Vulcan Trucks

Paul Hillman

Trying to locate some accurate, HO scale, Vulcan trucks, as used on the Haskell & Barker, C&WI wood gondola, at the Illinois RR Museum.

These were identified by Richard Hendrickson as Vulcan Trucks with Simplex truck-bolsters, all made by American Steel Foundries. The name "Simplex" is cast on the end of the truck-bolster. (Thank you Richard.)

I have seen Bethlehem Car Works Vulcan trucks, Walthers #718-1220, and Kadee Vulcan trucks, Walthers #380-515 (for references).

The Bethlehem Car Works Vulcan trucks seem to have a name cast on the end of the bolster but can't read it in "zooming", but the side-frames are "flatter" on top than the Kadee trucks, which have a different type truck-bolster.

I can't find better picture references, yet, for Vulcan trucks. Did Vulcan (ASF) make more than one side-frame design, IE) as Bethlehem versus Kadee styles?

Also, who else makes Vulcan trucks?

Thanks, Paul Hillman

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 16, 2010, at 1:37 PM, behillman wrote:

Trying to locate some accurate, HO scale, Vulcan trucks, as used on
the Haskell & Barker, C&WI wood gondola, at the Illinois RR Museum.
[snip]

I have seen Bethlehem Car Works Vulcan trucks, Walthers #718-1220,
and Kadee Vulcan trucks, Walthers #380-515 (for references).

The Bethlehem Car Works Vulcan trucks seem to have a name cast on
the end of the bolster but can't read it in "zooming", but the side-
frames are "flatter" on top than the Kadee trucks, which have a
different type truck-bolster.
Since the Kadee trucks can be dismantled, the bolster ends can be
modified with a file.

I can't find better picture references, yet, for Vulcan trucks. Did
Vulcan (ASF) make more than one side-frame design, IE) as Bethlehem
versus Kadee styles?
As in the case of Andrews trucks, which came in as many or more
variants, the name Vulcan identified a construction principle - cast
steel side frames with pedestals into which separate journal boxes
were bolted. ASF made Vulcan trucks over a long period of time, and
side frame configurations varied a lot. Early Vulcan side frames
were L-section, then progressed to a combination of L-section and U-
section, and finally to entirely U-section, as represented by the
Kadee models.

Also, who else makes Vulcan trucks?
Ulrich at one time (many years ago) made some fairly decent cast
metal Vulcan trucks in HO scale, and if you can find a pair on the
second-hand market, their side frames may be closer to what you want.

Richard Hendrickson

Rhbale@...

Attached is a Vulcan truck from the 1919 Car Builders Cyclopedia. Note the
size of the rail spikes.

Richard Bale

In a message dated 3/16/2010 6:42:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tgmadden@worldnet.att.net writes:

Tom, that's an Ulrich truck, but not a Vulcan; it's a Bettendorf T-
section.

Richard Hendrickson
Lack of freight car immersion showing...

Tom "but I can sure tell the difference between 2410 and 2411 Pullman
trucks" Madden

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

Also, who else makes Vulcan trucks?
Ulrich at one time (many years ago) made some fairly decent cast
metal Vulcan trucks in HO scale, and if you can find a pair on the
second-hand market, their side frames may be closer to what you want.

Richard Hendrickson
Here is what he needs:

http://www.irm.org/gallery/CWI1185/aab

These are U section trucks, as I believe the old Ulrich trucks were, but it's been a couple decades since I've seen a pair. At least the Kadee Vulcans will have the distinctive shape at the ends of the sideframes over the boxes.

IIRC, Canada Hobbycraft offered archbar trucks in their TruLine Trains line that had very nice Simplex bolsters. It may be possible that their bolster will fit other sideframes. One can always hope.

Dennis

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Here is what he needs:

http://www.irm.org/gallery/CWI1185/aab

These are U section trucks, as I believe the old Ulrich trucks were, but it's been a couple decades since I've seen a pair. At least the Kadee Vulcans will have the distinctive shape at the ends of the sideframes over the boxes.

IIRC, Canada Hobbycraft offered archbar trucks in their TruLine Trains line that had very nice Simplex bolsters. It may be possible that their bolster will fit other sideframes. One can always hope.

Dennis
Is this the Ulrich truck you mean, Dennis? (Scroll down in the listing for an enlarged view.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULRICH-40-GS-GONDOLA-Southern-Pacific-SP-91976_W0QQitemZ230448409129

Tom Madden

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tom Madden wrote:
Is this the Ulrich truck you mean, Dennis? (Scroll down in the listing for an enlarged view.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULRICH-40-GS-GONDOLA-Southern-Pacific-SP-91976_W0QQitemZ230448409129
That's a T-section truck, not a Vulcan.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

Tom Madden wrote:
Lack of freight car immersion showing...
Tom "but I can sure tell the difference between 2410 and 2411 Pullman trucks" Madden
Pullman had trucks?? <g>

Publishers of books on railroad history

Schuyler Larrabee

Here's some Vulcan trucks . . .

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Vulcan_trucks

OK, OK, that was a joke. What about these? Are these what he wants (shown
as an example)?

http://www.upbids.net/asp/detail.asp?id=43591 Or these:

http://www.linkandpinhobbies.com/Graphics/rgm_3216.jpg Or maybe these, in F
scale (?):

http://tttrains.com/largescale/bachmannfn3hopper.htm Or these, in HO
scale:

<http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://home.comcast.net/~stalbansrr/
ProtoInfo/Trucks/Vulcan.gif
<http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://home.comcast.net/~stalbansrr/
ProtoInfo/Trucks/Vulcan.gif&imgrefurl=http://home.comcast.net/~stalbansrr/Pr
otoInfo/Trucks/KadeeTrucks.htm&usg=__yQ5P4qfVcpDJdesSLJW1yMxKqXM=&h=102&w=22
8&sz=18&hl=en&start=9&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=ccatihzCGP3ZcM:&tbnh=48&tbnw=108&pre
v=/images%3Fq%3Dvulcan%2B%2Btrucks%2Brailroad%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26
rlz%3D1T4PCTA_enUS365US366%26tbs%3Disch:1>
&imgrefurl=http://home.comcast.net/~stalbansrr/ProtoInfo/Trucks/KadeeTrucks.
htm&usg=__yQ5P4qfVcpDJdesSLJW1yMxKqXM=&h=102&w=228&sz=18&hl=en&start=9&um=1&
itbs=1&tbnid=ccatihzCGP3ZcM:&tbnh=48&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvulcan%2B%2
Btrucks%2Brailroad%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4PCTA_enUS365US366%
26tbs%3Disch:1 >

I doubt what he wants is this, though:
rapid.org/board/showthread.php?p=1198008

(scroll down about 2/3 of the page.)

SGL (enjoying himself)

Lack of freight car immersion showing...
Tom "but I can sure tell the difference between 2410 and 2411
Pullman trucks" Madden
Pullman had trucks?? <g>

<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Database version: 6.14570
<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>

Database version: 6.14580

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

One of the problems with some (all?) Ulrich trucks is that they require the very maximum axle widths- up to 1.055"- to avoid running along lurching side to side like the most drunken of sailors. I have not measured the overall width of the trucks to determine whether this is because the bearing holes are just very deep, or the truck itself is overly-wide, but I strongly suspect the latter.

Richard's report and review of the new-production Kadee trucks is encouraging, and quite welcome. I have had one of Kadee's similar pre- production new-technology frames of one of their later-era trucks for about 18 months or so, and it is indeed a pretty fine piece of very clever work and a fine model to boot. I echo Richard's wish for 0.088" wheels, and (for me), I would further encourage that they be on steel axles to maximize rollability. That they continue to have some heft in their weight is very good inasmuch as this weight contributes directly to lowering the total car weight center of gravity, which can in turn pragmatically make up the difference resulting from the absence of a greater amount of weight higher above the rails.

I too am disappointed that the bolster height was not changed to the industry standard.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Sacramento

Aley, Jeff A

Denny,

For the Kadee truck in your possession: how does it roll w/ the stock wheelsets?

Regards,

-Jeff

[...]

On Mar 17, 2010, at 6:47 AM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

Here's some Vulcan trucks . . .
Schuyler, you're spending way too much time on the computer and not
nearly enough at the workbench. How are you progressing with the
DT&I gon?

Richard Hendrickson

Schuyler Larrabee

There's a medical reason for that. I'll send you some info off list.

SGL