Waddell Coal Hopper

ford.donald77 <ford.donald77@...>

I found an Old & Weary Wallde Coal Company hopper that I had forgotten about. It was a gift and the person who gave it thought it was CUTE!
Is it for real? The WDLX reporting marks were used in 1/1952-10/1957 by Waddell Coal but I don't have a ORER for that time period. The model is an Accurail USRA 50-ton 2 bay. Is that close or will I be wasting my time giving it the detail treatment, wire grabs, brake rigging and stuff.
Thanks before hand
Don Ford
Kanab UT

Malcolm H. Houck

From memory, the Waddell Coal Company of Scranton, PA
had five cars, all ex-O&W, and at least four of which
were painted orange.

Waddell Coal had a breaker located in Winton, PA, right
on the Scranton Division main line of the NYO&W. However,
the breaker was served by Wilkes Barre & Eastern branch
of the NYS&W, until the Erie (and correspondingly,
the NYS&W) gave up on the WB&E when the original
lease was up ca, 1939.

The Waddell Breaker soldiered on while being served by
the NYO&W until that line quit in 1957. After that, and for
what little business was still at hand Waddell Coal survived
by processing out the immense culm bank located on the east
side of the former O&W ROW. Much of the later work, through
the 1970's was part of a Federal and Pennsylvania Department
of Surface Mining sponsored reclamation program (which did
indeed rid the region of many, many eyesore culm banks and
slack dumps).

Waddell used trucks to deliver out its reprocessed "fines," much
of which went for use as boiler coal....with some quantity, I'm informed,
exported to Canada for use as power plant "Steam Coal."

The Waddell - Winton breaker was still operating in 1974 but,
interestingly, had suffered a fire which only burned off the skin
and sheathing. To view it from atop the former WB&E bridge
abutments was to see a breaker in operation with all the shakers
and conveyors in operation.

Although, as Bill Schneider mentions, there is at least one
identifiable color image of that which appears to be a
Waddell hopper in a freight consist, but there others
showing Waddell cars posed on a coal trestle. One
persistent rumor is that several of these cars were only
painted on one side, and then displayed by Waddell at
a dealer / distributor as a fashion of billboard and
advertisement -- all quite unsubstantiated.

Mal Houck

William Bryk <wmbryk@...>

It was one of a half-dozen second-hand hoppers, ex-NYO&W, that Waddell
repaired and painted bright orange as an advertising scheme. As I recall,
the years of usage are accurate: they were used during the Fifties, after
the Old Woman had scrapped her steamers.

Regards,
William Bryk

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:49 AM, ford.donald77 <ford.donald77@...>wrote:

I found an Old & Weary Wallde Coal Company hopper that I had forgotten
about. It was a gift and the person who gave it thought it was CUTE!
Is it for real? The WDLX reporting marks were used in 1/1952-10/1957 by
Waddell Coal but I don't have a ORER for that time period. The model is an
Accurail USRA 50-ton 2 bay. Is that close or will I be wasting my time
giving it the detail treatment, wire grabs, brake rigging and stuff.
Thanks before hand
Don Ford
Kanab UT

bob_karig <karig@...>

There were four Waddell hopper cars sold to that compamy by the New York, Ontario & Western in 1951. The paint scheme on the Old and Weary Car Shop cars is accurate. However, the original cars were, what I refer to as, the 1905 Common Design. The models from the Car Shop use the Accurail USRA model, because no one, HINT, no one, makes a model of the 1905 Common Design hopper car.

The Waddell cars were numbered 101 to 104. Three of the four had had twelve inch side extensions added to increase their capacity. It is unlikely that these cars ever left the line, but they do look good.

Bob Karig

William Bryk <wmbryk@...>

As Mr. Karig has literally written the book on hopper cars, I stand
corrected.

Regards,
William Bryk

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:48 AM, William Bryk <wmbryk@...> wrote:

[...]

The models were so popular that the Old & Weary Car Shop added a couple of car numbers, which had no prototype equivalent, to satisfy the demand of those modelers who wanted a fleet of these cars.

Bob Karig

Bill Schneider

Yep, was for real.

From memory, the Waddell Coal Company of Scranton, PA had five cars, all ex-O&W, and at least four of which were painted orange. The cars were two bays of (I believe) the 1905 standard design, but are quite close to the USRA in profile. FWIW, the graphics on the car are spot on (if I say so myself - I did them!), including the backwards "X" in one of the reporting marks.

The big question is whether these ever got off home rails (which in this case would have been NYO&W). There are several photos of them in Scranton, and one that I am reasonably confident of in Middletown NY (its in a train at a steep angle, but there are only so many orange two bay hoppers to choose from). My personal guess is that they were used to deliver coal from Waddell's breaker to regional dealers and didn't stray too far.

Bill Schneider
http://home.comcast.net/~oandw/

I found an Old & Weary Wallde Coal Company hopper that I had forgotten about. It was a gift and the person who gave it thought it was CUTE!
Is it for real? The WDLX reporting marks were used in 1/1952-10/1957 by Waddell Coal but I don't have a ORER for that time period. The model is an Accurail USRA 50-ton 2 bay. Is that close or will I be wasting my time giving it the detail treatment, wire grabs, brake rigging and stuff.
Thanks before hand
Don Ford
Kanab UT

Benjamin Hom

Bob Karig wrote:
"The models were so popular that the Old & Weary Car Shop added a couple of car numbers, which
had no prototype equivalent, to satisfy the demand of those modelers who wanted a fleet of
these cars."

Like the decal renumbering sets for Accurail's Rutland 7999?
(Sorry, Dennis.)

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

So, finally, somebody refers to photos. Are there any on line?

SGL

ex-O&W, and at least four of which were painted orange. The cars were two
bays of (I believe) the 1905 standard design, but are quite close to the
USRA in profile. FWIW, the graphics on the car are spot on (if I say so
myself - I did them!), including the backwards "X" in one of the reporting
marks.

The big question is whether these ever got off home rails (which in this
case would have been NYO&W). There are several photos of them in Scranton,
and one that I am reasonably confident of in Middletown NY (it's in a train
at a steep angle, but there are only so many orange two bay hoppers to
choose from). My personal guess is that they were used to deliver coal from
Waddell's breaker to regional dealers and didn't stray too far.

Bill Schneider
http://home.comcast.net/~oandw/

I found an Old & Weary Waddell Coal Company hopper that I had forgotten
about. It was a gift and the person who gave it thought it was CUTE!
Is it for real? The WDLX reporting marks were used in 1/1952-10/1957 by
Waddell Coal but I don't have a ORER for that time period. The model is an
Accurail USRA 50-ton 2 bay. Is that close or will I be wasting my time
giving it the detail treatment, wire grabs, brake rigging and stuff.
Thanks beforehand
Don Ford
Kanab UT

Database version: 6.14450
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

Database version: 6.14450

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., b.hom@... wrote:

Bob Karig wrote:
"The models were so popular that the Old & Weary Car Shop added a couple of car numbers, which
had no prototype equivalent, to satisfy the demand of those modelers who wanted a fleet of
these cars."

Like the decal renumbering sets for Accurail's Rutland 7999?
(Sorry, Dennis.)

Ben Hom

We also did that car pre-decorated as 7998 and 7997 for Hobby Stores Distributing. Repeat after me, the customer is always right... the customer....

Dennis

Bill Schneider

Not sure about on-line SGL, but photos appear in Bob's "Hard Coal and Coal Cars" book as well as Morning Sun's "O&W in Color" and "Trackside Around Scranton" titles.

Bill

So, finally, somebody refers to photos. Are there any on line?

SGL

I found an Old & Weary Waddell Coal Company hopper that I had forgotten
about. It was a gift and the person who gave it thought it was CUTE!
Is it for real? The WDLX reporting marks were used in 1/1952-10/1957 by
Waddell Coal but I don't have a ORER for that time period. The model is an
Accurail USRA 50-ton 2 bay. Is that close or will I be wasting my time
giving it the detail treatment, wire grabs, brake rigging and stuff.
Thanks beforehand
Don Ford
Kanab UT

Database version: 6.14450
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

Database version: 6.14450

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "ford.donald77" <ford.donald77@...> asked
I found an Old & Weary Wallde Coal Company hopper that I had forgotten about. > Is it for real?
Don, I don't recall where but there is a good color picture of 3 of these hoppers together on a siding.

Ed

bob_karig <karig@...>

I've just uploaded a color photo of a pair to the photo section. The photo is courtesy of Walter Kierzkowski.

The four cars are listed in the ORER as late as 1937. However, when they were sold to Waddell, they were equipped with K-series brakes. I don't have any evidence that the brakes were upgraded, so it is unlikely they traveled off road after 1953.

Bob Karig

--- In STMFC@..., "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

So, finally, somebody refers to photos. Are there any on line?

SGL

drgwrail

Back in 1948-49 period I used to Drive by the coal yard on Keyser Ave almost every day in Scranton where the four (?) Waddell hoppers were parked. As far as I recall they never moved and it was my impression that the cars were used to store coal that was trucked in and dumped into the cars for storage. But I could see no chutes or other means of loading coal into trucks for local deleivery.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO

[...]

That will do the trick. Must not have come to those pages in Bob's book yet
. . .

Do people actually buy "O&W In Color?"

SGL

[...]

railwayman <stevelucas3@...>

I bought it. Nice book.

Steve Lucas.
(closet O&W fan)

--- In STMFC@..., "Schuyler Larrabee" <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

That will do the trick. Must not have come to those pages in Bob's book yet
. . .

Do people actually buy "O&W In Color?"

SGL

Not sure about on-line SGL, but photos appear in Bob's "Hard Coal and Coal
Cars" book as well as Morning Sun's "O&W in Color" and "Trackside Around
Scranton" titles.

Bill

Malcolm H. Houck

Do people actually buy "O&W In Color?"

SGL

At least all of the 760 members of the Ontario & Western
Historical Society. . . and then, I presume all who just have
one of everything!

Mal Houck

Schuyler Larrabee

Do people actually buy "O&W In Color?"

SGL

At least all of the 760 members of the Ontario & Western
Historical Society. . . and then, I presume all who just have
one of everything!

Mal Houck

Mal, that was intended to needle Bill Schneider, who originally posted "Owen
W in color" as a reference, and, I suppose, anybody else who's passionate
about the O&W, as I know you are too. All in fun.

SGL

Database version: 6.14450

Bill Schneider

"Mal, that was intended to needle Bill Schneider..."

.... who was trying to ignore it :>)

So what's that weird road that you model SGL?

Bill

At least all of the 760 members of the Ontario & Western
Historical Society. . . and then, I presume all who just have
one of everything!

Mal Houck

Mal, that was intended to needle Bill Schneider, who originally posted "Owen
W in color" as a reference, and, I suppose, anybody else who's passionate
about the O&W, as I know you are too. All in fun.

SGL

Database version: 6.14450

Schuyler Larrabee

So what's that weird road that you model SGL?

Bill

The one that bought your left-over F7s.

SGL

Database version: 6.14450