From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Clark Propst
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:36 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Gondola loads

I've been thinking of a load I can put in my new Tangent gon. one that would
terminate on my layout. I have Central Valley through truss bridge members I
can use.

But, I'd like to try a covered load. I was thinking of a styrene base (so
the car can be emptied) with several "tent poles" for lack of a better term
glued upright. I would cover these with a single ply of toilet tissue. Then
paint a proper color hoping the paint will make the tissue more rigid.
Anyone ever try this?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

CJ Riley

I have done this, myself using both TP and tissue paper. May I suggest various odd shaped blocks of any material. Things like empty disposable razor cartridges or similar material can be draped easily with the paper and provide a defined but unidentifiable shape.

CJ Riley

I've been thinking of a load I can put in my new Tangent gon. one that would terminate on my layout. I have Central Valley through truss bridge members I can use.

But, I'd like to try a covered load. I was thinking of a styrene base (so the car can be emptied) with several "tent poles" for lack of a better term glued upright. I would cover these with a single ply of toilet tissue. Then paint a proper color hoping the paint will make the tissue more rigid.

Anyone ever try this?

Clark Propst

Mason City Iowa

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Brian Carlson wrote:
Yes, but instead of toilet paper, I've used tissues paper, paint does make it rigid.
Kleenex works for me--the key in my opinion is to avoid the "vacuum-packed," extremely rigid look, such as on the Chooch HO loads. Even a snug tarp does NOT, repeat NOT look anything like a Chooch load.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Friends,

In an Australian model train magazine I was given, used tea bags were suggested as good material for tarps.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

Anthony Thompson wrote:

Brian Carlson wrote:

Yes, but instead of toilet paper, I've used tissues paper, paint does make it rigid.
Kleenex works for me--the key in my opinion is to avoid the "vacuum-packed," extremely rigid look, such as on the Chooch HO loads. Even a snug tarp does NOT, repeat NOT look anything like a Chooch load.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

If you "paint" the TP with white glue, it looks less fuzzy, and takes on a
better, more "canvassy" shape and appearance, IMO. Then you can paint it
when dry, with a canvas or OD color, and highlight.

Elden Gatwood

From: Clark Propst <cepropst@netconx.net <mailto:cepropst%40netconx.net> >
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 1:35 PM

I've been thinking of a load I can put in my new Tangent gon. one that would
terminate on my layout. I have Central Valley through truss bridge members I
can use.

But, I'd like to try a covered load. I was thinking of a styrene base (so the
car can be emptied) with several "tent poles" for lack of a better term glued
upright. I would cover these with a single ply of toilet tissue. Then paint a
proper color hoping the paint will make the tissue more rigid.

Anyone ever try this?

Clark Propst

Mason City Iowa

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Clark;

Is it a PRR gon, SP, Wabash? An "originating" load would be very
appropriate.

There were several bridge manufacturers on the PRR that would make that
bridge load very realistic. Do you have the AAR loading rules?

Elden Gatwood

I've been thinking of a load I can put in my new Tangent gon. one that would
terminate on my layout. I have Central Valley through truss bridge members I
can use.

But, I'd like to try a covered load. I was thinking of a styrene base (so the
car can be emptied) with several "tent poles" for lack of a better term glued
upright. I would cover these with a single ply of toilet tissue. Then paint a
proper color hoping the paint will make the tissue more rigid.
Anyone ever try this?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

frograbbit602

Clark another material to use rather than tissue is camera lens cleaning paper/material, No fuzz. I have purchased the lens cleaning paper/material at camera stores. In addition, have used it for roof material ( no glue, just "paint it on".

Lester Breuer

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Clark Propst" <cepropst@...> wrote:

I've been thinking of a load I can put in my new Tangent gon. one that would terminate on my layout. I have Central Valley through truss bridge members I can use.

But, I'd like to try a covered load. I was thinking of a styrene base (so the car can be emptied) with several "tent poles" for lack of a better term glued upright. I would cover these with a single ply of toilet tissue. Then paint a proper color hoping the paint will make the tissue more rigid.
Anyone ever try this?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

And I was thinking of small drops of diluted black paint far oil spills too. The weather is too nice to work on the load now, but It'll go to S@##@! soon and I'll get'r done.
Thanks,
Clark Propst
Clark Propst

From: Clark Propst <cepropst@... <mailto:cepropst%40netconx.net> >
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 1:35 PM

I've been thinking of a load I can put in my new Tangent gon. one that would
terminate on my layout. I have Central Valley through truss bridge members I
can use.

But, I'd like to try a covered load. I was thinking of a styrene base (so the
car can be emptied) with several "tent poles" for lack of a better term glued
upright. I would cover these with a single ply of toilet tissue. Then paint a
proper color hoping the paint will make the tissue more rigid.

Anyone ever try this?

Clark Propst

Mason City Iowa

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>