----- Original Message -----
From: Tim O'Connor

Anyone have a build date for these cars? -- there were 11 of
them, this picture is from 1966 but the car is a 1950's version
of the PS-2 2893 and the group is listed in the 1963 ORER. This
photo is from 1966 (appears to have a 1964 paint date).

http://www.first-out.com/ebay/sept/1101075.jpg

Schuyler Larrabee

Kinda easy to read "NEW 6-54" on the side of the car . . .

SGL

Anyone have a build date for these cars? -- there were 11 of
them, this picture is from 1966 but the car is a 1950's version
of the PS-2 2893 and the group is listed in the 1963 ORER. This
photo is from 1966 (appears to have a 1964 paint date).

http://www.first-out.com/ebay/sept/1101075.jpg <http://www.first-out.com/ebay/sept/1101075.jpg>

Database version: 6.13650
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

Database version: 6.13650

Thanks Kurt. A couple of the usual wags thought they could read
the built date on the car, so it's nice to have actual facts. I'm
sure it would be a waste of time to try to explain to some people
that a "new" date is NOT the same as a build date. NEW is a tax
category that has consequences for equipment amortization and does
not necessarily have anything to do with the construction date.

I'd like to see a roof shot of one of the cars -- I can't recall
seeing hatches exactly like that before.

Tim O'Connor

According to Ed's article in the 9/05 RMJ, ASRX 602-611 were built in 1954.
Apparently a number of the "sugar cars" were delivered without roof hatches
with later installation by the buyer.

KL

Anyone have a build date for these cars? -- there were 11 of
them, this picture is from 1966 but the car is a 1950's version
of the PS-2 2893 and the group is listed in the 1963 ORER. This
photo is from 1966 (appears to have a 1964 paint date).

http://www.first-out.com/ebay/sept/1101075.jpg

Schuyler Larrabee

This "wag" would like to point out that the "NEW 6 54" date seems to bear a very close relationship
to Kurt's answer.

SGL

[...]

Greg Martin

Schuyler you old wag... #^)

This old wag has glasses but a nice big computer screen as well and when I
popped it up it sure did say New 6-54 on mine and I am pretty damn sure
taxes or not they would want to back date the car for accounting purposes or
any other reason...

Greg

In a message dated 11/6/2009 9:11:03 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
schuyler.larrabee@verizon.net writes:

This "wag" would like to point out that the "NEW 6 54" date seems to bear a
very close relationship
to Kurt's answer.

SGL

Thanks Kurt. A couple of the usual wags thought they could read
the built date on the car, so it's nice to have actual facts. I'm
sure it would be a waste of time to try to explain to some people
that a "new" date is NOT the same as a build date. NEW is a tax
category that has consequences for equipment amortization and does
not necessarily have anything to do with the construction date.

I'd like to see a roof shot of one of the cars -- I can't recall
seeing hatches exactly like that before.

Tim O'Connor

According to Ed's article in the 9/05 RMJ, ASRX 602-611 were built in
1954.
>Apparently a number of the "sugar cars" were delivered without roof
hatches
with later installation by the buyer.
>KL

Anyone have a build date for these cars? -- there were 11 of
them, this picture is from 1966 but the car is a 1950's version
of the PS-2 2893 and the group is listed in the 1963 ORER. This
photo is from 1966 (appears to have a 1964 paint date).

_http://www.first-http://www.fihttp://www.fihtt_
(http://www.first-out.com/ebay/sept/1101075.jpg)
<_http://www.first-http://www.fihttp://www.fihtt_ (http://www.first-out.com/ebay/sept/1101075.jpg) >

Database version: 6.13650
_http://www.pctools.http://www.phttp://www.pctooh_
(http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/)
<_http://www.pctools.http://www.pctohttp://www.pctooh_
(http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/) >

Database version: 6.13650
_http://www.pctools.http://www.pctohttp://www.pctooh_
(http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/)

Greg

It's a private car so for whatever reason they stenciled it NEW even
though the car has obviously been repainted. If you can find a photo
of a 12 year old repainted (not rebuilt) railroad owned car stenciled
NEW please share.

In any case, NEW is not BLT -- that's why the built date is located in
a different place and is even part of the current COTS stencil system.
A NEW car is a capital expenditure (i.e. after tax expense), while a
repainted or refurbished car is an expense (i.e. before income taxes).
The IRS was quite strict about when RR expenses could be capitalized.

Tim

At 11/7/2009 09:27 PM Saturday, you wrote:
Schuyler you old wag... #^)

This old wag has glasses but a nice big computer screen as well and when I
popped it up it sure did say New 6-54 on mine and I am pretty damn sure
taxes or not they would want to back date the car for accounting purposes or
any other reason...

Greg

Greg Martin

Tim and all,

If you would have only made it out to our PMR Meet in Salem Rails by the
River (shameless plug) you would have had an opportunity to get the guided
tour of the SP Brooklyn Roundhouse on Sunday Morning after the event. There
you will find a Union Pacific G-70-10 gondola in what appears to be it's
original paint that was built in 10/64 and still exhibits a NEW 10-64 where
the reweigh date should have shown the car being re-weighed at least every
thirty months or so, as it has been drummed into my head on this list. Well
guess what... what we have is a true museum piece and I don't think that
anyone realizes it.

Mark Kerlick and Stan were there as well and both took shots. Stan was
mostly interested in the NKP Alco PA.

If you would like a shot of the photo let me know and I will send you a
copy, but considering it is beyond the date of this list I don't feel it is
appropriate to post it to the files/photos section. Sorry it's not twelve
years old it is 45 years old and it's private owner is the Union Pacific. So
never say never...

Greg Martin

_timboconnor@comcast.net_ (mailto:timboconnor@comcast.net) writes:

Greg

It's a private car so for whatever reason they stenciled it NEW even
though the car has obviously been repainted. If you can find a photo of a 12
year old repainted (not rebuilt) railroad owned car stenciled NEW please share.

In any case, NEW is not BLT -- that's why the built date is located in a
different place and is even part of the current COTS stencil system. A NEW
car is a capital expenditure (i.e. after tax expense), while a repainted or
refurbished car is an expense (i.e. before income taxes).
The IRS was quite strict about when RR expenses could be capitalized.

Tim

Tim O'Connor

Greg

What's your point? I said show me a photo of a repainted car,
not a reweighed car. You're telling me the car was built in the
1960's and never repainted or rebuilt. What's unusual about that?
I've seen many such cars in photos and in person.

Tim O'Connor

At 11/8/2009 12:11 PM Sunday, you wrote:
[...]

terry irwin

All,

While the debate revolves around repainted vs. reweighed vs. blt vs. new, et al., I'd just like to mention that I asked Greg if he'd send me the photo off-list, which he kindly did. The UP gondola is exactly as he described it and I'm glad to have the photo for future reference.

Terry Irwin

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: timboconnor@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 14:17:17 -0500

[...]