Spencer Kellog & Sons SKX tank cars.

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

I am working on a SC&F cast resin Standard Car Co. 6 course tank car to be lettered for the Spencer Kellogg & Sons vegetable oil refiners in Buffalo. Can anyone tell me about this company? My relevant ORERS, 1926, 1943, 1952, 1958 apparently do not list this company, nor its SKX reporting marks. I thus presume that this company must have existed during the 1930s- or .....?.

The only dates that I can read on the ultra fine decals enclosed in the kit are a build date of 1920, and some repack/reweigh dates in the 1950s. I cannot read the dates on the tank car photo.

Does anyone know whether or not Spencer Kellogg had any other tank cars besides #231?

Thank you

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

LOUIS WHITELEY <octoraro1@...>

The October 1948 ORER lists cars numbered from 5 to 364 totaling seven cars in the General American section with the SKX reporting marks.  They're listed with a 30 ton capacity.  I guess that gives us two more numbers to use.

Lou Whiteley
Lawrenceville, NJ

________________________________
I am working on a SC&F cast resin Standard Car Co. 6 course tank car
to be lettered for the Spencer Kellogg & Sons vegetable oil refiners
in Buffalo. Can anyone tell me about this company? My relevant
ORERS, 1926, 1943, 1952, 1958 apparently do not list this company,
nor its SKX reporting marks. I thus presume that this company must
have existed during the 1930s- or .....?.

The only dates that I can read on the ultra fine decals enclosed in
the kit are a build date of 1920, and some repack/reweigh dates in the
1950s. I cannot read the dates on the tank car photo.

Does anyone know whether or not Spencer Kellogg had any other tank
cars besides #231?

Thank you

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

LOUIS WHITELEY <octoraro1@...>

I just got the January 1943 ORER reprint from the NMRA.  The SKX cars are on page 956 -- 156 cars (updated April 1942).  The series with 231 lists 219 to 231 inclusive.

Lou Whiteley
Lawrencville, NJ

________________________________
I am working on a SC&F cast resin Standard Car Co. 6 course tank car
to be lettered for the Spencer Kellogg & Sons vegetable oil refiners
in Buffalo. Can anyone tell me about this company? My relevant
ORERS, 1926, 1943, 1952, 1958 apparently do not list this company,
nor its SKX reporting marks. I thus presume that this company must
have existed during the 1930s- or .....?.

The only dates that I can read on the ultra fine decals enclosed in
the kit are a build date of 1920, and some repack/reweigh dates in the
1950s. I cannot read the dates on the tank car photo.

Does anyone know whether or not Spencer Kellogg had any other tank
cars besides #231?

Thank you

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 19, 2009, at 4:56 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

I am working on a SC&F cast resin Standard Car Co. 6 course tank car
to be lettered for the Spencer Kellogg & Sons vegetable oil refiners
in Buffalo. Can anyone tell me about this company? My relevant
ORERS, 1926, 1943, 1952, 1958 apparently do not list this company,
nor its SKX reporting marks. I thus presume that this company must
have existed during the 1930s- or .....?.

The only dates that I can read on the ultra fine decals enclosed in
the kit are a build date of 1920, and some repack/reweigh dates in the
1950s. I cannot read the dates on the tank car photo.

Does anyone know whether or not Spencer Kellogg had any other tank
cars besides #231?
Denny, the reason you can't find SKX in the ORERs is that those cars
are listed under General American, who took them over in the 1930s
and operated them for Spencer Kellogg. There were 145 SKX cars in
1945. I'll send you a hi-res scan of SKX 231, as that photo came
from my collection, and you should be able to read the dates better.
Spencer Kellogg was a linseed oil refiner in Buffalo, NY. The
founder began making linseed oil in the 19th century, the company was
incorporated in 1912, and at one time it was the world's largest
producer of linseed oil. Google it and you'll find a lot of
information. Spen Kellogg, grandson of the founder, is a model
railroader and in the past has subscribed to this list. If he's
still on the list, he can give you the whole story of the company and
the family. He was, as you can imagine, extremely pleased when Jon
Cagle introduced the model.

Richard Hendrickson

docdenny34 <danspach@...>

[...]

Great information, Richard and Louis. I did look again in my 1943 ORER and there it was, but under K instead of S. Sometimes it takes a genius to point out the direction towards common sense.

However, I still can find neither hide nor hair of these cars nor the SKX reporting mark in the 1953 ORER under the GATX listings, so I presume that these cars had disappeared by that time and the cars had probably morphed to GATX reporting marks. Nes Pas?

That Spen Kellogg is a direct descendent of the principals of this firm is indeed exciting, and quite motivating. What a great coincidence! I was thinking of perhaps some other lettering, but..certainly not now!

If I have time this coming week...(heh, heh), I may go down to the CSRM library and look at ORERS 1948-53 in an attempt to plot the disappearance of these cars into the GATX fold and reporting marks.

Denny

drgwrail

Spen Kellogg lives here in Boulder.  I will see if I can find an e-mail address for him.

chuck yungkurth

[...]

Brian Carlson

Denny:

From Richard back in July.

Bill, the bad news is that Spencer Kellogg sold its tank car fleet to
General American in the World War II period and, though it leased the cars
back under SKX reporting marks, eventually those cars were absorbed into the
GATX fleet and there are no SKX cars in the 1/55 ORER.

The good news is that I have a 1959 photo of an STC car in GATX reporting
marks that was essentially the same as SKX 239 except that it had been
converted to AB air brakes, and I'll send it to you off list. Al Ferguson
at Black Cat Decals in Canada has an excellent GATX decal set which could be
used to letter the model.

Richard Hendrickson

I got a set of Al's decals for my circa 1957 car.

Brian J. Carlson, P.E.

Cheektowaga NY

[...]

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Denny Anspach:
That Spen Kellogg is a direct descendent of the principals of this firm is indeed exciting, and quite motivating. What a great coincidence! I was thinking of perhaps some other lettering, but..certainly not now!
Gee, Denny, don't get carried away! Spen and I volunteer at the Colorado RR Museum library on Wednesdays, and we certainly don't want him to get (as my grandmother used to say) "the big head". If I see him before leaving for Cocoa Beach I'll try to get his autograph for you.

Tom Madden

FRANK PEACOCK

Dr. Anspach, Spencer Kellog & Sons was Incorporated in NY in Aug. 1912 ( partnership established 1894). " Manufactures and deals in vegetable oils. Crushes flaxseed, castor beans, soy beans, copra, obtaining respectively linseed, castor, soy bean and coconut oils." Has refineries at Buffalo, Edgewater, NJ, Minneapolis, Long Beach, Decatur, IL, Chicago, Bellevue, Ohio. No mention of tank cars in the short article. Ref. 1949 Moody's Industrials, p. 278. FHP (Frank H. Peacock)

To: STMFC@...
From: danspach@...
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:56:24 -0800

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/