SP boxcar lettering

Des Norman

Hi all,
I'm lettering a 1937 AAR 40ft boxcar. And I'm using the photo of SP 82765 in Ted Culotta's 'Steam era freight cars reference manual' vol.1 Page 159 as a guide.

However, there are some bits of text that I can't make out in the photo, so I'd be very grateful for some advice, please.

I've got the capacity, dimensions, New and Blt lettering, but what would be in the 2 blocks to the right of New, and also the extreme lower right?

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Regards,
Des Norman
Perth, Scotland

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Des Norman wrote:
However, there are some bits of text that I can't make out in the photo,
so I'd be very grateful for some advice, please.

I've got the capacity, dimensions, New and Blt lettering, but what would
be in the 2 blocks to the right of New, and also the extreme lower right?
Des, at extreme right is the repack data. Immediately to the right of "NEW" is the builder data; it says

BUILT BY
BETHLEHEM STEEL CO
JOHNSTOWN, PA

To the right of that, adjoining the door, is the equipment trust information. I can relay it to you if you REALLY want to know what it says.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Des Norman

Tony,
Many thanks for the prompt reply. I'll make do with what you've given me as the Champ decal set doesn't have the trust info, etc.

Regards,
Des Norman

Des Norman wrote:
Many thanks for the prompt reply. I'll make do with what you've given me as the Champ decal set doesn't have the trust info, etc.
Also be aware that when the car was repainted, SP would not have duplicated the builder data, and not always the trust data (after WW II they sometimes used a cast metal plate instead). Ted Culotta's Speedwitch decals for SP box cars do have a trust legend which could be used.

Publishers of books on railroad history