D&M and LS&I boxcar questions

Frank Valoczy <destron@...>

I'd have a couple of quick questions...

1. What roofs did Detroit & Mackinac 2800-3099 and Lake Superior &
Ishpeming 2201-2225 srs boxcars have?

2. Regarding the D&M cars: I've seen a number of photos, in some of which
the cars are in a grey (white? silver?) with black lettering, and some
which have a boxcar red; judging from the quite large "D&M" on the red
car, I'm assuming it's a later scheme than the grey/black one. What I'd
ask has two parts: A, when was the grey/black scheme first introduced? B,
what sort of livery were these cars most commonly found in in 1947?

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

Tim O'Connor

Frank

1. All of them have standard rectangular panel roofs.

2A. The earliest pictures I have of these cars in gray is 1962 but
I think they were first painted that way in the 1950's.

2B. The 2800-2999 were delivered in 1947, in plain lettering style
with freight car red paint. I have a 1956 color shot of such
a car if you need it.

Yes, the large D&M lettering appeared in the 1960's.

Tim O'Connor

I'd have a couple of quick questions...

1. What roofs did Detroit & Mackinac 2800-3099 and Lake Superior &
Ishpeming 2201-2225 srs boxcars have?

2. Regarding the D&M cars: I've seen a number of photos, in some of which
the cars are in a grey (white? silver?) with black lettering, and some
which have a boxcar red; judging from the quite large "D&M" on the red
car, I'm assuming it's a later scheme than the grey/black one. What I'd
ask has two parts: A, when was the grey/black scheme first introduced? B,
what sort of livery were these cars most commonly found in in 1947?

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

John Kellett

Tim,

John Kellett from Saginaw, MI.  Of all things I have been trying to get ahold of the D&M Historical society, but their email is defunct.

If you mind, could you email me a picture of the cars?  I have seen the 40' boxcar with the white over red with the large letters DM, but was stumped as to the earlier boxcars.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.

John Kellett
Saginaw, MI

[...]

Thanks much for the answers, Tim! I'd be grateful if you'd send me that
colour shot.

I have a couple of photos of the grey livery; I can't quite make out the
reweigh dates but they seem to be 50-something.

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

Tim O'Connor wrote:

[...]

!DSPAM:1291,4b5f45b7177556609812857!