Railway Gazette and Railway Age

Richard Townsend

Here's what I suspect is a forlorn hope: is there a comprehensive index to these publications? If not, other than by going through each issue, how does one find anything about, say, a steam era freight car? If there are annual indices, and they collected somewhere?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Townsend wrote:
Here's what I suspect is a forlorn hope: is there a comprehensive index to these publications? If not, other than by going through each issue, how does one find anything about, say, a steam era freight car? If there are annual indices, and they collected somewhere?
I"m not aware of a comprehensive index. The publications themselves prepared quite good and detailed annual indices, and these have usually been bound into the front of annual bound volumes at libraries. I have used them quite successfully over the years, and have found them accurate and complete.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Ed Hawkins

On Dec 18, 2009, at 1:11 PM, richtownsend@netscape.net wrote:

Here's what I suspect is a forlorn hope: is there a comprehensive
index to these publications? If not, other than by going through each
issue, how does one find anything about, say, a steam era freight car?
If there are annual indices, and they collected somewhere?

Richard Townsend
Richard,
Bound volumes, which typically covered 6 months of issues, each contain
an index. The Museum of Transportation and St. Louis Mercantile Library
both have large collections of bound volumes. Also, there are some
references to articles in Railway Age and Railway Mechanical Engineer
in some of the Car Builders' Cyclopedias.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

water.kresse@...

We just ran across some of those freight car articles being ripped out of bound volumes at a large big ten university library.

Even more-forlorned Al Kresse

Here's what I suspect is a forlorn hope: is there a comprehensive
index to these publications? If not, other than by going through each
issue, how does one find anything about, say, a steam era freight car?
If there are annual indices, and they collected somewhere?

 Richard Townsend
Richard,
Bound volumes, which typically covered 6 months of issues, each contain
an index. The Museum of Transportation and St. Louis Mercantile Library
both have large collections of bound volumes. Also, there are some
references to articles in Railway Age and Railway Mechanical Engineer
in some of the Car Builders' Cyclopedias.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

I guess some people think it's a lot cheaper than spending a couple of cents per page to photocopy them...

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

We just ran across some of those freight car articles being ripped out of bound volumes at a large big ten university library.

Even more-forlorned Al Kresse

Al and Patricia Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Richard - The NMRA library also has an excellent collection. If you're a member they will do research for you at nominal cost. BTW, I photocopied all relevant freight car articles prior to 1930 from RAG and other similar periodicals. If you're looking for something very specific and don't mind waiting I might be able to turn it up for you. - Al Westerfield