Pennsy box car # PRR81945

scott_w_krause

Could someone tell me about PRR 81945 a box car with a dreadnaught end door. It is in a photograph that appears to be in the late 1940's or 50's. I am looking for what era this car would have been in service and what class of cars they were in. Were they build for a specific type of service?

Tim O'Connor

Scott

PRR 81945 in 1950 is a 50 foot double door X41a box car - no mention
of any end door. The X41a/X41b series were postwar cars. Many of the
X41b's were equipped for LCL and painted in the Merchandise Service
paint scheme. (They were single 7 foot door cars.)

Tim O'Connor

At 11/24/2009 07:42 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
Could someone tell me about PRR 81945 a box car with a dreadnaught end door. It is in a photograph that appears to be in the late 1940's or 50's. I am looking for what era this car would have been in service and what class of cars they were in. Were they build for a specific type of service?

Bruce Smith

"scott_w_krause" <scott_w_krause@yahoo.com> 11/24/09 6:43 PM >>>
Could someone tell me about PRR 81945 a box car with a dreadnaught end
door. It is in a photograph that appears to be in the late 1940's or
50's. I am looking for what era this car would have been in service and
what class of cars they were in. Were they build for a specific type of
service?

PRR 81945 is class X41a, 81890-82089, built 1946. These cars served
into the PC era.
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=x41a.gif&fr=cl

This is a classic "Automobile car". It was likely equipped with
automobile loaders when built, and could be loaded either by the end
door or the side doors. Of course, with the racks stowed, the car could
be used for larger vehicles, or for general lading.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Tim O'Connor

Bruce, why would the 1950 ORER not mention the end doors, nor
automobile racks? In fact, there is a note in the ORER (VV) that
these cars had an inside height in the center that was taller
than the inside height at the sides of the car -- I think this
indicates no equipment (i.e. auto loader) stowed in the ceiling.

Tim O'Connor

At 11/24/2009 09:22 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
[...]

SUVCWORR@...

81945 is an X41a automobile car with end doors built post WWII (I don't have the exact date but it is between '45 and '48)

Rich Orr

Could someone tell me about PRR 81945 a box car with a dreadnaught end door. It
is in a photograph that appears to be in the late 1940's or 50's. I am looking
for what era this car would have been in service and what class of cars they
were in. Were they build for a specific type of service?

SUVCWORR@...

Tim:

The end door is the difference between and X41 (no end door) and an X41a (end door). As you stated the X41b were single door whereas the X41 and X41a were double door. The X41c was another double door car without end doors. The only difference I can find between the X41 and the X41c is the class of trucks. The X41 rode on 2DF26 A-3 ride control trucks while the X41c had 2DF26a A-3 ride control trucks. As with other PRR classes the manufacturer may have been different thus the subclass difference.

Rich Orr

PRR 81945 in 1950 is a 50 foot double door X41a box car - no mention
of any end door. The X41a/X41b series were postwar cars. Many of the
X41b's were equipped for LCL and painted in the Merchandise Service
paint scheme. (They were single 7 foot door cars.)

Tim O'Connor

At 11/24/2009 07:42 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
Could someone tell me about PRR 81945 a box car with a dreadnaught end door. It
is in a photograph that appears to be in the late 1940's or 50's. I am looking
for what era this car would have been in service and what class of cars they
were in. Were they build for a specific type of service?

Thanks, you've got me looking at X41's for the first time... and I
see they have very interesting roofs! And now I see Sunshine has a
kit for each of these cars. Cool!

Tim O'Connor