Painting Trucks- using a blaster as a modeling tool

Ned Carey <nedspam@...>

Don't have a grit blaster? Go get one. Those of us who have them
regard them as an absolutely essential modeling tool, on a par with
a good air brush.
Absolutely, I have done a clinic on blasting at the Cocoa meet in the past. You can do numerous things with a blaster:
a.. remove paint
b.. prepare surfaces for new paint with better adhesion
c.. clean metals for soldering
d.. remove solder residue
e.. remove glue residue
f.. remove mold release from resin parts
g.. remove lettering while leaving existing paint (change numbers)
h.. remove overzealous weathering while leaving existing paint

Grit - while researching my clinic I found that there appear to be multiple standards for grit size. Simply asking for 220 grit may not get you what you want.

I use the grit from North Coast Models. It is extremely fine and I suspect finer than many wind up using. I can blast plastic at 80+ PSI on plastic with no loss of detail. The size of the grit is more important than the pressure when it comes to preserving detail.

The North Coast cabinet comes with two nozzles. The larger of the two is great for stripping paint off models and more the size gun you would use for auto work. The other is a very small tip. You really need a small nozzle also for detail work. Honestly I think you need two guns, but if I had to choose I would pick a small airbrush size gun/tip.

Ned Carey

Rod Miller

80 PSI! Be aware that at that pressure, sheet
metal, e.g. brass on your favorite model, will
warp from the heat caused by the grit's action.
Possibly not a problem on smaller models such
as HO where the blasting time may be shorter.
I know people who have warped O scale diesel
bodies.

It that happens, blasting the opposite
side of the sheet MAY return it to its
pre-blasting shape, but IMHO it is much simpler
to avoid the problem in the first place.

Rod

Ned Carey wrote:
[...]

metal, . . . will
warp

I should have been more clear. I am NOT recomending 80 PSI, however I have blasted at those presures without damage.

I was trying to respond to the fears that many have about blasting their models. They think that delicate details will be blasted away. This is simply not true.

Ned Carey

Bob Jones <bobjonesmodels@...>

Hi , I think the action is actually stretching the brass , I never use more than 30 PSI , and try for less . Also I find that a 120 grit or finer does the job better . Glass beading is also very risky , I have had boiler bands "grow" with light pressure , just like shot peening , causing some angst and a good bit of extra work . I have used Black Beauty slag grit for removing old Floquil , one of the toughest jobs . Bob Jones , Ct

Ned Carey wrote:
[...]

Andy Carlson

Hi,
Ned mentioned the North Coast Hobbies line of media abrasives. John Polyak, proprietor of NC told me that he still is selling media blast booths, and fine sized media suitable for modeling purposes. He also has paint booths.

He can be contacted at <jrpolyak@...> and I encourage anyone contemplating a media blaster to contact him. Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Bill Welch

Actually I have been in touch with John and he is down to one blast media booth and is holding it for me. It sounds like his supplier is no longer. He does have blast media.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Hi,
Ned mentioned the North Coast Hobbies line of media abrasives. John Polyak, proprietor of NC told me that he still is selling media blast booths, and fine sized media suitable for modeling purposes. He also has paint booths.

He can be contacted at <jrpolyak@...> and I encourage anyone contemplating a media blaster to contact him. Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Chris Sawicki

Hi Bill- here's another source for anyone else still looking.

http://www.cycloneblasters.com/benchtop.htm

Chris Sawicki