From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim
Betz
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:14 AM
To: stmfc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Are We All Just a Bunch of Masochists?

I think we should rename this group "Resin Cars Anonymous" ... any one
want to be my "sponsor"? Only thing is ... twelve steps won't be near
enough.

19:38:00

Dave Nelson

Me: "Hi, My name is Dave. I buy kits of steam era freight cars... resin
kits".
Audience: "Hi Dave".
Me: "I started slow, buying just a few and actually building the kits, but
as time went on I was buying more and more".
Audience: Nods and mutters of personal awareness.
Me: "Now I just buy and store 'em with no thought of ever building them".

And so on.
Sound familiar?

Actually, I do have a purpose for my kits and that is as a hands-on example
of information that I can use to reproduce that car in 3d cad for use in
train simulator software.

Dave Nelson

Rob & Bev Manley

Dave, you are not alone,
I can help.
If any of those addictions are Burlington or Rock Island I would be happy to share your pain.

Signed: No chance of recovery in South Holland
Rob Manley

Me: "Hi, My name is Dave. I buy kits of steam era freight cars... resin
kits".
Audience: "Hi Dave".
Me: "I started slow, buying just a few and actually building the kits, but
as time went on I was buying more and more".
Audience: Nods and mutters of personal awareness.
Me: "Now I just buy and store 'em with no thought of ever building them".

And so on.
Sound familiar?

Actually, I do have a purpose for my kits and that is as a hands-on example
of information that I can use to reproduce that car in 3d cad for use in
train simulator software.

Dave Nelson

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Hi Group,

I have -- or had might be a better word -- a plan that I put in place
some years ago. I allow only one shelf for unbuilt kits. When that
shelf is full that means that a kit has to be built or sold off before
another can be purchased. This plan worked well for a several years. I
was actually able to stay ahead of the volume of incoming kits because
the stored ones were being built and added to the operational fleet.
Then I fell off the wagon... err... flatcar, gondola, whatever... and
now have kits stashed in various closets and cabinets around the house.

Yes, I am still building kits, but the incoming supply is arriving
faster than the erection shop production. And taking time to build a
layout has not helped the situation at all.

"Hi, my name is Bill. I buy kits of steam era freight cars... resin
kits."

Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Nov 4, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Rob & Bev Manley wrote:

[...]

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Dave;

Too familiar....

I have dreams in which I am building resin kits...difficult kits.

Then I wake up in a cold sweat.

Elden "fallin off the wagon" Gatwood

Me: "Hi, My name is Dave. I buy kits of steam era freight cars... resin
kits".
Audience: "Hi Dave".
Me: "I started slow, buying just a few and actually building the kits, but as
time went on I was buying more and more".
Audience: Nods and mutters of personal awareness.
Me: "Now I just buy and store 'em with no thought of ever building them".

And so on.
Sound familiar?

Actually, I do have a purpose for my kits and that is as a hands-on example
of information that I can use to reproduce that car in 3d cad for use in
train simulator software.

Dave Nelson

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

GUYZ,

           Good concept, just change 12 steps to 12 pages!

Fred Freitas

I think we should rename this group "Resin Cars Anonymous" ... any one
want to be my "sponsor"? Only thing is ... twelve steps won't be near enough.

D. Scott Chatfield

"Hi, my name is Scott, and I buy resin kits of steam era freight cars and I don't even model the steam era....."

Scott Chatfield
addicted to tank cars

steve l <stevelucas3@...>

I have an HO resin kit for a streamlined CPR 2200-series coach (built 1950) that I'm working on in the hotel room while away from home. Separate roof, sides, ends, floor, and the whole body has to be sanded after filling gaps to get a smooth side/roof joint. Being sure to true everything up square of course. I'm not totally happy with the moulded floor that comes with the kit, and am considering making a new one of 1/16" acrylic sheet for the base. And then the kit's vestibule end isn't as good as I'd like, and it just calls for an interior. The trucks on the prototype coach had a different shock absorber arrangement than the kit has (another change to be made). Drawings and photos of the real thing spread out all over the hotel room table. Now, this is getting really INVOLVED.

All of a sudden, resin STMFC's are much, much, simpler to build than this, even with resin-bashing...

So, about that "masochist" thing... :)

Steve Lucas.