Centralia Car Shops

asychis@...

Can someone tell me if Centralia Car Shops is still an independent company
or is their line now owned by InterMountain? Thanks.

Jerry Michels

asychis@...

Tim, you wrote: Right, CCS is custom Intermountain tooling.

That's unclear to me. Do you mean CCS is selling cars made by
InterMountain or the other way around? InterMountain has CCS cars on its website.

Jerry Michels

jfbrewer@...

Jerry,

AFAIK, Centrailia is still owned by Des Plaines Hobbies.  See:

http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/store/

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD

From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Centralia Car Shops
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 2:04 PM

Jerry

I don't know what the selling agreement is -- ask Ron! :-) IRC has

Bethlehem, Tichy, Red Caboose, et al for sale as well. I think CCS

is Ron Sebastian's name for his custom tooling, but the tooling is

(has always been AFAIK) at Intermountain. I suppose IRC could have

bought out CCS and retained the brand name...

Tim O

At 11/24/2009 03:52 PM Tuesday, you wrote:

Tim, you wrote: Right, CCS is custom Intermountain tooling.
That's unclear to me. Do you mean CCS is selling cars made by
InterMountain or the other way around? InterMountain has CCS cars on its website.
Jerry Michels

Rhbale@...

AFAIK Ron Sebastian owns Centrailia Car Shops, the name and the tooling and decides what should be built. InterMountain is responsible for manufacturing and marketing including direct sales and distribution to hobby retailers. The arrangement with Tichy is similiar.

Richard Bale

[...]

John Strenski

Bill and Group:

I had sent two e-mails to Intermountain requesting info on the Soo caboose tooling and received no response. Sounds like this is why.

Without making you feel uncomfortable did that un-named manufacturer have any plans for the Soo caboose?

Thanks.

John
WF TX

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bill Daniels <billinsf@...> wrote:

Actually I think it is just a case of allowing Intermountain to do the marketing. And I know for sure that some of the CCC tooling was NOT done by Intermountain since I've actually seen the tooling for their SOO line caboose at a highly regarded west coast manufacturer. I won't disclose the maker since I don't know if Ron would appreciate my disclosing who the maker was, even though their products are synonymous with high quality plastic components.

Bill Daniels

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Richard's response is exactly correct. While the dies are at the manufacturer, they are still owned by Ron/CCC and they need their permission to run them.  It's a shame they are no longer available, since I would like to have a couple of them...

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

[...]

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "kjstrenski" <kjstrenski@...> wrote:

Bill and Group:

I had sent two e-mails to Intermountain requesting info on the Soo caboose tooling and received no response. Sounds like this is why.

Without making you feel uncomfortable did that un-named manufacturer have any plans for the Soo caboose?

Thanks.

John
WF TX

No, because Ron just had my resin kit patterns copied after he bought the line from me.

Why not just order issue 24-2, Spring 2002 of The SOO from the society web site:

http://sooline.org/publications/theSOO/past.html

It has the same drawings I worked up for the kit patterns cleaned up for publication.

Dennis

Tim O'Connor

Bill, have you called DPH? I saw a lot of CCS kits on the shelves
when I went to Naperville a few weeks ago.

At 11/24/2009 05:10 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
Richard's response is exactly correct. While the dies are at the manufacturer, they are still owned by Ron/CCC and they need their permission to run them.� It's a shame they are no longer available, since I would like to have a couple of them...

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

jerryglow2

Actually it was for the last of the IMWX cars before Jerry Porter sold to RC. Randy Wilson an independent SoCal mold maker made the tool for the roof and ran it at a molding shop up the street from my shop in Brea CA. In fact, Randy brought it by to lightly bead blast it prior to running it. Somewhere I have some of the very first shots. I spoke to Frank Angstad (sp?) of Intermountain who was familiar with all this and had just been to the west coast leading me to believe it is that tool being used for Intermountain's Viking roof on their war emergency car.

Jerry Glow

Right, CCS is custom Intermountain tooling. DPH also has a
line of custom tooled S scale models. I believe it was DPH
who had the Viking roof made for the Red Caboose 1937 box cars.
I wish more retailers would take such a pro-active approach to
the hobby!

Tim O'Connor

Jerry,

AFAIK, Centrailia is still owned by Des Plaines Hobbies. See:

http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/store/

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

John Strenski

Dennis and Group:

I have this issue.

What I want is more Soo caboose kits.

I have four from their 1st run, but missed out on getting any from the 2nd.

John
WF TX

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "kjstrenski" <kjstrenski@> wrote:

Bill and Group:

I had sent two e-mails to Intermountain requesting info on the Soo caboose tooling and received no response. Sounds like this is why.

Without making you feel uncomfortable did that un-named manufacturer have any plans for the Soo caboose?

Thanks.

John
WF TX

No, because Ron just had my resin kit patterns copied after he bought the line from me.

Why not just order issue 24-2, Spring 2002 of The SOO from the society web site:

http://sooline.org/publications/theSOO/past.html

It has the same drawings I worked up for the kit patterns cleaned up for publication.

Dennis

Charlie Vlk

Since Ron hasn't chimed in here I'll repeat what I've heard him tell customers at Des Plaines Hobbies..... there are many irons in the fire and a rework/upgrade of the SOO Caboose is on the list but probably not anytime in the immediate future.
Charlie Vlk

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "kjstrenski" <kjstrenski@...> wrote:

Dennis and Group:

I have this issue.

What I want is more Soo caboose kits.

I have four from their 1st run, but missed out on getting any from the 2nd.

John
WF TX
Silly me. When you said, "did that un-named manufacturer have any
plans for the Soo caboose?" I thought you were looking for drawings, not future production.

Dennis