Height of grab irons above running board laterals


Mark Heiden
 

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how high grab irons are mounted above the runing board laterals on boxcars? Put another way, how much space should there be between the bottom of the grab iron and the top of the running board lateral? I did a quick search of the archives but wasn't able to find this information.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden


Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Mark Heiden wrote:
Does anyone know how high grab irons are mounted above the runing board laterals on boxcars? Put another way, how much space should there be between the bottom of the grab iron and the top of the running board lateral? I did a quick search of the archives but wasn't able to find this information.
Same as the finger clearance under grab irons: two inches. Two and a half inches "preferred."

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history


Tim O'Connor
 

Tony, cool, I didn't know that. I've always used a piece of .030
styrene as a spacer for grabs. That works out to 2.6" HO scale...

Tim O'Connor

At 12/6/2009 05:40 PM Sunday, you wrote:
Mark Heiden wrote:
Does anyone know how high grab irons are mounted above the runing
board laterals on boxcars? Put another way, how much space should
there be between the bottom of the grab iron and the top of the
running board lateral? I did a quick search of the archives but
wasn't able to find this information.
Same as the finger clearance under grab irons: two inches. Two
and a half inches "preferred."

Tony Thompson


Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
 

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Tony, cool, I didn't know that. I've always used a piece of .030 styrene as a spacer for grabs. That works out to 2.6" HO scale...
You're welcome. I use a piece of styrene strip the same way. And BTW, the info is in the "Safety Applicance" pages of every Cyc.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history