From: Bill Schneider
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:42 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Kit instructions: - was Stan's long stock car

Clark commented:
"because they are written just like Stan talks. He did not included (sic) several of the assembly steps"

Sorry Clark, too good to pass up... ! (will duck at Cocoa). Sadly, I have become so used to dealing with Chinese English ("your cars will have been shipped tomorrow"... think about that) that I almost missed it!

Seriously, resin kit instructions run the gamut from "Buy the kit, build the kit, paint the kit" to the "New Testament According to (your favorite "retiring" manufacturer here)". Some assume a certain level of familiarity with the prototype while others will tell you all that you want to know about the prototype - in text - with a minimum of photos.

Personally, I prefer a portfolio of good prototype and model photos along with some basic paragraphs of text explaining parts layout and departures from the norm in assembling the kit. I would assume (rightly or wrongly) a certain level of familiarity with building resin kits, but not always the same comfort level with the prototype. The kit manufacturer has already had to dig up the photos and/or drawings in order to design the kit, so either sharing them or at least pointing to a source would be very helpful for both detail and lettering placement. In may case at least it would prevent me from going to friendly sources on the opposite coast (thanks Dr. RH) to complete decaling a kit after spending untold hours assembling it!

Bill Schneider

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

According to Red Green, it's manly to throw the instructions away. However, you should keep the set in a foreign language is case you need to look at the photos.

Clark "Needing Bill to edit my emails" Propst

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

With resin kits priced at $40-50 today as a consumer I buy what I think I need, not necessarily knowing anything about the prototype car. I'm depending on the maker to provide me with not only good photos and text for construction, but knowledge of the prototype.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Dennis Williams

Hi, Clark.
  Knowledge of the prototype is the biggest help in my line of work.  Clean casting also helps. With some companys could use some help with the decals. Other than these, no other problems with 300+ kits built.   Dennis

Dennis Williams
Munhall, Pa.
www.resinbuilders4u.com