50' MDC single sheathed box cars (was Roundhouse 50' End door Boxcar)

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim,

IIRC, there were five body castings: double-door with end door, double-door w/o end door, double-door with WP plate and end door , double-door with WP plate and w/o end door, plus wide single door w/o end doors. I cannot tell you exactly which are correct, except the two WP plate cars which are both very close to prototype. I think the wide door is near correct for some T&P rebuilds, and the some double-door cars without the WP plate are good for T&P and MP. Richard can probably advise you better than I.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Garth Groff wrote

http://www.roundhousetrains.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=50%27+Single+Box&CatID=THRF&Page=1
stumbled onto listings for RTR versions of the 50' cars.
Whoa Nelly! I just noticed some of those cars have wide single doors.
Were single door cars always part of this line of cars? I only have
double door cars. Also, they make cars with end doors, but also cars
with no end doors and/or cars with a lumber door. Can anyone list
which -BODY- styles are prototypical for WP, T&P/MP, SLSF?

Thanks
Tim O'Connor

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Can anyone list which -BODY- styles are prototypical for WP, T&P/MP, SLSF?"

Garth Groff responded:
"IIRC, there were five body castings: double-door with end door,
double-door w/o end door, double-door with WP plate and end door ,
double-door with WP plate and w/o end door, plus wide single door w/o
end doors. I cannot tell you exactly which are correct, except the two
WP plate cars which are both very close to prototype. I think the wide
door is near correct for some T&P rebuilds, and the some double-door
cars without the WP plate are good for T&P and MP. Richard can probably
advise you better than I."

If you pull the RMJ article I cited earlier in this thread insted of engaging in idle speculation, it'll have the answers.

Ben Hom

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Garth,
What about the roofs? The ones on ebay were radial however I seem to remember the WP cars were flat roofs.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Andy Carlson

You remembered wrong. WP's cars were all Pullman radial roofed.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

________________________________
From: Jon Miller <atsf@izap.com>

What about the roofs? The ones on ebay were radial however I seem to
remember the WP cars were flat roofs.

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 16, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Garth G. Groff wrote:

Tim,

IIRC, there were five body castings: double-door with end door,
double-door w/o end door, double-door with WP plate and end door ,
double-door with WP plate and w/o end door, plus wide single door w/o
end doors. I cannot tell you exactly which are correct, except the two
WP plate cars which are both very close to prototype. I think the wide
door is near correct for some T&P rebuilds, and the some double-door
cars without the WP plate are good for T&P and MP. Richard can
probably
advise you better than I.
Yeah, I could, but that's why I wrote the article and published all
those photos in the first place. Been there, done that, and I have
better things to do with my time than produce what amounts to a
reprint for subscribers to the STMFC list.

Richard Hendrickson

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Yeah, I could, but that's why I wrote the article and published all those photos in the first place . . .
I can't find in the article any mention of the single-door cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Yeah, I could, but that's why I wrote the article and published all
those photos in the first place . . .
I can't find in the article any mention of the single-door
cars.
That's because the models were entirely bogus. When the T&P rebuilt
those cars with wider single doors, they also steel sheathed them.

Richard Hendrickson

Bill Welch

To be precise however, the T&P cars with the 8-foot Superior doors were wood sheathed. Richard's article in RMJ was the inspiration for all of these projects. I think there were actually two articles. There was one in MM written I believe by the late Paige Porter who worked for Roundhouse. I wish Paige and Brian could have collaborated on more projects.

Although I cannot find my notebook with T&P photos, I remember how surprised I was when after buying a photo of one of the T&P cars in service from Bob's that when I returned home I found that I had the identical photo from Wil Whittaker. Since the one from Bob's was an 8x10, while the one from Wil was smaller, it did not register when I saw it. Also it demonstrates that Wil and Col. McCoid may have known each other or at least traded a negative.

I should add that i really miss RMJ and MM.

Bill Welch

Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Yeah, I could, but that's why I wrote the article and published all
those photos in the first place . . .
I can't find in the article any mention of the single-door
cars.
That's because the models were entirely bogus. When the T&P rebuilt
those cars with wider single doors, they also steel sheathed them.

Richard Hendrickson

al_brown03

The second article in Richard's series, about the end-door cars, appears in RMJ 7/96.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

P.S. I have, I think, two of the MDC cars. Notes to self: (1) Find the cars. (2) Read Richard's articles. (3) Decide what to model, and do it.

P.P.S. It is a continuing pleasure to get educated by the experts on this list.

Al Brown wrote:
P.S. I have, I think, two of the MDC cars. Notes to self: (1) Find the cars. (2) Read Richard's articles. (3) Decide what to model, and do it.
I've been having a similar experience, though I did (2) already. Still got to deal with (1) and (3). Not sure what my original plan was, but I'm guessing Mopac.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Andy and Jon,

Last night while I was at home, I was able to check my materials on the WP cars. The WP cars did have radial roofs, same as the models. See John Ryczkowski's article WESTERN PACIFIC 50' SINGLE-SHEATHED AUTOMOBILE CARS in MM, March 1995. Both the general arrangement drawing and Jeff Koeller's scale plan show radial roofs. The GA drawing calls is a "Murphy All-Steel Flexible Roof", not Pullman. The cars, however, were Pullman-built.

My apologies to you all for being vague in my earlier answer to Tim, but I ask for a bit of slack. I can only post to the group while I'm at work, and so don't have access to my reference materials (which is why I don't answer many threads here). When I'm at home, I am locked out of Yahoo groups by the server at the university, and can only read and respond to the original poster. Yes, I could set up another account from home, but then I would see every message twice. I will be in this situation until I retire from UVA in three years (hopefully), and move everything over to my home computer.

Kind regards,

Garth Groff

From: Jon Miller <atsf@izap.com>

What about the roofs? The ones on ebay were radial however I seem to remember the WP cars were flat roofs.