Topics

R-40-2 Re: MTH PFE Reefers

pwkrueger <kruegerp@...>

I was able to get a picture of the MTH R-40-2 last weekend.

Here it is if anyone is curious....
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/pwkrueger/WGH%20Seattle%202009/?action=view¤t=PB210392.jpg

Were all of these cars rebuilt into something else before WW2?

Thanks,
Paul
Seattle, WA

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Walters" <eddie_walters@...> wrote:

I just realised, I didn't make it clear I was referring to MTH's HO
line. Not that it seems to be that much different to their O gauge line
in accuracy!

Ed
--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Walters" <eddie_walters@> wrote:

I hate to mention toy trains on this list, but perhaps it's worth
getting the record straight on it!

What's the expert opinion on the new MTH PFE reefers shown in their
catalog, along with their articulated UP 4-12-2 and "Operating Action
Cars"... clearly their copy writers have at least skimmed through the
esteemed Mr Thompson's tome on the subject, as they've quoted a
paragraph from it, but is the model actually any good? I have my
doubts, but perhaps eventully MTH will get SOMETHING right and they
would be worth picking up.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Paul Krueger wrote:
I was able to get a picture of the MTH R-40-2 last weekend.

Here it is if anyone is curious....
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/pwkrueger/WGH%20Seattle%202009/?action=view¤t=PB210392.jpg

Were all of these cars rebuilt into something else before WW2?
The model pictured in Paul's photo has a vertical-staff brake, making it part of the first 1000 cars in this 2000-car class. It also models an as-built car, since it has the single grab iron at the left of the car side. There were also about 1400 cars from older classes rebuilt into the R-40-2 configuration in the 1928-1930 period, so almost 3500 cars at one time were classified as R-40-2.
These cars were all built (or rebuilt) with wooden superstructure framing. Many were accordingly rebuilt again (or reconditioned) by World War II. By 1950, all the cars originally built new as Class R-40-2 had been scrapped, but many of the rebuilds did continue in service a few more years. By the year I model, 1953, very few of even the rebuilds remained in service, but it's hard to track the R-40-2 cars rebuilt into, say, R-40-9, of which there were hundreds. The point, perhaps, is that those cars no longer carried R-40-2 car numbers or class lettering.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bruce Smith

"pwkrueger" <kruegerp@nwlink.com> 11/26/09 8:34 AM >>>
I was able to get a picture of the MTH R-40-2 last weekend.

Here it is if anyone is curious....
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/pwkrueger/WGH%20Seattle%202009/?action=view¤t=PB210392.jpg

Were all of these cars rebuilt into something else before WW2?

Paul,

No. A quick glance at Pacific Fruit Express (Thomson, Church and Jones)
shows that the R-40-2 cars numbered 659 cars in 1945 and were off the
roster by 1950. The very closely related R-40-4 cars (ladders instead
of grabs) were present in close to the same numbers (485 in 1945) but
lasted longer with more than 400 still on the roster in 1955 (467) and 3
cars on roster in 1965, but none by 1970.

Not a particularly common car in the greater scheme of things, so even
hard core PFE modelers don't need that many (there were only 2000 R-40-2
and 500 R-40-4 built) and they have been available for years as Tichy
kits and now RTR from IM so the choice by MTH is a little puzzling...
but maybe they don't care ;^) One wonders if they will do the brakes
correctly...

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

pwkrueger <kruegerp@...>

Thanks Tony and Bruce.

FWIW, I took a look at their catalog and it appears they aren't even selling it painted for PFE.

Paul

"pwkrueger" <kruegerp@...> 11/26/09 8:34 AM >>>

Paul Krueger wrote:
Thanks Tony and Bruce.
FWIW, I took a look at their catalog and it appears they aren't even selling it painted for PFE.
Now that IS curious. But probably they'll do so later.

Publishers of books on railroad history

jerryglow2

Actually if you look at the bottom of p22 of their catalog, you'll see they offer 3 different 6 packs but I don't see individual cars offered in PFE. A shame as Bruce Smith pointed out, it's not one even hard core PFE modelers need in great numbers.

Jerry Glow