Wright Trak SAL gondola kit

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

I'm about finished with a Wright Trak SAL gondola kit I bought from them at Trainfest. (Hope their models sold well)

If memory serves me correctly the kit contained the body, Tichy brake sprue, weight (which was too long), trucks, and a piece of brass wire, decals, plus two sheets of instructions.

The instructions included one typed page and one page with four photocopied photos of the constructed model. The instructions mentioned an inside floor and etched parts sprue, which were not in my kit. The builder didn't recommend using the etched parts anyway?

I was able to dig up the styrene for the floor, grab irons, sill steps, cut levers, and a brake platform.

Construction time was what you'd expect from a one piece bodied gon. Drilling holes for the grabs and steps and adding the Tichy brake parts.

One item missing from the kit that makes it impossible to finish is a good photo of a completed model or prototype. I had no idea what color to paint it or where to place the decals! I was able to obtain the information from a friend.

I paid $40 for the kit.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

jfbrewer@...

Clark,

I purchased this kit, as well as their NS low side gondola kit at Naperville; my kits appear to contain all the parts, even those that you are missing.  However, both contain the same sheet of basic instructions and no prototype information or finished model photographs.  I am still waiting on the decals for the NS kit as I understand Wright Trak was waiting to have then printed pending approval of their art work.  These kits aren't listed on their web site so there is no help available there.  I'm hoping once Wright Trak catches up wiith business after Naperville and Trainfest, the necessary information will be made available to us.

I made a cursory search on-line for photos of the prototypes, but couldn't find anything..

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD

[...]

I just decaled one side of the gon and about had a heart attack. The New Date on the decal sheet is 1957. I model 54. But, a quick glance at the prototype photos showed one with a reweigh date of 1950.

I find it extremely necessary to include a prototype data sheet with each model kit.

Decals are nice quality, no repack data though.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Clark Cooper

I'm about 2/3 the way through my SAL gon that I also picked up at TrainFest. My kit came with the etched parts sprue and a weight that was too long, but no floor. Despite the recommendations, I used the etched parts where I could since I paid good money for them. Oddly, however, the etched grabs are too wide for the precast bolt detail on the ends of the car, so I made some out of brass wire.

Does anyone know of any online photos of this car? Google isn't being very helpful.

Thanks.
Clark Cooper
Iowa City Iowa

On Nov 24, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Clark Propst wrote:

I just decaled one side of the gon and about had a heart attack. The New Date on the decal sheet is 1957. I model 54. But, a quick glance at the prototype photos showed one with a reweigh date of 1950.

I find it extremely necessary to include a prototype data sheet with each model kit.

Decals are nice quality, no repack data though.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

seaboard_1966

Jim

The instruction sheet was literally thrown together at the last moment. It
has been revised to include photos and the like. Here they are.

Denis Blake
WrightTRAK Railroad Model

[...]

07:46:00

seaboard_1966

Guys

Once again there is a problem with a WrightTRAK product. It appears that a few, perhaps as few as 3 or 4, were sold that were not complete. This apparently happened at Trainfest. If you purchased a gon and it did not have a floor please let us know. It would explain the couple we have laying around.

Also, with regard to the instructions. They were literally done at the very last second and include NO photos. Huge mistake. I have redone them and they now include photos of the cars in SAL and NS paint with several lettering variations included. If you have not gotten those please email me at dblake7@columbus.rr.com and I will get them right out to you. Several of you already have them waiting in your in box as I sent them when I saw the emails about the poor instructions.

Denis Blake
WrightTRAK Railroad Models.