Red Caboose Gen. Ser. SS Gondola

Mark

I purchased a Red Caboose General Service steel sided gondola kit. The car is Milwaukee #93143. Would this be correct?

The instructions mention a Southern Pacific version and Union Pacific.

Need one for my layout, based on the B&O in 1957 Newark Division.

Mark Morgan

Tim O'Connor

The model is a stand in for the Milwaukee cars built in 1949. I've
sent you a builder photo. No one makes an exact model for the MILW
cars.

Tim O'Connor

At 2/27/2010 06:44 PM Saturday, you wrote:
I purchased a Red Caboose General Service steel sided gondola kit. The car is Milwaukee #93143. Would this be correct?

The instructions mention a Southern Pacific version and Union Pacific.

Need one for my layout, based on the B&O in 1957 Newark Division.

Mark Morgan

Mark

Thanks, Tim.

The car does look similar!

Mark Morgan

The model is a stand in for the Milwaukee cars built in 1949. I've

sent you a builder photo. No one makes an exact model for the MILW

cars.

Tim O'Connor

At 2/27/2010 06:44 PM Saturday, you wrote:

I purchased a Red Caboose General Service steel sided gondola kit. The car is Milwaukee #93143. Would this be correct?
The instructions mention a Southern Pacific version and Union Pacific.
Need one for my layout, based on the B&O in 1957 Newark Division.
Mark Morgan

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 27, 2010, at 3:44 PM, bnonut wrote:

I purchased a Red Caboose General Service steel sided gondola kit.
The car is Milwaukee #93143. Would this be correct?
No. While MILW 93143 was a 41'6" steel GS gondola, its drop doors
were operated by individual Wine latches, not the Enterprise system
the model represents, which was quite different both in principle and
in appearance.

The instructions mention a Southern Pacific version and Union Pacific.
The model accurately represents the SP cars and is close to correct
as well for the postwar UP cars and some Illinois Central cars built
in 1940 (though those had early style Dreadnaught ends, rather than
the model's improved Dreadnaught ends). Offhand, I can't think of
cars owned by any other RRs that the model is correct for. Lots of
other RRs had steel GWS gondolas, but they had had different door
operating mechanisms.

SP and UP general service gondolas weren't likely to have strayed off-
line as far as the B&O very often, but the whole point of the GS
design was that almost anything could be loaded into them, and the SP
sometimes used them to ship lumber, bridge timbers, and the like.
Champ had an excellent set of Signature Line decals for these cars,
if it's still available.

Richard Hendrickson

Mark

Thank You for the reply Mr. Hendrickson. Alas another redo:-)

Mark Morgan

PS espee it will be!

[...]

Brian Termunde

There is a scrap dealer in Mojave, Calif., Purdy Company, IIRC.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, UT

c3BJZAMxNzA1MTY5NzI1BG1zZ0lkAzg4NzkzBHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNjcz
NjM5MDE-)
Posted by: "barrybennetttoo" _Barrybennetttoo@aol.com _
(mailto:Barrybennetttoo@aol.com?Subject= Re:%20Red%20Caboose%20Gen.%20Ser.%20SS%20Gondola)
_barryb2again _ (http://profiles.yahoo.com/barryb2again)
Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:43 am (PST)
Volume One of the Morning Sun 'Sp in Color' series has a Dick Kuelbs photo
on page 99 of GS gon # 361415 clearly labelled 'Do not load scrap or logs'
filled to the gunnells with steel scrap. Date of photo is Sept 16 1960,
location Mojave.

barrybennetttoo <Barrybennetttoo@...>

Volume One of the Morning Sun 'Sp in Color' series has a Dick Kuelbs photo
on page 99 of GS gon # 361415 clearly labelled 'Do not load scrap or logs'
filled to the gunnells with steel scrap. Date of photo is Sept 16 1960,
location Mojave.

It is probably heading for steelworks in Ca, but it may give a tenuous
reason for it to travel to the north east with similar loading.

Barry Bennett
Coventry, England.