Sylvan Canadian freight car ends

Brian Carlson

I'd like to build some correct CP and CN boxcars to that end (no pun
intended) I need some of the sylvan parts. I know what I need and I talked
with the Sylvan people at Naperville who said they are focusing on vehicles
now so he didn't have any of the freight car parts. Does anyone know of a
shop that has these parts in stock?

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

steve l <stevelucas3@...>

Brian--

Doug's Train's in London, ON may have a few of the Sylvan ends and rooves--

drochefort@...

Have you checked out True Line Trains? They have produced CN and CPR 40' steel boxcars in HO with NSC-1 and NSC-2 ends--

http://www.hobbycraft.com/tlt/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=71

Modeller's Choice of Hamilton, ON has a fair selection of these cars.

http://www.modellerschoice.com/

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Brian J Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

I'd like to build some correct CP and CN boxcars to that end (no pun
intended) I need some of the sylvan parts. I know what I need and I talked
with the Sylvan people at Naperville who said they are focusing on vehicles
now so he didn't have any of the freight car parts. Does anyone know of a
shop that has these parts in stock?

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Brian Carlson

Thanks Steve: From the discussion I recall on this list there were issues
regarding the tooling of the TLT boxcars, which is why I have avoided them.
I also have Black Cat Decals I want to use. for the cars.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

Doug's Train's in London, ON may have a few of the Sylvan ends and rooves--

drochefort@... <mailto:drochefort%40odyssey.on.ca>

Have you checked out True Line Trains? They have produced CN and CPR 40'
steel boxcars in HO with NSC-1 and NSC-2 ends--

http://www.hobbycraft.com/tlt/index.php?option=com_content
<http://www.hobbycraft.com/tlt/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=
62&Itemid=71> &view=article&id=62&Itemid=71

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , "Brian J
Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

I'd like to build some correct CP and CN boxcars to that end (no pun
intended) I need some of the sylvan parts. I know what I need and I talked
with the Sylvan people at Naperville who said they are focusing on
vehicles
now so he didn't have any of the freight car parts. Does anyone know of a
shop that has these parts in stock?

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Armand Premo

Brian,I will be bringing several TLC cars for your inspection at Cocoa Beach in January.Armand Premo

Carlson" <prrk41361@...> wrote:

> I'd like to build some correct CP and CN boxcars to that end (no pun
> intended) I need some of the sylvan parts. I know what I need and I talked
> with the Sylvan people at Naperville who said they are focusing on
vehicles
> now so he didn't have any of the freight car parts. Does anyone know of a
> shop that has these parts in stock?
>
> Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
> Cheektowaga NY

Ian Cranstone

Brian, I offered a review of these cars in the pages of CN LINES a couple of issues back -- the biggest single problem with them is that the side ladders have been placed too far from the ends of the car. The first run of CN cars also suffered from some poor positioning of lettering, although I am led to believe that future runs will fix this problem. The Ontario Northland cars show built dates only correct for the first group of cars (90000-90569 if memory serves), with higher numbers having been constructed the following year. I have no comments on the CPR versions, not having studied them.

I have fixed one (so far) by using a chisel blade to cut the ladders free from the side (leaving the pin in place to fill the hole, and then drilling a hole through the ladder verticals and car side in the proper location, and using fine brass wire to form a pin to hold the ladder in place. Pinning the ladder in place works beautifully, but it will be a bit of a challenge to hide the filling on the car side. Fortunately, unless you're modelling these cars as they were brand new, weathering will go a long way to hide the patched paint.

Also, many on this list will object to the heaviness of some of the details such as grab irons and stirrup steps, so further detailing to choice may be necessary.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
freightcars.nakina.net