USRA composite gondolas


Mark
 

My earlier message about the InterMountain car was answered and now wonder if any cars of this model ran on other roads.
Thought maybe a new paint job could get this to the fifties! Hopeful thinking and any suggestions.

Mark Morgan


Richard Hendrickson
 

On Oct 15, 2009, at 2:54 PM, bnonut wrote:

My earlier message about the InterMountain car was answered and now
wonder if any cars of this model ran on other roads.
Thought maybe a new paint job could get this to the fifties!
Hopeful thinking and any suggestions.
No good news here, Mark. Almost all of the USRA composite gondolas
were rebuilt or scrapped by the end of WW II. Minneapolis & St.
Louis had some refurbished ex-L&N cars, some of which lasted into the
early '50s, but only one of those was still listed in the 1/53 ORER.
I can't think of any other RRs that still had them in revenue service.

Richard Hendrickson


David
 

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:
I can't think of any other RRs that still had them in revenue service.
Norfolk Southern had 44 out of 150 copies in 7/50, but they were on their way out by then.


Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>
 

To combine two messages, the 'old message' of the Life photo of the Rock
Island yard in 1946 includes a great photo of the interior of a RI(?) USRA
composite drop bottom gondola. It's in the foreground near the bottom center
of the picture. Here's the link.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?
q=Locomotives+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLocomotives%2Bsource:life%
26start%3D18%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN&imgurl=499ba83230c2fb3c

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com


John Hile
 

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

No good news here, Mark. Almost all of the USRA composite gondolas
were rebuilt or scrapped by the end of WW II. Minneapolis & St.
Louis had some refurbished ex-L&N cars, some of which lasted into the
early '50s, but only one of those was still listed in the 1/53 ORER.
I can't think of any other RRs that still had them in revenue service.



At one point I tried to find unmodified (or least modified) 40' USRA cars still listed in the 1/53 ORER with composite sides. Below are my notes...

ACL 99300-99443, 141 cars
GM&O 12200-12374 most w/solid floors, 170 cars
L&N 73000-74999, 19 cars
SLSF 85000-85999 solid floors?, 358 cars

Additions and/or corrections are welcome.

John Hile


John Hile
 

--- In STMFC@..., "Jim & Lisa Hayes" <jimandlisa97225@...> wrote:

To combine two messages, the 'old message' of the Life photo of the Rock
Island yard in 1946 includes a great photo of the interior of a RI(?) USRA
composite drop bottom gondola. It's in the foreground near the bottom center
of the picture.




Jim,

That looks like a composite general-service gon to me...8 panels on the side, side posts dropping below the side sheathing, many more drop doors than a USRA car.

-John Hile


Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>
 

Could be. I'm far from an expert on gondolas.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon
www.sunshinekits.com




Jim,

That looks like a composite general-service gon to me...8 panels on the
side, side posts dropping below the side sheathing, many more drop doors
than a USRA car.

-John Hile


Richard Hendrickson
 

On Oct 15, 2009, at 6:54 PM, john66h wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson
<rhendrickson@...> wrote:

No good news here, Mark. Almost all of the USRA composite gondolas
were rebuilt or scrapped by the end of WW II. Minneapolis & St.
Louis had some refurbished ex-L&N cars, some of which lasted into the
early '50s, but only one of those was still listed in the 1/53 ORER.
I can't think of any other RRs that still had them in revenue
service.
At one point I tried to find unmodified (or least modified) 40'
USRA cars still listed in the 1/53 ORER with composite sides.
Below are my notes...

ACL 99300-99443, 141 cars
GM&O 12200-12374 most w/solid floors, 170 cars
L&N 73000-74999, 19 cars
SLSF 85000-85999 solid floors?, 358 cars
You're right , John, I'd forgotten that both ACL and Frisco still had
significant numbers of original USRA gons in '53. Though I would add
that those cars were rapidly being retired by that time and were
almost entirely gone by 1/55. Also, the few that were left were
probably used only in company service and not interchanged off-line.

Richard Hendrickson


Mark
 

Thank You for all of the replies: Bill, Richard, John and Jim.
Sincerely, Mark Morgan

--- On Thu, 10/15/09, Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...> wrote:

From: Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: USRA composite gondolas
To: STMFC@...
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 10:02 PM













 





Could be. I'm far from an expert on gondolas.



Jim Hayes

Portland Oregon

www.sunshinekits. com



Jim,



That looks like a composite general-service gon to me...8 panels on the

side, side posts dropping below the side sheathing, many more drop doors

than a USRA car.



-John Hile




































[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Tim O'Connor
 

SLSF 85954 was still in revenue service in 1958 - I have a shot
of the car loaded with pipe. One plank had been removed to make
an open slot below the top of the side.

Tim O'Connor

At one point I tried to find unmodified (or least modified) 40' USRA
cars still listed in the 1/53 ORER with composite sides. Below are my
notes...

ACL 99300-99443, 141 cars
GM&O 12200-12374 most w/solid floors, 170 cars
L&N 73000-74999, 19 cars
SLSF 85000-85999 solid floors?, 358 cars

Additions and/or corrections are welcome.

John Hile


Mark
 

Have any idea on what end that car had, Tim.
Mark Morgan

--- On Fri, 10/16/09, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: USRA composite gondolas
To: STMFC@...
Date: Friday, October 16, 2009, 2:28 PM













 







SLSF 85954 was still in revenue service in 1958 - I have a shot

of the car loaded with pipe. One plank had been removed to make

an open slot below the top of the side.



Tim O'Connor



At one point I tried to find unmodified (or least modified) 40' USRA
cars still listed in the 1/53 ORER with composite sides. Below are my
notes...
ACL 99300-99443, 141 cars
GM&O 12200-12374 most w/solid floors, 170 cars
L&N 73000-74999, 19 cars
SLSF 85000-85999 solid floors?, 358 cars
Additions and/or corrections are welcome.
John Hile



































[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


rwitt_2000
 

I have posted a copy of that photo, which I "ripped" from the internet,
in the Photos Section in a folder titled "USRA".

I recall, I posted it the last time we had this discussion in the
STMFPH· Steam Era Frt Car Group Photos in a folder titled "Gondolas".

The photo is of SL-SF 85954, USRA gondola, still with is original wood
sides, which I am sure is the same photo that Tim has.

Bob Witt



--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:


SLSF 85954 was still in revenue service in 1958 - I have a shot
of the car loaded with pipe. One plank had been removed to make
an open slot below the top of the side.

Tim O'Connor


At one point I tried to find unmodified (or least modified) 40' USRA
cars still listed in the 1/53 ORER with composite sides. Below are
my
notes...

ACL 99300-99443, 141 cars
GM&O 12200-12374 most w/solid floors, 170 cars
L&N 73000-74999, 19 cars
SLSF 85000-85999 solid floors?, 358 cars

Additions and/or corrections are welcome.

John Hile


Mark
 

Thank You, Bob!Mark Morgan

--- On Fri, 10/16/09, rwitt_2000 <rwitt_2000@...> wrote:

From: rwitt_2000 <rwitt_2000@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: USRA composite gondolas
To: STMFC@...
Date: Friday, October 16, 2009, 10:25 PM













 





I have posted a copy of that photo, which I "ripped" from the internet,

in the Photos Section in a folder titled "USRA".



I recall, I posted it the last time we had this discussion in the

STMFPH· Steam Era Frt Car Group Photos in a folder titled "Gondolas".



The photo is of SL-SF 85954, USRA gondola, still with is original wood

sides, which I am sure is the same photo that Tim has.



Bob Witt



--- In STMFC@yahoogroups. com, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@ ...> wrote:

SLSF 85954 was still in revenue service in 1958 - I have a shot
of the car loaded with pipe. One plank had been removed to make
an open slot below the top of the side.
Tim O'Connor
At one point I tried to find unmodified (or least modified) 40' USRA
cars still listed in the 1/53 ORER with composite sides. Below are
my

notes...
ACL 99300-99443, 141 cars
GM&O 12200-12374 most w/solid floors, 170 cars
L&N 73000-74999, 19 cars
SLSF 85000-85999 solid floors?, 358 cars
Additions and/or corrections are welcome.
John Hile


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




































[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
No good news here, Mark. Almost all of the USRA composite gondolas were rebuilt or scrapped by the end of WW II . . . I can't think of any other RRs that still had them in revenue service.
As so often happens <g>, Richard has a hard time remembering the SP freight car fleet. I would call your attention to the data in the table on page 68 of my gondola book.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history


Richard Hendrickson
 

On Oct 17, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
No good news here, Mark. Almost all of the USRA composite gondolas
were rebuilt or scrapped by the end of WW II . . . I can't think of
any other RRs that still had them in revenue service.
As so often happens <g>, Richard has a hard time remembering the
SP freight car fleet. I would call your attention to the data in the
table on page 68 of my gondola book.
I am of course, perfectly aware of the SP's small fleet of ex-EP&SW
USRA gondolas. However, the original inquiry was about cars that
lasted long enough to be plausibly modeled in the 1650s, and the
table on p. 68, to which I am so loftily referred, shows that only 66
of these cars remained in 1950 and only 1 in 1955. That's why I
didn't mention them; for the questioner's purposes, a small number of
cars which were unlikely to go off-line much in revenue service
clearly didn't qualify.

Richard Hendrickson


Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
I am of course, perfectly aware of the SP's small fleet of ex-EP&SW USRA gondolas. However, the original inquiry was about cars that lasted long enough to be plausibly modeled in the 1650s, and the table on p. 68, to which I am so loftily referred, shows that only 66 of these cars remained in 1950 and only 1 in 1955. That's why I didn't mention them; for the questioner's purposes, a small number of cars which were unlikely to go off-line much in revenue service clearly didn't qualify.
Nice recovery, Richard, but I was responding to your comments, which I guess I should have quoted at more length. You said:

Minneapolis & St. Louis had some refurbished ex-L&N cars, some of
which lasted into the early '50s, but only one of those was still listed in the 1/53 ORER. I can't think of any other RRs that still had them in revenue service.<<

Of course "plausibly modeled" allows the choice of any cut-off desired. Still, what I wanted to point out is that I COULD think of another railroad: SP did have them in revenue service (12 in 1953, incidentally), though of course in quite small numbers. I own one of the Intermountain cars but have not put it in service on my layout for exactly this reason.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@...
Publishers of books on railroad history