Tank Car lettering conventions

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Friends, would you kindly refer me to a ready source for learning standard tank car lettering conventions? I have studied many tank photos, some of them very nice high resolution, and either my eyes or the pixelated nature of the photos have prevented me from actually reading much of the lettering, or enough to determine patterns.

From what I am able to determine, it seemed common- required?- that both reporting marks and car number be repeated on the sides of the center sill, presumably so that if tank and frame were separated, the source of each could still be identified. Capacity and weight the same? What about other data?

Sometimes the decals provide the clues, but in instances presently at hand, no such clues are available (in one instance, the fine white lettering cannot be read against the light blue background decal paper!) .

Any suggestions, help would be much appreciated.

(There is nothing so very relaxing on a Christmas Day afternoon as a little dose of Prototype Freight car modeling, made especially pleasant by the smells of a prime rib roast in the oven downstairs).

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Denny Anspach wrote:
From what I am able to determine, it seemed common- required?- that both reporting marks and car number be repeated on the sides of the center sill, presumably so that if tank and frame were separated, the source of each could still be identified. Capacity and weight the same? What about other data?
As far as I know, Denny, this practice was at the discretion of the owner of the car (I've never seen an MCB or ARA/AAR lettering drawing with tank car center sill lettering). There are certainly a few photos out there of reasonably fresh tank car paint jobs and NO such lettering on center sills, but my impression is that a large majority of owners DID put initials and number on the center sill (and almost always, repack data are there too). But size and location of the lettering varied widely. This is especially evident in the many AC&F builder photos we have. So as with so many things, you need a prototype photo to letter your model correctly. Some owners did letter additional items on the center sill, as I gather you've noticed also.

(There is nothing so very relaxing on a Christmas Day afternoon as a little dose of Prototype Freight car modeling, made especially pleasant by the smells of a prime rib roast in the oven downstairs).
Quite true, though I lean to the situation where that roast is cooking at the house you'll visit later today for dinner, and thus someone ELSE will be doing the heroic mountain of dishes afterward. <g> At our house, the dishwasher is invariably ME.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 25, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Denny Anspach wrote:

Friends, would you kindly refer me to a ready source for learning
standard tank car lettering conventions? I have studied many tank
photos, some of them very nice high resolution, and either my eyes or
the pixelated nature of the photos have prevented me from actually
reading much of the lettering, or enough to determine patterns.

From what I am able to determine, it seemed common- required?- that
both reporting marks and car number be repeated on the sides of the
center sill, presumably so that if tank and frame were separated, the
source of each could still be identified. Capacity and weight the
same? What about other data?

Sometimes the decals provide the clues, but in instances presently at
hand, no such clues are available (in one instance, the fine white
lettering cannot be read against the light blue background decal
paper!) .

Any suggestions, help would be much appreciated.
As a general guide, which (among other things) explains the required
tank test data, one can hardly do better than the AAR Standard
Lettering and Marking Diagrams, which were published in every issue
of the Car Builders' Cyclopedias. Interestingly, These do not show
reporting marks and numbers on the center sill as a requirement,
though - as Tony Thompson has pointed out - most tank car owners, and
all of the major tank car leasing companies, did so. Nominal
capacity, light weight, and weigh station symbol and date were
generally just below the reporting marks and numbers on the tank, but
the exact arrangement varied (e.g., GATC tended to put them all on
the same line). Note, too, that tank cars, unlike other freight
cars, did not have to be periodically reweighed, as shippers were
charged on the basis of gallonage, not weight. Consequently, they
were reweighed only when repairs or modifications significantly
affected their light weight (e.g., the application of AB brake
equipment in place of K brakes). They often carried their NEW light
weight and weighing date for many years after they were built. As an
extreme case, I have a photo of a UTL Van Dyke car taken in the early
'50s which still bore the stenciling "NEW 4-12." though its trucks
(but not its KD brake equipment) had been changed. It should also be
pointed out that tank test data was simpler on cars (e.g., ICC -203s
in wine or corn oil service) that were not used for what the ICC
defined as "regulatory commodities" which would burn, explode,
corrode, etc. For more specific info, let me know off-list what
you're working on and I will consult my photo files.

Richard Hendrickson

docdenny34 <danspach@...>

Denny Anspach wrote:
From what I am able to determine, it seemed common- required?- that
[...]

Oh, yes. However, I have a children and grandchildren with whom I barter hospitality for such homely tasks.

Well, today, I am chef, cook, and bottle washer with my capable son-in-law as assistant- a Christmas present to Mama. I made pecan and mincemeat pies yesterday (only Grade B dark maple syrup, and roasted pecans!). While I relax at the computer and contemplate decal applications on my STEAM ERA FREIGHT CARS, I absent myself every 30 minutes to baste the roast . It will be removed from the oven when the core temp reaches 120º, and then allowed to rest for awhile until carved at the table.

Some of the very finest most tasty Prime Rib I can ever recall (more than once) was prepared by Southern Pacific Railroad chefs.

Denny

Denny Anspach wrote:
While I relax at the computer and contemplate decal applications on
my STEAM ERA FREIGHT CARS, I absent myself every 30 minutes to baste
the roast . It will be removed from the oven when the core temp
reaches 120º, and then allowed to rest for awhile until carved at
the table.
Aw, cut it out, Denny! You're making my mouth water all over my
keyboard!

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Kelly

The 1941 AAR Specifications for Tank Cars has a lettering diagram in
appendix C, this is the same drawing that appears in the Car Builder's
Cyclopedias. Note 6 to the diagram states "Car number and initials to be
stencilled on underframe center sills, or side sills, and on both truck
bolsters". No location on the center or side sills is specified so it may
be hard to find.

I too have trouble with that small white lettering in decal sets.
Sometimes, depending on the paper, coloring the back of the sheet with a
black Sharpie helps to make them easier to see.

Merry Christmas
Bill Kelly

Denny Anspach wrote:
Friends, would you kindly refer me to a ready source for learning
standard tank car lettering conventions? I have studied many tank
photos, some of them very nice high resolution, and either my eyes
or the pixelated nature of the photos have prevented me from actually
reading much of the lettering, or enough to determine patterns.

From what I am able to determine, it seemed common- required?- that
both reporting marks and car number be repeated on the sides of the
center sill, presumably so that if tank and frame were separated,
the source of each could still be identified. Capacity and weight the
same? What about other data?

Sometimes the decals provide the clues, but in instances presently
at hand, no such clues are available (in one instance, the fine white
lettering cannot be read against the light blue background decal
paper!) .

Any suggestions, help would be much appreciated.

(There is nothing so very relaxing on a Christmas Day afternoon as a

little dose of Prototype Freight car modeling, made especially
pleasant by the smells of a prime rib roast in the oven
downstairs).

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Save $10 on Flowers and Gifts!
Shop now at www.ftd.com/16714
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=wCi0Cy74QKCS6fIm38ha3wAAJ1B8efes6EaXV6Eq1UC1e4YpAAIAAAAUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVBAAAAABodHRwOi8vd3d3LmZ0ZC5jb20vMTY3MTQ=

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bill Kelly wrote:
The 1941 AAR Specifications for Tank Cars has a lettering diagram in appendix C, this is the same drawing that appears in the Car Builder'sCyclopedias. Note 6 to the diagram states "Car number and initials to be stencilled on underframe center sills, or side sills, and on both truck bolsters". No location on the center or side sills is specified so it may be hard to find.
The drawing in the 1946 Cyc, page 373, does not show anything about the center sill, Bill.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Mark

Wow Denny sounds good. My father likes it simple and asked if pizza would be okay. My wife made fudge, pistacio puddy, cold vegetable pizza, cheese ball and marshmallow crunches. I made pepperoni pizza and bacon, pepperoni pizza.

Mark Morgan in Ohio with rain.

[...]

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Denny,

Ours came out when it hit 125... half an hour later it was ready to slice and serve.
And it was perfect... with enough left over for roast beef sandwiches for days to come. We can get some locally roasted green Anaheim chillies to go with the sandwiches.

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep ress.com

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Denny,

You did better than I did... the only meal I had on a Southern Pacific Train (101) was courtesy of the automat. Yeccchhh!

Fortunately, the train had five PA's on the point as we went over Donner that morning, which made up for that unforgettable (no matter how hard I've tried) meal.

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...<thompson%40signaturepress.com>
To: STMFC@... <STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, December 25, 2009, 4:17 PM

Denny Anspach wrote:

While I relax at the computer and contemplate decal applications on
my STEAM ERA FREIGHT CARS, I absent myself every 30 minutes to baste
the roast . It will be removed from the oven when the core temp
reaches 120, and then allowed to rest for awhile until carved at

Bill Daniels wrote:
And it was perfect... with enough left over for roast beef sandwiches for days to come. We can get some locally roasted green Anaheim chillies to go with the sandwiches.
Boy, is my keyboard getting drenched . . . us Pacific Time Zone folks haven't eaten yet . . . boy, do those chilies sound great.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Maybe I should arrange to have some of our local (Hatch, NM is just down the Interstate from here) chilies shipped out... via a 40' PFE ice reefer (to keep this on subject).

And we are in the Mountain time zone, just an hour ahead of the Bay Area...

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

And it was perfect... with enough left over for roast beef
sandwiches for days to come. We can get some locally roasted green
Anaheim chillies to go with the sandwiches.

Boy, is my keyboard getting drenched . . . us Pacific Time Zone

folks haven't eaten yet . . . boy, do those chilies sound great.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep ress.com

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

It's rare to find meat in any mincemeat pie anymore... I've had several when a friend of mine was in the grass-fed beef business a couple of years ago. Karen would take orders for them several weeks before Thanksgiving. And I believe venison was the traditional meat. Nowadays, it's usually justraisins and apples... but it's still tasty.

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...<thompson%40signaturepress.com>
To: STMFC@... <STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, December 25, 2009, 4:17 PM

Bill Daniels wrote:
It's rare to find meat in any mincemeat pie anymore... I've had several when a friend of mine was in the grass-fed beef business a couple of years ago. Karen would take orders for them several weeks before Thanksgiving. And I believe venison was the traditional meat. Nowadays, it's usually justraisins and apples... but it's still tasty.
An ingredient of MAJOR proportions in the old-fashioned mincemeat pie was SUET. Lots of it. Makes that winter dessert stick to your ribs. <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

The cuisine of our ancestors was definitely not for the weak of diet... most people couldn't afford the luxury of wasting anything. And suet was high in calories, necessary for those winter nights before centralized heating.

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

It's rare to find meat in any mincemeat pie anymore... I've had
several when a friend of mine was in the grass-fed beef business a
couple of years ago. Karen would take orders for them several weeks
before Thanksgiving. And I believe venison was the traditional meat.
Nowadays, it's usually justraisins and apples... but it's still tasty.

An ingredient of MAJOR proportions in the old-fashioned

mincemeat pie was SUET. Lots of it. Makes that winter dessert stick to

your ribs. <g>

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress. com

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep ress.com

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Kelly

You are correct. I've seen several of these AAR tank car lettering
diagrams from various years and the underframe is never represented. The
CBC caption says "For Explanatory Notes See Manual,...", there you will
find note 6.

Later,
Bill Kelly

Tony Thompson wrote:
Bill Kelly wrote:
The 1941 AAR Specifications for Tank Cars has a lettering diagram
in appendix C, this is the same drawing that appears in the Car
Builder'sCyclopedias. Note 6 to the diagram states "Car number and
initials to be stencilled on underframe center sills, or side
sills, and on both truck bolsters". No location on the center or side
sills is specified so it may be hard to find.
The drawing in the 1946 Cyc, page 373, does not show anything
about the center sill, Bill.
Weight Loss Program
Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=BkKq-Au3T3dSfkjp3Cki4wAAJ1B8efes6EaXV6Eq1UC1e4YpAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEUgAAAAA=

Schuyler Larrabee

Denny Anspach wrote:
Well, today, I am chef, cook, and bottle washer with my capable son-in-law as assistant- a
Christmas present to Mama. I
made pecan and mincemeat pies yesterday (only Grade B dark maple syrup, and roasted pecans!).
While I relax at the
computer and contemplate decal applications on my STEAM ERA FREIGHT CARS, I absent myself every 30
minutes
to baste the roast . It will be removed from the oven when the core temp reaches 120º, and then
allowed to rest for
awhile until carved at the table.
First, I contributed my famous (not kidding!) scalloped potatoes to my cousin's dinner table last
night, two dishes worth, and none came home with us . . . 8^(

Today, I made our traditional Christmas Day dinner, Beef Bourguignonne, served very simply with rice
and a good green salad. Oh, and some fairly good wine, coffee and sweets.

Both recipes from the Joy of Cooking, but with variations based on ~40 years experience.

I am the cook every day, but haven't washed dishes for decades, a deal I consider as good as it
gets. It gets me out of the kitchen and dining room earlier so I can get to the steam era freight
cars . . .

SGL

Database version: 6.13990

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

The dishwasher here is doing the dishes (my wife refuses to do dishes, so when we redid the kitchen a Kitchen Aid dishwasher was spec'ed and installed... no more doing dishes in the sink!)

We had the standing rib roast for dinner, with a very nice wine (a BV Private Reserve Cab from 1986... I've owned the bottle since Christmas 1990... it's about time it got drunk.) Connie made a nice cherry cheesecake for desert, and it was a nice dinner...

I wonder if BV ever shipped out by rail... the winery (in Rutherford, CA in Napa Valley) is right across the street from the former SP Napa Valley line which is now the route of the Napa Valley Wine Train.

I hope everyone here had a good Christmas... with visions of tank cars dancing in their heads (obligatory freight car content).

Bill Daniels

Tucson, AZ

http://www.pctools. com/en/spyware- doctor-antivirus /