Topics

[CDN-frt-cars-n-ops] 8 Hatch Canadian Reefers

PBowers

I never noticed this being mentioned on this list but True Line Trains has announced the release of at least two versions of the Canadian overhead eight hatch steel refrigerator cars. The CN cars will have the regular reefer doors and the CP cars will have plug doors. There is no indication yet if they will do the CP regular door or CN plug door versions. Pacific Great Eastern BC Railway and Grand Trunk Western versions are also in the cars to be released.

Peter Bowers

So.... here is the scoop people....

I was hoping to get the samples here for the iHobby show to release
the same time as the ad was printed... which, of course, didn't happen.

We're very excited about this. A few things to note about the car:

1 - really detailed, I mean, really.

2 - version correct doors (thats PLUG and HINGED for those out there
who are where I was a few months ago)

3 - version correct brake wheels/housing. Yeah, you heard right.
UNIVERSAL or AJAX will come on your RTR kit. Want to do the rebuild?
We are offering the brake wheel kits seperately.

4 - brand spankin' new charcoal heater. This was a pain in the butt
to get right because they are so hard to come by. Don't worry - we
got you covered.

5 - photo-etch walkway (or wooden walkway depending on version)

6 - photo-etch brake platform

7 - TLT TRU-MATE couplers, if you don't like them, you can try the
Rapido ones, they are much better....

8 - TLT metal wheels and detailed trucks

9 - real chain (as on the brake chain)

10 - version correct (CN and CP) hatches

11 - drip tubes...yeah, I think I found the only photo where they
weren't ripped off....but...I did them!

12 - version correct liquidomoter (single and double)

13 - Due out in spring 2010

14 - CN, CP and PGE/BCOL assortments.

15 - GTW versions as well

16 - Some people on the group saw the drawings, and their feedback
has been very positive.

I am hoping to get rapid prototype samples here mid November in time
for the Toronto Christmas train show, so modellers can get an idea of
what they will look like.

Cheers,
Darren

---
Virus Database (VPS): 091029-0, 29/10/2009
Tested on: 29/10/2009 4:57:51 PM

devansprr

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, 4everwaiting@... wrote:

I never noticed this being mentioned on this list but True Line
Trains has announced the release of at least two versions of the
Canadian overhead eight hatch steel refrigerator cars. The CN cars
will have the regular reefer doors and the CP cars will have plug
doors. There is no indication yet if they will do the CP regular
door or CN plug door versions. Pacific Great Eastern BC Railway and
Grand Trunk Western versions are also in the cars to be released.

Peter Bowers
Pete,

Is there any info on when these cars were built? I looked through the '43 ORER and CP, CN, and GTW all list refeers with steel underframes and 42'6" outside length, and all of them have notes about unique characteristics (GTW was meat racks), multi-stage icing, underslung charcoal heaters, etc. They also had a 75,000 pound capacity - more than many similar sized reefers the roads had at that time.

Are these the cars?

I am trying to determine if they are valid WWII cars.

Thanks,
Dave Evans

steve l <stevelucas3@...>

Dale--Few of these cars were built before WWII. Both freight and express reefers were covered in an extensive series of articles in RMC a number of years back.

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "steve l" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

Dale--Few of these cars were built before WWII. Both freight and express reefers were covered in an extensive series of articles in RMC a number of years back.

Steve Lucas.
Steve & Group,

Is the RMC series on these reefers, or on reefers in general. I have some reefer info, but it does not mention these 8-hatch cars. Which RMC issues (approximate)? My last attempt at the on-line index was less than successful. (one hit for Culotta)

There are quite a few 42'6" cars in the '43 ORER for the Canadian roads that look to be recently built. Any chance these are the cars?

Thanks,
DAVE Evans

brianleppert@att.net

There was a three part article on "Canada's eight-hatch iced refigerator cars" in Railroad Model Craftsman Dec. 1995, Jan. and Feb. '96.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "devansprr" <devans1@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "steve l" <stevelucas3@> wrote:

Dale--Few of these cars were built before WWII. Both freight and express reefers were covered in an extensive series of articles in RMC a number of years back.

Steve Lucas.
Steve & Group,

Is the RMC series on these reefers, or on reefers in general. I have some reefer info, but it does not mention these 8-hatch cars. Which RMC issues (approximate)? My last attempt at the on-line index was less than successful. (one hit for Culotta)

There are quite a few 42'6" cars in the '43 ORER for the Canadian roads that look to be recently built. Any chance these are the cars?

Thanks,
DAVE Evans

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Dale and friends,

In Jim Harrison's SACRAMENTO NORTHERN GALLERY there is a photo taken circa 1956 of a short train at Lake Temescal near Oakland, California. The first car in the train is a GTW 8-hatch reefer. I thought it was a CN car until I put a glass on it last night and could barely make out the GTW reporting marks and herald. What it was doing in California is anyone's guess, but the train is eastbound, so it is probably and empty going home. All this shows that these 8-hatch cars are appropriate for U.S. modelers, and that the cars could even turn up on a road as small as the SN.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Garth Groff wrote:
In Jim Harrison's SACRAMENTO NORTHERN GALLERY there is a photo taken circa 1956 of a short train at Lake Temescal near Oakland, California. The first car in the train is a GTW 8-hatch reefer. I thought it was a CN car until I put a glass on it last night and could barely make out the GTW reporting marks and herald. What it was doing in California is anyone's guess, but the train is eastbound, so it is probably and empty going home. All this shows that these 8-hatch cars are appropriate for U.S. modelers, and that the cars could even turn up on a road as small as the SN.
Garth, by far the predominant use of those 8-hatch cars was for export meat, either to Canadian ports to go overseas, or to the U.S. You're right about the empty probably going ;home. There are photos of these cars in Los Angeles in the early 1960s, again presumably delivering meat. We tend to think of reefers as handling produce, and of course that happened in Canada too, but usually in conventional end- bunker cars, not the 8-hatch cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tony,

Do you think the GTW cars also carried meat, or might they have been in some other service? If so, does anyone on this list know of a major meat packer in GTW territory who might have shipped to California for export? I suppose one could also check a late 1950s ORER to see if any GTW reefers had meat rails or other special equipment. (Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and can't do that.)

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

Garth Groff wrote:
Do you think the GTW cars also carried meat, or might they have been in some other service? If so, does anyone on this list know of a major meat packer in GTW territory who might have shipped to California for export? I suppose one could also check a late 1950s ORER to see if any GTW reefers had meat rails or other special equipment. (Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and can't do that.)
Remember CN was GTW's parent, and the car may have been loaded on CN somewhere. I don't know why meat would be shipped to California for export, as Canada has perfectly good ports on both sides of the country. All the CN cars in the ORER with overhead tanks are AAR RAMH cars, meaning they are meat cars and have brine retention tanks, beef rails, and heaters.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "brianleppert@..." <brianleppert@...> wrote:

There was a three part article on "Canada's eight-hatch iced refigerator cars" in Railroad Model Craftsman Dec. 1995, Jan. and Feb. '96.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV
Brian,

Thanks for the good info. I will begin searching for the info, although later posts here seem to indicate these may have been predominantly post-war cars, as mentioned earlier.

Dave Evans

brianleppert@att.net

Everyone on this list who is also a member of the Southern Pacific Historical & Technical Society should remember the Fall 2002 issue of the SP Trainline magazine that had a very good article on the Salt Lake Division. Included therein was a reproduction of a switch list for freight train 2-563, Imlay to Sparks, Nevada (west bound), on May 5, 1944.

Included in this train is CN #209636, an eight-hatch reefer built in 1942. It was loaded with fish and destined to San Francisco, CA. Handling instructions for this car was "DNR"--do not re-ice.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV