Milw stock car

frograbbit602

All,
Building a Westerfield Milw stock car kit # 8021 as a Bettendorf car, series 104007 to 104506, delivered in 1927 with drop bottom doors as pictured in Mainline Modeler, Feb. 1983, p.77, 1928 Car Builders Cyc p. 151 or 1931 Car Builders Cyc p. 157 Question is the Bettendorf trucks: Is this truck available or what would be a close stand-in?

Lester Breuer

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 9, 2010, at 7:10 AM, frograbbit602 wrote:

All,
Building a Westerfield Milw stock car kit # 8021 as a Bettendorf
car, series 104007 to 104506, delivered in 1927 with drop bottom
doors as pictured in Mainline Modeler, Feb. 1983, p.77, 1928 Car
Builders Cyc p. 151 or 1931 Car Builders Cyc p. 157 Question is
the Bettendorf trucks: Is this truck available or what would be a
close stand-in?
Tahoe Model Works' excellent ARA Buckeye truck is very close -
probably as close as you're going to get.

Richard Hendrickson

frograbbit602

Richard, Thank You for pointing out the Tahoe Model Works ARA Buckeye truck. I will use them on the car.
Lester Breuer

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

On Mar 9, 2010, at 7:10 AM, frograbbit602 wrote:

All,
Building a Westerfield Milw stock car kit # 8021 as a Bettendorf
car, series 104007 to 104506, delivered in 1927 with drop bottom
doors as pictured in Mainline Modeler, Feb. 1983, p.77, 1928 Car
Builders Cyc p. 151 or 1931 Car Builders Cyc p. 157 Question is
the Bettendorf trucks: Is this truck available or what would be a
close stand-in?
Tahoe Model Works' excellent ARA Buckeye truck is very close -
probably as close as you're going to get.

Richard Hendrickson

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Yeah thanks Lester. For asking that question. Now I have to try to get a hold of Andy Carlson to buy three pair of trucks for my Milw stock cars!

Seems I made a serious mistake when I told the Monday Night Ops crew that hogs and sheep were hauled in double deck stock cars...'usually'.

I have three Westerfield Milw stock cars with single decks. Every ops the guys working the Decker job are pointing out that "these single deck cars say they have hogs in them. That can't be right!" Last session they accidently spotted one with hogs at the cattle pens.

So to save on confusion for them and to get them off you behind I ordered the double deck doors and a set of decals to renumber them. Might as well change the trucks while I'm at it....
Clark Propst

Steve SANDIFER

As I understand it, railroads had to provide two single deck or one double deck for the same price for 'small' animals like hogs and sheep. This was to prevent railroads from doubling the price. I have numerous records of sheep in single deck cars.

J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@sbcglobal.net
Home: 12027 Mulholland Dr., Meadows Place, TX 77477, 281-568-9918
Office: Southwest Central Church of Christ, 4011 W. Bellfort, Houston, TX
77025, 713-667-9417
Personal: http://www.geocities.com/stevesandifer2000/index
Church: http://www.swcentral.org