Accurail Offset Twin

Bill Welch

Dennis, does Accurail intend to offer this with heap shields?

Bill Welch

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Dennis, does Accurail intend to offer this with heap shields?

Bill Welch
Bill,

Not at the present. The tooling was originally designed so it could be done with changeable inserts, until we realized that that would leave an objectionable "witness line" across what is supposed to be a flat continuous sheet. Since few of the triples had heap shields, we decided not to do it. When designing the twin, I see from Ed's roster that almost all the cars with heap shields are the AAR Alt. design, with the exception of L&N. Since these paint schemes are stand-ins at best anyway, we again decided not to worry about it. I can't say that we'll never do it, especially if someone wanted to commission a large custom run, but I don't see that happening. It will take new end inserts.

Dennis Storzek
Accurail, Inc.

rdgbuff56

Dennis,
I have a question. Is it worth the chance and expense to put another car on the market that has been done more than a couple of times before. It is already known that some shortcuts (leeway) have been taken to put this in production. Can you really make enough to have money to invest in future products? The Athearn car is fairly inexpensive and readily works for modelers who operate. If you need a well detailed car that might be different. I would think most modelers are looking for something new, not a rehash.

Francis A. Pehowic, Jr. in Sunbury, Pa.