wire bit straight ) when first starting the Dremel tool or the wire will bend at the collet and will spin in large circle causing possible damage to your hand or model.

Lester Breuer

--- In STMFC@..., RUTLANDRS@... wrote:

All,
Now that we've all voiced our opinions on how to clamp resin kits, how
does one drill through the center frame and crossmembers to put the brake
rigging on? I can't find any small (enough) right angle drills.
Thanks in advance,
Chuck Hladik
net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

Take a look at www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=KTD04C. Model Expo is offering a set of 1-7/8-inch-long number drill bits in even-numbered sizes from 52-74. I haven't purchased these myself, yet, but they look like they could be useful for drilling horizontally through HO underframes.

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor
Model Railroader magazine
asperandeo@...
262-796-8776, ext. 461
FAX 262-796-1142

Tim O'Connor

On a prefab underframe found in most plastic kits (where the
crossbearers are part of the casting) if I really want to run
an airline I just flip it over and cut U-shape chunks out of the
crossbearers and place the airline through those. This is actually
done for you on a couple of brands of freight car kits, so it's
not an original idea. Once you flip the underframe over and
attach it to the freight car floor, you really can't tell (from
a casual glance) that the airline is not threaded through holes.
And it's a heck of a lot easier than trying to drill a bunch of
holes in a perfectly straight line through a bunch of crossbearers.

Tim O'Connor

At 10/16/2009 10:15 AM Friday, you wrote:
Chuck,

No right angle drills needed. Just long drill bits ( 4 1/2 inches long ) made out of .020" music ( piano ) wire or larger. The music wire is sharpened via grinding at one end creating a point or flat surface to do the drilling. ( old woodwooding working trick ) Chuck the music wire bit in a variable speed Dremel and on the lowest speed possible drill the holes needed. I drill all holes for the train line with this type of homemade drill bit. SAFETY CAUTION --- You need to hold the music wire flat ( keep the wire bit straight ) when first starting the Dremel tool or the wire will bend at the collet and will spin in large circle causing possible damage to your hand or model.

Lester Breuer

Charles Hladik

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Also heard about trying to burn a hole
in the resin with a resistance soldering rig ( don't own one).
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 10/16/2009 11:23:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
timboconnor@... writes:

[...]

Steve,
Like I said in my message, I don't own one so I have no idea.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 10/18/2009 7:10:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
stevelucas3@... writes:

You need a means of conducting electrical current through resin to burn a
hole in it with a resistance soldering unit, don't you? I personally have
soldered a .019" brass wire handrail to .010" x .030" flat brass stanchions
mounted on a resin tank car body, using a 45W pencil iron and Tix flux.

Steve Lucas.

--- In _STMFC@... (mailto:STMFC@...) ,
RUTLANDRS@.., RU

timboconnor@ timboc